QCTP for Logan 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QCTP for Logan 200

Would like advice on Tool Post for a Logan 200,will be using mostly Carbide Inserts.Is the one in pic suitable. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3311.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	1903764

The AXA wedge should work fine for you with tool shanks of up too 1/2 inch.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

CDCO sells tool holder for 10 - $12. , you need to replace the set screws because they are soft.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
        CDCO sells tool holder for 10 - $12. , ...
        By the time you add shipping ($16 for 2 plain holders), Amazon is cheaper.

Comment

Thanks Guys,will order one after Lathe is up and running.

Comment

AXA might be a lil small (Not tall enough) for you. The 200 Logan? Is it a 10" swing?

My old assed SB is a 10" swing also and the BXA just fits.

Best part? It takes 1/2" (my go to) shank and 5/8". JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The selection of the post is partly driven by how far the top of the compound is sitting below the spindle center axis. I know that on my 12x36 there's only 1 3/16" from axis to compound. And when I borrowed an AXA piston style clone from a buddy it mounted up with a 1/2 inch cutter sitting just a touch below the center of the body. A 3/8" tool shank put it a touch above. So even for my lathe the AXA is actually a pretty good option.

On the other hand I found a "deal" on a BXA piston style years ago. But the holder always sat well down so the piston was really only pushing on the top half of the dovetail. I chucked the body in the lathe and cut it down with some carbides to shorten it by about 5/16 inch and that made it fit a whole lot better.

But the moral here is that you want to not only look at the size of your lathe but also the height of the spindle center above the compound and pick the tool post that will result in having the holder near the center height of the post's main body. Not as big a deal with the wedge style I guess. But I suspect that extremes are still wisely avoided.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                AXA might be a lil small (Not tall enough) for you. The 200 Logan? Is it a 10" swing?

My old assed SB is a 10" swing also and the BXA just fits.

Best part? It takes 1/2" (my go to) shank and 5/8". JR
                I don't have a Logan, but I read yesterday that the 200 model has a tall compound height. That's why the AXA is the better fit.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

I don't have a Logan, but I read yesterday that the 200 model has a tall compound height. That's why the AXA is the better fit.

Dan
                  That fits with the Logan I had access to through work for a few years. The work one still used the lantern post and smaller size Armstrong holders. So I'm thinking not much axis to compound height and very likely the AXA would be the better fit too.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Dan
                    Yes, the clearance to the spindle center is about 0.875 on mine. Hardly enough for an AXA.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

That fits with the Logan I had access to through work for a few years. The work one still used the lantern post and smaller size Armstrong holders. So I'm thinking not much axis to compound height and very likely the AXA would be the better fit too.
                      My bust. JR

I didnt know the year of the machine. I dont read so well always...

Lantern? Ahh I actualy love the Lantern post for a few reasons. Quick adjustment of the nose of the bit is one. Try one out some day if you get to.

Standard equipment on a 24" lathe..

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Thanks again I will get measurements and see if AXA is suitable.

Comment

Just wanted to add that I did order a couple of Accusize holders for the free shipping from Amazon and they are nicer than the CDCO holders. Mostly just fit and finish but they are also longer. Not that that’s really an advantage in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by JCByrd24 View Post
                            Just wanted to add that I did order a couple of Accusize holders for the free shipping from Amazon and they are nicer than the CDCO holders. Mostly just fit and finish but they are also longer. Not that that’s really an advantage in some cases.
                            Thanks JCByrd ,checking the reviews on the Accusize 80% were real impressed with fit&finish of the AXA wedge QCTP.

Comment

Center line of spindle and 1/2 inch tools in an AXA tool holder on a Logan 200. I just got in from the garage inspecting the AXA tool holder on my 1949 Wards Logan 10.

Yes, if a 1/2 tool is installed, even with a tool holder sliding all the way down touching the compound, the tool tip will be a little above center line say about .100". I am not too worried about this as most of my tooling is 3/8". If grinding a 1/2 piece of HS tool one can grind down the tip a bit to compensate. One could also remove .125 from the bottom of a tool holder designated for 1/2 tooling. Part of the compound could also be removed for a more direct tool post mount. In all other aspects the AXA tool post is a great fit for my Wards Logan.
                              Last edited by DS_park; 10-17-2020, 03:16 PM. Reason: corrected tooling is 3/8 not 7/16

Comment

Working...
                              X