Metal Cutting Circular Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
    Another thing about metal cutting circular saws you should set the blade to maximum depth when cutting unlike wood cutting saws/blades. This makes the angle of attack of the grind of the carbide teeth most effective and also minimizes the time the teeth are in the material allowing them to cool better and last longer.
    Absolutely correct.

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
    I also have an Evolution hand circular saw. It runs at the same speed as an equivalent wood saw (and it also cuts wood). They say they use heavier duty gears, as cutting metal with a carbide tipped blade gives more shock loading to the gear teeth. It does have a "special" blade (that looks pretty normal to me), but it does cut through structural steel very nicely. No sparks, just hot chips.

I bought it to replace my Makita 7 1/4" wood saw. The Makita was nicer to operate, but the Evolution does the job. From what I can see, there's no reason you shouldn't buy an Evolution blade and use it on any other wood saw.

Ian
    Typically they use larger center holes than wood saws so you need a reducer bushing. 10 minute lathe job. I believe the evolution multi-cutter circ saw is rated at the same RPM of their blade which is 3750. The typical circular saw is 5500. Worm drives are closer, at like 4400ish. Evolution does have other blades rated to higher rpm in the same size. I think they purposely underrated their multicutter blade to discourage use on other saws.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
      "Temptation":........Milwaukee hand held 8" metal circular saw is on various sites for about $310.
      We just recently got one of these at work and it is pretty impressive. It cut through 1.5” steel with no problems. It also contains the majority of the chips in the blade guard.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
        ... Here is another device by dad and I, a table saw converted to run steel/aluminum. It works ok, pretty good cut quality, but the blade life has been atrocious. Very expensive cost per cut. Works great on aluminum with a standard wood blade though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqdpvaXUWo4
        I use a Milwaukee 8" Endurance blade in my table saw (slowed way down with 3 phase motor & VFD). But I don't have a way to secure the stock and I'm worried that a little slip is going to ruin the $40 blade. I like the clamping arrangement that you have on your table saw. Do you have pictures? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

I use a Milwaukee 8" Endurance blade in my table saw (slowed way down with 3 phase motor & VFD). But I don't have a way to secure the stock and I'm worried that a little slip is going to ruin the $40 blade. I like the clamping arrangement that you have on your table saw. Do you have pictures? Thanks
          I'll get you some Bob.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

We just recently got one of these at work and it is pretty impressive. It cut through 1.5” steel with no problems. It also contains the majority of the chips in the blade guard.
            do you have this blade? it sais 2.5 mm max.

edit: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Milwaukee-Me...e/233138967793
            Last edited by dian; 10-06-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Diablo ( maybe Freud in USA) offers a "cermet carbide" steel demon that can be used (acc to company literature) in an ordinary portable circular saw. Untried by me!

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

do you have this blade? it sais 2.5 mm max.

edit: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Milwaukee-Me...e/233138967793

I’m 99% sure this is the blade. It has been changed since those cuts and this is a replacement that we have on the shelf, I believe all the blades we had were the same.

I also took another look, it was 1 5/8” steel, 6 different cuts at 10-11” long each. That blade also did quite a bit of diamond plate before changing it out. It was still cutting just not as fast. We had got our money out of it anyways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71E6FA6A-AE2B-46A3-81F4-047112405E40.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1903475

Comment

Working...
                X