No announcement yet.

Thoughts what's it worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That one is a better deal but for my thoughts I'd still pass.

Notice that it has flat bedways? As those wear and you compensate for them things start to bind other than the spots you use a lot and compensate for with adjustments. The bed in the first picture also appears to have a few ding marks. And if that's the case it doesn't bode well for how the rest of the machine was cared for.

And finally the price. It seems like overly much for what it is. Even if it does come with the various bits and pieces. Even in a high price zone like I live in for just a few hundred more I could find a machine that is at least twice as good overall.

They are a lathe, no doubt there. And they do turn metal. OK, I'm being a little sarcastic. But they are lightly made and compared to a similar size machine that weighs more they will be prone to things like chatter due to their lighter mass and greater tendency from that to flex minutely and set up the resonance that leads to chatter. A Logan or South Bend are twice the lathe as these IMO. And even a lot of the similar size Asian imports are better options.

Of course it all depends on what sort of things you want to make. Looking to do some smaller steam engine model's and similar? Then no problem. Looking to turn bigger lumps of metal? I'd strongly suggest keep looking. Interested in small projects that you can hold in the palm of your hand? Then this Atlas would be fine. Want to be able to hold and machine a brake disc, drum or something similar? I would expect a lot of oddly musical tones and less than ideal finish. And likely painfully light depths of cut.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d...197483941.html

Much cheaper per pound basis

Comment

I think it's a good starter lathe, better th a some import stuff.
        they have one feature usually that I think every hobby size lathe needs., index plate on spindle.. you can do splines and small gears if you are clever, on this machine..

Comment

I think that one for $1400 isn't bad if it has a 4 jaw and steady to go with it. It's a good all round starter lathe and probably enough to keep you happy for a long time if you're largely doing 2-3" max diameter work with occasional larger stuff. Looks like a reseller or estate seller, so if you go look make sure you have a good nosy around for any other tooling that goes with it and do some negotiating. Don't forget a decent 4 jaw is ~$100-150 and a replacement steady rest can be $200 and up.

Comment

South Bend 10L lathe - $450

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tl...211844621.html

Comment

holy crabapples, that is a deal!

Comment

Moltenmetal: Tell us something about yourself. How much experience have you had in metal working? What type of work are you interested in? Are you getting into this stuff as a hobby? Maybe you are needing machine tools for another branch of a hobby like auto modifying/repairing? How much room do you have ? And by the way, welcome to the forum.
                Sarge41

Comment

Sarge41: I have no machining experience. I love making things. I started a foundry, it was to make vintage car club plaques. It turned into a hobby, where I make most thing out of copper or bronze (which I make my own bronze).
                  I don't have much room now. A bench top is what I can fit now. I am buying a LMS 4190 with DRO soon.
                  Mills and lathes are hard to come by here. NE Kansas is not a hot bed.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I want to make parts and things. I'm a bit of......a....head first into hobby's. I have made plaques for colleagues. Having a mill would make the process a ton easier.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

My first lathe was a Craftsman branded Atlas 12" 101. The one in the pic below; this is how I found it. It was at a family run estate sale for $80. It was an OK lathe. Not nearly as bad as some say, but by no means a ridged piece. Small cuts only, .010 on steel, maybe .030 to .050 on Aluminum. Forget using a cut off tool, way to much chatter. I made a lot of things with it, and learned a whole lot. I outgrew the thing pretty much as fast as it took me to learn to use a lathe. If you are only ever going to do small things, it may be sufficient. I sold it with the stand, change gears, and milling attachment for $600 when I moved up to a bigger lathe. I would not of paid as much as I sold it for after using it a while. Even using something smaller like a South Bend 9" is night and day in quality and rigidity compared to these models of Atlas. I see them go for prices like that on eBay, and I don't get it. It was a bargain lathe in its day. I would wait, and drive a few hundred miles if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by moltenmetal View Post
                        Sarge41: I have no machining experience. I love making things. I started a foundry, it was to make vintage car club plaques. It turned into a hobby, where I make most thing out of copper or bronze (which I make my own bronze).
                        I don't have much room now. A bench top is what I can fit now. I am buying a LMS 4190 with DRO soon.
                        Mills and lathes are hard to come by here. NE Kansas is not a hot bed.
                        Please don't spend 1800$ to what amounts to a 500$ mini-mill with some upgrades!

Comment

Do your car club and vintage auto owning friends know your looking for a lathe? Network more, scour estate, tag, farm sales extensively before plunking your money down on CCC.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Please don't spend 1800$ to what amounts to a 500$ mini-mill with some upgrades!
                            What mill should I buy? I have looked everywhere. Used is hard to find here. It's going in my basement, so a knee mill is not going to happen.
                            im open to suggestions,but for the money I don't see other options.

Comment

there are some small knee mills (Select, Clausing, Grizzly etc) that can be dismantled into pieces small enough to lower down a ramp on a dolly. Can often be found for $1000-3000, depending on location, luck and tooling. Or there are the brand new smallish Precision Matthews bench mills for similar money, though you play the same Chinese machine tool roulette with those as you would the LMS mill.

Comment

All those taken off mill parts will go downhill... into the basement , just dont smash them up....
                                and hopefully you never move it again..

Comment

Working...
                                X