Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something of a gloat... good stuff anyhow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just updated my profile. I dont post often, and my profile must have been reset when the site changed. Anyway I live in San clemente CA.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty reamer View Post
      I just updated my profile. I dont post often, and my profile must have been reset when the site changed. Anyway I live in San clemente CA.
      Machine tools dot com lists auctions

Comment

Auction listing will not help much.. if there is that stuff, it will never get described well enough to make or break a decision to attend, and 5/8 and 3/4 is not seen in a lot of production shops unless they are big into small parts.
        Just like no auction flyer ever said .. We have. . And we Will.... auction off the reverse jaws for all the chucks ...seperately or in bunches of them ... with ABSOLUTELY now way of knowing which jaws fit too which loose chuck... or to the lathe that still has a chuck on it... i have seen that wayyyy too many times. .
        I will say this though, if there is a small turret being auctioned ... with toolholding the size you seek..... it would be a good idea to park yourself by the machine or tooling .. during preview and sale... you may get some real good contacts. . It works.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
          Not many people would have a use for that type of tooling, but just imagine the time and effort required to make just one of them. I recon you were very pleased with yourself.
          I do not need to "imagine" it.... I've done it...... And yes it takes some time. But you DO get what you want. There is one box tool missing from these pics, I am currently trying to blacken it using the potassium nitrate, since AN is not available to me at the moment. (The blackening is going slow, I cleaned the heck out f it and yet only certain areas are getting black.)

Knee tool, two adjustable tool holders

Innards of the floating reamer holder, before it was hardened and blackened (quenched in dirty oil)'

1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            Auction listing will not help much.. if there is that stuff, it will never get described well enough to make or break a decision to attend, and 5/8 and 3/4 is not seen in a lot of production shops unless they are big into small parts.
            1/2 abd 3/4" shant tooling were used in the 00 and 0 B&S screw machine and others. Plenty common in shops at one time. There is a screw machine shop auction next month that I'll go to as well as another very old/large shop auction that has nearly 700 lots of just tooling. It's out there, just not for the lazy, the excuse maker or the hen pecked.

Okay, so that should be 5/8 and 3/4"...
            Last edited by reggie_obe; 09-24-2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

No screw machine shops around here.. once in a while a turret lathe or two pops up..
              I sold my 2D cheap, to a guy with another ... 2 or 3 years later he scrapped them ... both of then had been in our building at separate times.,
              but yeah pretty scarce in some parts of N America.

Comment

Well, in the B&S catalog I have, from 1972, there is a list.

5/8" Logan, Sheldon, Wade, Hjorth, Derbyshire, South Bend

3/4" Logan, Rivett, Wade, Warner and Swasey, South Bend, Index, Hjorth, BSA/National Acme

1" BSA/National Acme, Bardons & Oliver, Clausing, Index, Logan, Monarch, Sheldon, South Bend, Wade, Warner & Swasey

So there is decent presence of known names in all sizes at and below 1" (1/2" was not offered by B&S)
                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I thought those parts looked familiar.

The story here is that, over ten years ago, needing to automate my little niche-market biz, but being unable to afford a decent CNC... well, anything, really, I converted my Logan over to a turret lathe. (Which seems to be a recurring theme here. )

I had an early attempt with a lever style turret, that, through idiocy too long to document here, wound up fitted with a Hardinge HC flat plate type turret. That worked, and I still have a video on YT showing it in action, but having to make one's own tools got to be a drag. I swapped that assembly (which I still have) for a capstan-wheel hex turret unit.

Said new turret came, oddly enough, with 7/8" tool holes, and no one has been able to adequately explain why. I rebored it out to 1", and set out to collect some tooling. It took over a year and about a grand, but eventually I was able to amass a small collection of proper tooling- mainly box tools and drill holders.

But, several times when I bought stuff from eBay or the like, I sound up with a "lot"- one or two useful items, and a bunch of ancillary parts I didn't need. I saved the 1" and 3/4" stuff that I could use, for the Logan, and being a packrat, stashed even the 5/8" stuff in the event I ever found a use for it.

I used the Logan for years, but then a couple of years ago, started the conversion over to CNC, because no matter how handy a good turret is, a decent CNC is better. (If you know how to run it, but that's another story. )

BUT... I'm much less skilled with CNC than I am with a turret, and I still need to make product. Earlier this summer I got a line on an actual Warner & Swasey No.2 turret lathe- the real thing, not a small converted hobby lathe. I picked it up and have been refurbishing it ever since (full thread here, if anyone's interested in that sordid tale) and while doing so, I got out my collection of the Logan tooling, that I'd set aside once I'd started the CNC conversion.

Same as before, the 1" stuff was ideal, though I kept some of the 3/4" stuff as well. In a thread on the refurb over on PM, another member offered me a couple of 1" tools that he couldn't use on a smaller Wade. He sent those to me, and I offered some of my unneeded 5/8" and 3/4" stuff in return. He said he wanted to stick with the 3/4", so the 5/8" made it's way to JT.

Restitution aside, I was just glad to see it go to someone that was going to use it.

And on that note, I'm still looking for some 1" tooling myself. I have quite a bit, but I'd love to have a manual recessing tool in 1" shank, another good knee tool (preferably with a micrometer adjustment) a slide tool (dial or fast-acting, preferably with a 1" shank, or that fits a 2-bolt W&S No.2 turret) a knurling tool with a 1"+ capacity, and a 3/4" to 1" Geometric or similar brand die head.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

First machine shop job I had was 10/73 to 10/75 in a tool room at a technical ceramics company. I made a lot of form tools and bits that fit into holders like yours. We had a couple dozen turret lathes from little 4 “ units from the Civil War era on a belt bench to more modern 10” stand alone units. Lots of cubby holes in wall units for keeping setups and sample parts. It was a great job but the company moved out of state to break a union.

Nice score !
                    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Doc, I think I have a second recess tool will take a look soon.. and I have a second knurling tool off a 2 D I think..4 bolt mount.. but it has air operated kneel holder, they retracted.. will try to find those.

Comment

It occurs to me that the "recessing tools" are really "swing tools", a more general description. The fancy one on the right is probably an internal chamfering tool, similar to a B&S #225, it swings a cutter to the side when the threaded rod hits a stop.
                        1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Here is a few that I have.. left one is 1 inch shank, recess tool is 15 inch shank it a genuine Herbert, right front is flange mount, 2 5/8 ×:2 1/4 pattern, with entering nub. Tool in back is 1.5 shank, to 1 inch holder, it has float or adjust on it. I stil have more to dig out.Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-25-08-41-49.png Views:	0 Size:	653.8 KB ID:	1901477
                          Last edited by 754; 09-29-2020, 12:40 PM. Reason: Add more description.

Comment

Nice lever type slide tool, good for grooves inside bores.

And that two-armed box tool is wild!
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM.
                            1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

And here is the KBC that I used in production, I will keep it as I am familiar with it, the other shown I will deal off .
                              KBC has raised the prices on these , like 3 times what I paid 2 decades back 380 I think. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-25-10-24-52.png
Views:	83
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1901496

Comment

That KBC looks pretty long..... must have had a good stroke on the ram to use it unless the groove was very near the mouth of the hole.
                                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X