OT, favorite authors, now gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, favorite authors, now gone

I didn't want to hijack Brian's Trevitic thread, so here it is: Who is your favorite author, now departed?
    I'll start it off with mine. Peter Hathaway Capstick. His African hunting books are a favorite, because of his style, insight, and humor that I admire.
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Kurt Vonnegut, Richard Brautigan, P.G Wodehouse and Tom Sharpe come to mind, always enjoyed their work.

Comment

John Steinbeck, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Tom Clancy, Steven Hawking, Carl Sagan.
      Last edited by PStechPaul; 10-06-2020, 12:17 AM.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Iain Banks, Patrick O'Brian, CS Forrester, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Heinlein, H. Beam Piper. All could tell a ripping yarn whether the ship was powered by sail or fusion.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Bill Peet is dead. I read his book, "Smokey" all the time in Elementary school

Comment

Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove ...and numerous others) I loved that TV series, Lonesome Dove, then later discovered that was just the tip of the ice burg.

Oops, I didn't notice the "now gone" qualifier. Larry McMurtry is still with us.
              Last edited by lynnl; 10-06-2020, 10:48 AM.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Above all, Wilbur Smith then Nevil Shoot, then Assimov, Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke, Hammond Innes, and currently still with us John Sanford, Andy Weir, Diana Gabledon, Michael Connely.
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Neville Shute and Tom Clancy
                  Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Winston Groom, author of Forrest Gump, died just a week of so ago. He was my army ROTC brigade commander back in the early '60s.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Iain M. banks, and Robert Jordan. Staggering good imaginations

Comment

Ernest Hemingway, Ken Kesey, Robert Ludlum, Robert Heinlein, Rodney William Whitaker, AKA "Trevanian", author of "Shibumi".

Comment

Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Arthur Clarke and Isaac Asimov are the first two that I think of. I have shelves full of their work.

I would include Larry Niven for his Ringworld series, but he is still with us. Another who is still with us is Ken Follett. I don't think anyone can touch him for the ability to weave multiple threads in a historical novel. He also seems to do excellent research.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Heinlein. Rocket Ship Galileo was the first one I read in 6th grade I believe. I was not a good student but the librarian didn’t seem to have a problem with me coming in before class and getting a book, then returning it at the end of day and getting another to read after school. Every day of 7th & 8th grades!

Comment

Working...
                              X