Made a rotating BB gun target for my grandson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a rotating BB gun target for my grandson

My grandson was 7 in September and is on a fast track to becoming a very competent outdoors man like his Dad. So for his birthday I built him a rotating target for his BB gun.

I'm a project guy and always have been so my stash of treasures for projects like this is substantial. I used what I had on hand.
    A 120 VAC rotisserie motor and shaft for a barbeque,
    A home made gear box to increase speed to 10 rpm,
    5 each 36" X 3/16" wood dowels,
    10 each 3" and 4 " diameter X 24 gauge aluminum disks painted red, black, yellow with a couple unpainted.
    Duct tape to hold the target disks to the dowels and dowels to the shaft
    Scrap lumber, a bungee and velcro webbing.

I drilled 3/16" holes through the hex shaft at different angles and slid the dowels through securing them with duct tape. Then taped the targets to the ends of the dowels. Plugged her in and away she went at 10 rpm. I stepped off 35 ft and took a shot with the Red Rider BB gun and bingo, hit the yellow target the first try.

Gave the Red Rider to my grandson and his first four shots were right on target. Then he started calling out the color he was aiming at and doing his best at rapid fire with a BB gun on a spinning target. It's clear I either have to make smaller targets or make it spin faster, probably should do both. And have him back 50 ft instead of 35.

Yes, there was machining involved. Making the gear box required bushings, making a square jack shaft for the gear box, turning down the non driven end of the shaft to fit into a nylon tubing clamp which acts as a bearing on the outboard end and drilling the shaft.

I started at 11:30 am and finished at 10:30 pm. Yes, it's made from scraps and held together with duct tape but it works like a dream and easy to maintain and change targets on. Needless to say my grandson was one happy kid.

I have a video of it on my iphone but when I send it to my computer all I get is audio. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I recently went to buy a Red Rider BB gun but got very discouraged when I seen they are now made China!!!!

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

very neat! Good use of materials and a happy grandson = a win for sure.

Comment

But......What kind of shot is your Grand-son?

Comment

Worlds best Gramp's hands down, not everything handed to the kid, still got to improve his skills but realizes how fortunate he's got it cuz his buddy's all want to come over and use the shooting range... "Hey where can my parents get one?" they can't, it's a OOAK from my Grandpa.... awesome.

Comment

Alexander Calder lives! A motorized mobile sculpture and a bb gun target! Good stuff indeed. If one chokes at buying a new Red Ryder that is made in China you can find vintage ones online. I have a Daisy from 1927 and has greater range and punch than the Chinese made Daisy. I 3d printed a clip on picatinny rail and mounted a red dot sight on the Daisy, so that i can still shoot well enough to make the starlings nervous, despite my poor eyesight.

Comment

Good job

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                But......What kind of shot is your Grand-son?
                He seems to be able to handle the Red Rider pretty good. I saw him hit 4 in a row the first time shooting at the target and he was in rapid fire mode. He probably hits 7 out of 10 or more now that he's had some practice. Hence my comment that I will have to speed it up and/or make smaller targets.

Comment

Originally posted by ahidley View Post
                  Good job
                  Thanks Andy. Making the gear box and keeping the gears in mesh was the hardest part. About 6 or 7 in the evening when things weren't going so well I remember thinking about your Darex chuck project. I still think you should post that project.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    Worlds best Gramp's hands down, not everything handed to the kid, still got to improve his skills but realizes how fortunate he's got it cuz his buddy's all want to come over and use the shooting range... "Hey where can my parents get one?" they can't, it's a OOAK from my Grandpa.... awesome.
                    From what I hear the rotating target is pretty popular as was his sword and shield I made for his 6th birthday. The sword wasn't anything special but the shield was kind of a work of art. I hammered it out of a 16" mild steel gold pan. So when it was finished and the hammered texture polished up it looked like a million bucks. My daughter and son in law are making me sign and date these type of projects.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
                      Alexander Calder lives! A motorized mobile sculpture and a bb gun target! Good stuff indeed. If one chokes at buying a new Red Ryder that is made in China you can find vintage ones online. I have a Daisy from 1927 and has greater range and punch than the Chinese made Daisy. I 3d printed a clip on picatinny rail and mounted a red dot sight on the Daisy, so that i can still shoot well enough to make the starlings nervous, despite my poor eyesight.
                      Thanks for the comparison. I didn't know who Alexander Calder was so I looked him up. He made some pretty stuff. My grandson's Red Rider has a red fiber optic front sight which means it's probably one of the newer ones I would guess.

Comment

Nc5a there are some here that dont appreciate my efforts as you know...

Anyhow you talked of speeding up the rotation and or making the targets smaller. Perhaps try making the od of the targets rotation larger, i.e. longer shafts.

I'm still hitting 800yards pretty consistently with the AR chambered in .223

Teach the youngun all about bullet drop, drift. anti-cant, etc . It affects every shot just more so with the red rider.
                        Soon you'll be taking the red rider apart and putting a heavier spring in it!!lol

Comment

That's neat.

My grandfather made a dresser for me when I was young. I still have it and use it for storage in the shop. One day I may refinish it and make a gift to one of my granddaughters for their offspring. I wanted to do that for my daughter, but never got a round'tuit.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Great job. He'll have hours of fun with that.

Comment

Im going to be the vote of dissent, That target is unsafe for use with standard steel bb's, even with good eye protection. IDC if the plates are aluminum, they can cause a ricochet that will bounce it back in the shooters direction. Replace them with soft wood or plastic that will absorb the bb's or switch him to a pellet gun with lead pellets and still wear eye protection.

Comment

Working...
                              X