Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something of a gloat... good stuff anyhow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something of a gloat... good stuff anyhow.

Picked up, from a member of another group, a box-o-turret lathe stuff in the 5/8" shank that the Logan uses. Pics to follow He sort of left the payment open, so I paid him more than he will likely think it is worth. Some of it is broken, and some is tooling that I do not need, and have no way to use at the moment. But there are some good nuggets in it, too.

I had just made a floating reamer holder, and guess what was in the lot.... Yep a B&S floating holder, the ball bearing type. Also a couple knee tools, a few box tools, some with rollers (those need fixed) and some with plain "V" supports. And, a balance turning tool. It's a left hand tool, but that is not a problem, since for collets direction is no issue.

The rest are a bunch of plain adjustable holders, some non-adjustable, and several recessing tools, for which I would need to set up a ramp system, as I do not have one now. Plus some I do not know the purpose of, look shop made for some purpose.

Pics to come.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Pics.

General view,

Front right, recessing tools I have no ramps for (yet)
    Middle right, box of misc hardware
    back right, I have no idea what these were for
    Middle, these are useful almost immediately
    Back left, misc holder parts
    Middle and front left, I may use these

Hardware, I'll need more

This stuff is almost ready to use now

The 4 on the left may get used, I have to fix or make things to use them

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

ordinary holders are often useful

I have no way of using most of these now, but I may make the ramp/guide needed. They appear to be recessing tools, the one has its own plunger, the rest need a ramp. There are 6 total.

The innards of a ball bearing floating holder. Ball bearings only for thrust loads, snug fit for tension loads. Missing the neoprene centering ring, a very soft o-ring might work

Last edited by J Tiers; 09-24-2020, 12:40 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

what do the "recessing" tools do?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
          what do the "recessing" tools do?
          https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...r-what-164909/
          See second reply.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            Picked up, from a member of another group, a box-o-turret lathe stuff in the 5/8" shank that the Logan uses. Pics to follow He sort of left the payment open, so I paid him more than he will likely think it is worth.
            Not much of a gloat without a price.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Not much of a gloat without a price.
              Fussy fussy.... I consider it a gloat just to find this much turret lathe stuff at once, with useful and potentially useful items. Having more than you need is better than having less than you need.

Not mentioning the price, just because.....but I hope I paid more than expected, most all of the items need something to be done to them before use, but there are a number of pretty useful items that are worth the work.

What is needed? Well, lots of bushings, to start with, as the bushing size for most of these is 1/2" and smaller, and the other stuff I have uses a different size. Lots of set screws, of several sizes. The roller box tools need the rollers replaced, the balance tool needs rockers, the regular box tools need v-rests, there are some odd screw sizes that need making, as I doubt I can find them easily, that sort of thing.

Nothing that is very difficult to deal with. Bushings and set screws are just a fact of life with turret lathes, and I very likely can use the turret lathe itself to do runs of some of the small parts needed.

The recessing tools I will want to investigate, I have not used any before, and the capability is very useful.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

I have a recess tool as you call it, did not realize that is its use. I thought it was just an adjustment feature. And I have one with brass vee supports with tool for cutting long slender bits..
                I did buy an internal recess tool from KBC, they stocked some 3/4 and 5/8 turret tooling.. ....hold turret to stop, pull lever on recess tool to cut.. release and pull out.... parts coming off with 4 chamfers .. ! It was washers about .200 long with 4 chamfers..
                my favourite was a 2 roll knurling tool.. i was making knurled knobs for a boat mfg... once set. . Slide tool on....off ..finished knurl.. around 10 or 12 seconds.
                Setting turret tooling I found to be nice work ..

Comment

Not many people would have a use for that type of tooling, but just imagine the time and effort required to make just one of them. I recon you were very pleased with yourself.

Comment

Actually a lot of it can be used on an engine late at times. Mount it as you would a drill chuck for topslide use.
                    except a lot if what is shown , most of us have not laid hands or eyes on..... in that case you cant think of it.. ..

Comment

I will tell you that you suck.. I recently adapted an old Logan turret to my lathe, and have been searching for what you scored for the last six months. if you have doubles or something you don't need I would love to deal with you...

Comment

Originally posted by rusty reamer View Post
                        I will tell you that you suck.. I recently adapted an old Logan turret to my lathe, and have been searching for what you scored for the last six months. if you have doubles or something you don't need I would love to deal with you...
                        Searching....., Searching where, you don't even have a state listed in your profile. Don't expect to stumble over Screw Machine tooling a garage, tag, Estate Sale, Flea Market or swap meet.. Need to hunt the machine shop and manufacturing auctions.

When I bought a second-op lathe, I specifically bought one that used 3/4" shank tooling. Easier to find, less competition by the Hardinge, Feeler, etc lathe owners.
                        Last edited by reggie_obe; 09-24-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I have 1 inch shank turret tooling, and Herbert 2 D collets.. including many hex sizes available if anyone you know has one of these .
                          located in B.C. Canada..

Comment

Rusty, don't know where you looked but,
                            EBay today 600 plus listings .. some 5/8 stuff.. 130 lots on sold listings.
                            not allapplicable to hand op small turrets.. but more than you could carry is on there.. wont hurt to tell what size you need.

Comment

I have found pieces on ebay . Been snaked at the last second several times. I adapted an old logan turret, it uses the 5/8 tooling, seems like there is much that is 3/4 or 1". It is just hard to find that many pieces at one time. I would probably need to cash in my IRA to purchase that many at one time.. I have made a few holders. In my younger years I ran a manual screw machine, but I really don't have the use for high production these days, so it was kind of hobby effort. But I have a lot of stuff I don't really need, so heck I would have bought that stuff just as well .. good job

Comment

Working...
                              X