No announcement yet.

Recently acquired Atlas 10100 lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me if this motor will work? Could pick it up for $40. Thanks!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by fmradio516 View Post
      Can anyone tell me if this motor will work? Could pick it up for $40. Thanks!
      That would probably be fine. The 1/3 HP is adequate for that lathe and it already has a mounting bracket to secure it to the bench. It's not obvious from the photo of the nameplate if it is reversible, but as has been mentioned, that is not necessarily a deal breaker.

If that or something else does not pan out, I can take a look out in my shed here tomorrow night. I live and work a bit north of Boston so may be a bit out of your way, but it's possible that I have something suitable here. If so, you would be welcome to it if you care to get it.
      Last edited by alanganes; 11-17-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post

That would probably be fine. The 1/3 HP is adequate for that lathe and it already has a mounting bracket to secure it to the bench. It's not obvious from the photo of the nameplate if it is reversible, but as has been mentioned, that is not necessarily a deal breaker.

If that or something else does not pan out, I can take a look out in my shed here tomorrow night. I live and work a bit north of Boston so may be a bit out of your way, but it's possible that I have something suitable here. If so, you would be welcome to it if you care to get it.
        Hey! That would be really really great! I am actually headed to MGH today for my wife to start radiation for the next 5 and a half weeks. Since its everyday, we are going to be staying in Pelham, NH. If we could work something out, that would be absolutely amazing! Thanks!

Comment

Hey! That would be really really great! I am actually headed to MGH today for my wife to start radiation for the next 5 and a half weeks. Since its everyday, we are going to be staying in Pelham, NH. If we could work something out, that would be absolutely amazing! Thanks!
          My apologies, I have not been at my computer and missed your reply the other day. I will take a look first thing tomorrow morning and let you know. Pelham is very close by and an easy trip from here. I'm sure we can arrange something if I have a motor here.

Sorry to hear that you are up this this way under those circumstances. I hope that all goes well for you both.

Will let you know.

-Al

Comment

OK so I took a look and yeah, I have a motor here that will be more the adequate for that machine. It is a 3/4HP capacitor start motor that can be wired to run on 115 or 230V. It is currently wired for 115V and is reversible. It has a mount and a 5./8" shaft. I tested it today and it runs just fine. A couple of photos below. Yours for the asking.

If you want to private message me here we can sort out the details of when and how to get this to you. I am obviously not on any timetable so at your convenience. Where you are staying is just a hop and a skip from here, so I could even leave it out front for you to pick one evening or whatever works best.

Please let me know.

-Al

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

If this particular Atlas has a thread-on chuck, he doesn't need a reversible motor. That way leads to pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                If this particular Atlas has a thread-on chuck, he doesn't need a reversible motor. That way leads to pain.
                I have two lathes with thread on chucks and reversible motors, it's never cauesd me any pain. I do get what you are saying, but it only takes a bit of care. Being able to run in reverse proved quite handy before I had a threading dial and had to back up my carriage after each pass, and on a few other odd occasions.

Beyond that, he needs a motor and this one is available...

Comment

I have three-phase, and a screw on chuck. I can slam it from full forward to full speed reverse after just lightly seating the chuck, and nothing bad happens, the chuck is tight as anything.

Doing a CUT in reverse is the danger point, not just reversing. If it is an interrupted cut, then the chuck is just plain coming off, and no question about it. Otherwise it "might" come off.
                  1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                    OK so I took a look and yeah, I have a motor here that will be more the adequate for that machine. It is a 3/4HP capacitor start motor that can be wired to run on 115 or 230V. It is currently wired for 115V and is reversible. It has a mount and a 5./8" shaft. I tested it today and it runs just fine. A couple of photos below. Yours for the asking.

If you want to private message me here we can sort out the details of when and how to get this to you. I am obviously not on any timetable so at your convenience. Where you are staying is just a hop and a skip from here, so I could even leave it out front for you to pick one evening or whatever works best.

Please let me know.

-Al
                    Hey Al! Sorry, I hadnt checked the forum for a few days, so just seeing this. I just replied to your message. Thanks!!!

Comment

Hey Al! Sorry, I hadnt checked the forum for a few days, so just seeing this. I just replied to your message. Thanks!!!
                      Sorry I had not seen your reply. Did you send a private message here? If so, I have not seen it. If you are still in the area here the offer stands. Let me know...
                      -Al

Comment

Working...
                      X