No announcement yet.

I no longer like 3D printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had both mill and lathe CNC's for a number of years . Funny thing about CNC, you get so used to it and wonder how you could possibly do anything useful without it.

For the last week I've been un-burying my 11" Colchester lathe and Bridgeport m-head mill for the grandkids to use with my supervision. Neither of those machines have been used for at least 5 years. Way back in the day I did use them to make money in my business..

Comment

If you live long enough rapid additive machining of metals will become far less costly, possibly low enough for hobbyists to pursue.

Given current technology I can produce parts faster using a $75,000 CNC lathe then a similar manual lathe, I could also make them much faster using a $350,000 lathe.

As with all technology the costs will decrease rapidly over time, in 50 years one may have the ability to print Rc 65 hardness thread taps at home for little money, who knows?
      I certainly will not live that much longer (-:

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
        I've had both mill and lathe CNC's for a number of years . Funny thing about CNC, you get so used to it and wonder how you could possibly do anything useful without it.
        It's addicting isn't it. I put off a lot of projects I could do at home with my manual machines, but would take me much longer than I could do at work on a CNC mill/lathe. Unless I really NEED it right now, it's a much better use of my time to just stay late one night and bang something off in the cnc, than to chew stuff out manually at home spinning handles (something that I don't enjoy, unless it's lathe work). There's always something else at home that needs to be done. I'm at work right now doing one of those projects. A motor mount for a yarn winder for the wife. Was going to 3d print one, but it was going to take 6 hours, and I didn't really want a plastic one although it probably would have been fine, so I stayed tonight to finish it (it's been in the queue for a few weeks). 2 ops left of 5, and I probably have about an hour into it including design.

3d printing has it's place. I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon, but you have to play to it's strengths, while being mindful of it's weakness'. No one manufacturing process suits all products.

Comment

I'm also finding that fixing up machines for VFD control, or CNC is a fun hobby in itself.
          I still use the manual mill to size up stock and do 2nd OP stuff with the 2" endmill because it is quick. If I had a decent equivelent cutter on my CNX with the same metal removal capability, the manual mill would collect more dust.

Comment

I have a little mill drill in the corner that hasn't been used in months, but when for one reason or another everything else is busy (or shut down) it will save the day, and has. I'd like to have a bigger mill in the corner gathering dust for those occasions, but it is what it is.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
            X