Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something of a gloat... good stuff anyhow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you need killer recess and grooving tooling, try Bokum tools... not cheap , but man do they work

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
      If you need killer recess and grooving tooling, try Bokum tools... not cheap , but man do they work
      Their boring bars are the best..... I have a selection of them, and use them when I don't need carbide insert.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

754, I'd be interested in the lot, if you've a price in mind.

Not sure what the unit at the back right is, the left box tool is kind of an antique design and the right one looks like it's a flange mount rather than a shaft mount, but I'll bet I can make 'em work. Very interested in that recessing tool though- several of the products I'm hoping to run on this machine, need an internal O-ring groove.

My direct email is doc(at) docsmachine.com

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I will try to go dig them out, that was an old pic I found... may be another piece, had a tapholder... but ended up building a tapper so did not use on the turret lathe . Mostly due to coolant. .and lack of torque control the box tool on right bolted on direct to the turret but a stub can be made .
          will try to get a pic of back and sizes.

Comment

About 8 posts back, i added better descriptions of the tools shown. All British made by good makers.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
              I thought those parts looked familiar.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

And on that note, I'm still looking for some 1" tooling myself. I have quite a bit, but I'd love to have a manual recessing tool in 1" shank, another good knee tool (preferably with a micrometer adjustment) a slide tool (dial or fast-acting, preferably with a 1" shank, or that fits a 2-bolt W&S No.2 turret) a knurling tool with a 1"+ capacity, and a 3/4" to 1" Geometric or similar brand die head.

Doc.
              Doc, I sent you a private message.

Comment

Im jelly. Its ALL good tooling. My CNC lathe takes 5/8" shank. That stuff is expensive because us home shop folks have machines that can use it.

Were do you live again? And when do you go for donuts JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                  Doc, I sent you a private message.
                  -Reply sent.

754, were you waiting on a reply from me, or was I waiting on a reply from you?

JTiers, payment received, that was quite generous of you. I'm happy with the transaction if you're happy. Thank you!

Doc.

Comment

Doc, I have not dug out the other stuff yet.. I did add more info on the 4 prices to the picture post. , will look for more stuff soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      [The] recess tool is 15 inch shank it a genuine Herbert[...]
                      -I'll assume you mean a 1.5 inch.

Unfortunately, the absolute largest I can accommodate, using one of a bare few bolt-on holders I have, is 1.25". Any chance the shank on that recessing tool is removable?

Doc.

Comment

Yes 1.5 is correct. Not sure if it can be removed, but it did seem, like it can be turned down.. may also be used as a facing tool for short shoulders. Will have another look.

Comment

I've considered trying to turn down heavier shanks. There's not a lot of 1" stuff, probably in part because that's a popular home-shop size, and partly because that wasn't a popular industrial-use size, but there's a ton of 1.25 and 1.5-shank stuff.

Problem is, the bigger stuff is, well, bigger. I know even if I could turn down the shank on a big slide tool, the tool itself would be too large to work on my machine. (That and some of this stuff would be pretty hard to chuck up in order to turn down. Not impossible, but not always worth the effort, either.)

Doc.

Comment

Its just a 4 jaw job., unless it removes. The slightly bigger slide and tool being able to move gives facing capability or a taper slide ..maybe
                            was reading some Herbert literature.. their box roller tool , can take a 1.5 inch shaft to 1 inch , at 1000 rpm it said... pretty good I think.

Comment

Well, my Warner & Swasey is effectively a collet-only machine. Seems it was special ordered (we presume) to use Brown & Sharpe #22 collets, which are a "dead length" style screw machine collet. The presumption is it was originally ordered (back in 1939) likely specifically as a second-op machine; the dead length feature would be a lot more accurate for already-turned parts, than the W&S "push out" or "draw in " collets.

As such, the max capacity of a #22 is about 1-1/4". And really, the bulk of the parts I plan to produce on this machine, are going to be 1" and under, and 95% of them are going to be aluminum. I don't need particularly massive, beefy tools, nor am I going to be taking huge cuts.

The only reason I'd considered fitting tools with larger shanks is simply that I can't always easily find ones to properly fit.

Your recessing tool is likely a good candidate for turning down, assuming the shank isn't hollow.

Doc.

Comment

I had a 22 kicking around.. and KBC used to have them , think I bought it from them to find it's physically 1/2 size of s 2D collet with very identical features.
                                I should explore the overall travel of this, if it was near 2 inches, it could be a nice taper slide for engine lathe , powered by a cordless drill for a part I have made.. it is likely a slotted shaft against a pin..
                                1.5 mount is solid.

Comment

Working...
                                X