• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts what's it worth

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/793846988027862

This could be my first lathe.
    Wanted all of your opinions

Snarky comment removed. Never been close to one do cant offer any advice.
    Last edited by Captain K; 10-04-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

It's not mine....it's not even in the same town.

I really need some knowledge on this. Some say Atlas Craftsman is cheap other say a great starter lathe.

Comment

I am still a newbie to lathe machining, but for about $700 might be a good entry project if it is not worn to scrap. Wouldn't think a Atlas/Craftsman would see any production type work. Might ask why no tooling included. Don't even see a tool holder for the lantern tool post.

Others with similar Atlas lathes might provide much better insights.

Warning: I am a hopeless machine nut. The only thing, -besides money- keeping me from buying tools and machine stuff is I've completely run out of space in my tiny garage shop.
        S E Michigan

Comment

That's not much of a lathe in my book. Remember, whatever you get you will probably be stuck with for a long time. I would save up money and get a 12 x 36 something with quick change gears and more tooling and features. That one doesn't have much to offer as a lathe.
          Kansas City area

Comment

I'd pass on that one at that price. If it was all tooled up with a 4 jaw, change gears, etc it still might be on the high side of price, but IMO as a bare lathe in that shape it's a hard pass. You'd do better to keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
              I'd pass on that one at that price. If it was all tooled up with a 4 jaw, change gears, etc it still might be on the high side of price, but IMO as a bare lathe in that shape it's a hard pass. You'd do better to keep looking.
              +1

No QCGB, and no mention of change gears, so you've got to assume it doesn't have it. Lots of zamak on that lathe, prone to breakage. The 12" is an overgrown 10" which is still a much larger swing capability than ought to be machined on it anyway. The going rate for such a machine seems like $450 or lower.
              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Yep, definitely one to pass by. Not the best quality on the day it shipped from the factory, and probably not improved any since then.

Dan
                Salem, Oregon

Comment

Can't see the listing. If it's a 6" Atlas, pass/
                  Where is moltenmetal?
                  I've seen tooled up 9" SouthBends lathes in my area (NJ) for less.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                    Can't see the listing. If it's a 6" Atlas, pass/
                    Where is moltenmetal?
                    I've seen tooled up 9" SouthBends lathes in my area (NJ) for less.
                    Remove the "m." from the address-bar. 12" in Kansas city.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

If it had a quick change and maybe some more tooling it would be worth it, like it is no.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I'll be the contrarian - if it's not worn out and it works as is, that's not a terrible price. Lack of change gears is an issue (~$150 on eBay?) and lack of tooling doesn't help. All depends on the market in your area. I think that would make a perfectly fine starter lathe, pretty forgiving and plenty enough working space to do a bunch of stuff. If using a lathe is for you, then you can sell it and buy something bigger/ sturdier. If it's not, you won't be out a whole lot when you sell it on. I'd contact the owner and see if there are change gears available and if not make an offer taking that into account.

Comment

Around here, that $700 gets you a bare bones Southbend. It will get you quite a bit of lathe in unknown brands like Logan or Sheldon, but not SB, which is "known by the rubes to be top quality", or Atlas, another name that every rube knows.

Not sure what the OP has, for some reason I cannot get to that part of FB, even though I do have a page (which I generally ignore)..
                          1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Just found this one. Comes with multiple chucks and alot of tooling.
                            i think $1400 is way too high..... wondering what you guys think. Better than the last one at least a QCGB
                            https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...Anull%7D%22%7D

Comment

Depends where you live, meaning how often they show up.
                              around here that he gone by morning....heck the flippers would buy it.
                              fwwiw.. I paid 1300.00 for a short Southbend in the early 80,s, a most no tools. No gears or gearbox , but long and crossfeed., and I felt it was worth it..

Comment

Working...
                              X