Made a rotating BB gun target for my grandson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
    I recently went to buy a Red Rider BB gun but got very discouraged when I seen they are now made China!!!!

THANX RICH
    Are you stuck living in 1972 ? ? ?

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by akajun View Post
      Im going to be the vote of dissent, That target is unsafe for use with standard steel bb's, even with good eye protection. IDC if the plates are aluminum, they can cause a ricochet that will bounce it back in the shooters direction. Replace them with soft wood or plastic that will absorb the bb's or switch him to a pellet gun with lead pellets and still wear eye protection.
      No one cares.

-D
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Are you stuck living in 1972 ? ? ?

-D
        I guess so!!!!
        THANX RICH
        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Very nice education for your Grandson! He will more than likely remember this when or if he has grandkids in the future. He also is learning not everything fun has to be bought. Making stuff by hand is the way to go. And it can easily be fixed if need be.. Great job Gramps.. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Pretty spiffy looking, nice work. Different that what I expected to see, was thinking: painted ducks on a rotating wheel behind some sort of river scene like in a carnival arcade.
            Much better than that.

Comment

Some have said that i must have been a curmudgeon from day one, as i am so good at it. Certainly i was independent. Be that as it may, i had a talent for making things which i enjoyed as much as with playing with store boughten toys. My dad and later my step-dad both were do it yerslf types and i picked up many skills. If either of my pops made me something, they included me in the process. Those toys were precious to me. It turned out that both their lives were tragically short, but i learned a great deal from them. Any gramp willing to take the time to make something for his grandchild is a hero. Don’t Forget That

Comment

Originally posted by akajun View Post
                Im going to be the vote of dissent, That target is unsafe for use with standard steel bb's, even with good eye protection. IDC if the plates are aluminum, they can cause a ricochet that will bounce it back in the shooters direction. Replace them with soft wood or plastic that will absorb the bb's or switch him to a pellet gun with lead pellets and still wear eye protection.
                Conventional steel BBs can ricochet off more than metal; rocks, brick, even hard wood. Fortunately, ricochets eat up a lot of energy, so the post-ricochet BB isn't terribly dangerous.

However, if there is still concern, consider the frangible BBs now available.

https://www.pyramydair.com/video-det...ngible_BBs/512

https://www.pyramydair.com/video-det...t_Shot_BBs/359

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Going back 60 years or so, one of my friends had a Daisy repeating air rifle. These were not common in the UK at that time but were advertised in almost all of the American comic books. I was keen to have a go at this because I understood it fired ball bearings. My first shot bounced off the target and hit me between the eyes. I suppose I was fortunate it only fired individual balls and not the whole ball race.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb View Post
                    Going back 60 years or so, one of my friends had a Daisy repeating air rifle. These were not common in the UK at that time but were advertised in almost all of the American comic books. I was keen to have a go at this because I understood it fired ball bearings. My first shot bounced off the target and hit me between the eyes. I suppose I was fortunate it only fired individual balls and not the whole ball race.
                    I had a friend have a BB fired from an air pistol come back and hit him square in the forehead with about a 20 yard shot at a tree in his back yard when we were in our early teens. Wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't standing beside him.

I've always wore eye protection when shooting at steel since (i've got a self resetting 22 plinking target). Not really worried about a comebacker from a lead 22 round, as it deflects down anyway, but never know.

Comment

Working...
                    X