QCTP for Logan 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS_park View Post
    ........ In all other aspects the AXA tool post is a great fit for my Wards Logan.
    So what is the actual distance from spindle center to the top of the compound on yours? On mine it is under an inch, about 0.865 as I recall. Does not leave much room for the holder after the 1/2" tooling is installed, I'd think, but I have not ever obtained a wedge (or piston) toolpost for that and many other reasons, so I have no direct measurements to report..

One CAN hang the holder over the edge of the compound, and that really makes no difference to rigidity, since the holder will not be supported from anything other than the post no matter where it is located. It does move the "center of pressure" outside the compound periphery in that direction (it is already outside in the direction toward the spindle), which may have an effect depending on how sloppy the lathe itself is..

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Took a measurement with a .560 round stock bar in the three jaw. Measured from the top of the bar to the compound and subtracted .280 getting around .900" spindle center to compound top. 3/8 insert tooling holders or 3/8 HS tool blanks will go below spindle center if needed.
      Last edited by DS_park; 10-17-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Just brought the Logan home this morning will get measurement on it after unloading,Thanks

Comment

This Logan measured 0.930 to center of Chuck.

Comment

Seems consistently between 0.850" and say, 0.950".

That distance is a combination of original design, manufacturing differences, bed and crosslide wear, any re-surfacing that may have been done to the compound top, etc. So a fairly wide variation like 0.100" is reasonable.

I have seen others claim over an inch, which I find questionable.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

I've got an AXA holder on my Logan 922 (11 inch swing). It is sized well for it.

Comment

I disassembled compound to see how much meat was under T Slot only 0.271" I thought it might be possible to tap NF through it to anchor QCTP after decking top to get Tool height correct.Ive scrapped that idea and will shallow up 1/2" tools on Mill to make work. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3329.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1905623

Comment

Phase II AXA on my Logan 200 works perfectly. Do you want pics or are you set?

Comment

I'm quite happy with the Bostar AXA on my SB Heavy 10.
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weekend-S-B...Cclp%3A2334524
                    It's all mind over matter.
                    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                      Phase II AXA on my Logan 200 works perfectly. Do you want pics or are you set?
                      Pics would be great is it wedge or piston style Thanks!

Comment

Here ya go, it's a piston type. And be careful lowering the belt cover! That cracked off decades ago. By perching the post on the cross-slide so that the front and left edges are over the edges, you can lower the holder below the bottom edge if you need to. The plate in the cross-slide is custom made with an off center hole for this purpose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_13376.png Views:	9 Size:	740.7 KB ID:	1905824
                        Last edited by gellfex; 10-19-2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                          Here ya go, it's a piston type. And be careful lowering the belt cover! That cracked off decades ago. By perching the post on the cross-slide so that the front and left edges are over the edges, you can lower the holder below the bottom edge if you need to. The plate in the cross-slide is custom made with an off center hole for this purpose.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_13376.png Views:	9 Size:	740.7 KB ID:	1905824
                          Thanks for pic and insight ,QCTP will be the last step of the program that's a great idea of off setting hole.I am dealing with Bearing and broken gears on Bull Gear side of it,have to get the small back gear on Spindle thankful there were the 2 large ones New in pail of parts when got the Lathe.Those 2 larger ones are a $1000 US so nasty price in Cdn. Dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Thanks for pic and insight ,QCTP will be the last step of the program that's a great idea of off setting hole.I am dealing with Bearing and broken gears on Bull Gear side of it,have to get the small back gear on Spindle thankful there were the 2 large ones New in pail of parts when got the Lathe.Those 2 larger ones are a $1000 US so nasty price in Cdn. Dollars.
                            The braze and recut can be a good option when the part is unobtanium, or crazy expensive.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                            X