No announcement yet.

New Tool Gloat and mini initial use review- Coaxial indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take Doozers advice, when straightening parts on a press using a dial indicator.. usually dont try to get it in one go.. sneak up on it.
    it helped me so much in press work. It what I call intuitive, know what you next move should be.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      If I had a DRO on my mill then edge finding the sides of the hole would be very much a nice way to go. But I don't.
      In my opinion the money spent in the coax should have been put into a fund for a DRO.

Sure you can get by without one but the only people saying you don’t need one are the people who have never spent any time using a mill with one.

Comment

Guess I don’t know what a coaxial is? I always just use my last word to pick up bores.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
          So what range of hole size does a coax cover ?
          They come with different curved probes for larger dia. holes.

I looked at the one made by Blake years ago.

JL.................

Comment

So courtesy of Amazon Prime I found an Accusize brand unit for just $130 (Canadian bucks which at this point are only about 67cents US). And I could have it the next day (today).
            ​​​​​​​
            Nice write up, thanks! I have an SPI and the Accusize. I was very impressed with the tool quality and cost.

I always thought they were just wooden box stuffing. Good to see they are useful. Some folks dont like them at all, I dont understand that.. Thanks. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1904164

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

BCRider, thanks for the write up. It's always nice to hear someone has a new tool that they are pleased with and are happy they bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                Post script.....

You do know that you can use an edge finder to center a bore?
                Just do at least 2 go arounds.
                Touch x-x, split, then y-y, split, then x-x, split, then y-y, split.
                Done.
                Check it with a dial.
                You will be within a thousandth.

-D
                That sounds a lot like you're using a DRO... which I don't have. I thought about using the edge finder but given I'd have to figure out the backlash as well it all got to sound like too many numbers to note down and have to deal with in how this backlash did what and wherefore.

I did an initial run the other night at trying to roughly line things up with the sweep around above the bore using the DTI and Indicol clone. But after four tries to get it close was still running a wobbly orbit I decided that life is too short. I know it can be done because I've done it in the past. But it was always a process that seemed longer than it needed to be. Much of this is a lack of practice. I'm more than willing to admit that. I only sweep a bore maybe twice a year since this is a hobby and I've got other hobbies that fight for my time. And for those of you that are good at it because you do it often enough that's great. For the rest of us I guess there's coaxial indicators. And I'm OK with that realization that I'm one of those....

754, yes, my DTI has a positionable friction swivel tip and I use it a lot for lathe work and tramming the mill vise and other uses on the mill. That's not the issue. It's the combination of the Indicol and DTI and trying to get it roughly centered up. It's immune to my swearing at it....

With all the different arms that come with the Coax unit I wasn't sure what the maximum sweep would be. So I put the longest curved arm in the holder and swiveled it out as far as it goes. Testing it at this extreme a gentle push against a smooth metal surface moves the dial just fine. The reading on the hunk of old tape measure is just a whiff under 6". So up around 11.5" to maybe 11.75" ID? Won't quite reach an honest 12". But for sweeping an OD it would have to be loaded up and out instead of down and in. It would be able to do a 12 to 12.25" OD just fine. And the ball on the end of the short straight finger is 0.12. So it could technically sweep a 1/8 or even a 3mm hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030920.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1904180

It also came with a pointer finger which is spring loaded. And it too has no play that I can feel. Clearly it is intended to sweep a center punch mark. You can't sweep a center or prick punch mark with a DTI. So advantage coaxial in this case

Maybe having and using this coax is a bit of cheating? And if I did more sweeping of bores and kept in practice I wouldn't get as much from it as I think I'm going to? But for me it seems like it will prove to be fast and easy to use. And as someone that does not sweep ID's on a regular basis I like that.. a LOT.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

a check of accuracy/hysteresis would be interesting. i keep reading its about a thou. (i assume some high end ones have less, but just the flex of that long probe might make a difference.) well, thats about what i get by eye using a pin. obviously a disadvantage of a coax is that you cant clamp it to the quill.
                  Last edited by dian; 10-10-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                    hysteresis would be interesting.

obviously a disadvantage of a coax is that you cant clamp it to the quill.
                    Have not heard about hysteresis for awhile.

The Coaxial Dial Indicator is not a frickin jumble around tool.

They usually have very nice results.

IMO? No matter the maker these days. All seem good. JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

That sounds a lot like you're using a DRO... which I don't have. OT.
                      Guy Lautard calls that the Osborne maneuver; no idea how universal that is but that's what I've always called it. There is ZERO need for a dro for it ( or anything else) to work well, did it for 20 years before getting a DRO. For about everything, dials will do just fine, the DRO is just a nice convenience. Life's better with a bit of luxury, but don't let the absence of a DRO stop from basic stuff like the Osborne maneuver.

The Blake coaxs are nice. I probably use mine for most centering jobs. Like anything in the shop, pick the right tool for the job, from the array at hand. its quick and very accurate (if you can't get the needle stabilized to better than a full graduation on the dial, there's something wrong). I'd suggest unless its on a Swiss jig borer, none of us have mills with quills where it'll matter much....and if you have one, or need more accuracy, put your best tenths indicator on a bar....but you'll be splitting sub 1/2 thous over what the Blake can do.
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-10-2020, 06:37 AM.
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

It's like comparing cars, each one good for its own use. The same can be said about devices for finding the alignment of the spindle and the hole in the part on the machine table. Each of them is good, but in a particular one of them will be more convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Guy Lautard calls that the Osborne maneuver; no idea how universal that is but that's what I've always called it. There is ZERO need for a dro for it ( or anything else) to work well, did it for 20 years before getting a DRO. For about everything, dials will do just fine, the DRO is just a nice convenience. Life's better with a bit of luxury, but don't let the absence of a DRO stop from basic stuff like the Osborne maneuver.
                          Osborne as in the Tales from Oil Country series ? ? ?

If you have not read them, and you are a machinist,
                          you would totally love them. There is even an account
                          where Osborne goes to Buffalo NY for the 1091 Pan Am
                          exhibition. One of the buildings they did not tear down
                          after the fair was the Hall of the Future, which was marble
                          slabs and columns. Now it is the Albright-Knox art gallery.
                          I often think Osborne and I have walked the same steps
                          when I had visited the art gallery.

I also love the story where he was smuggling steam engine
                          parts on the passenger train car, and trying to stuff them
                          under the seats, timing his activities in between when the
                          conductor would make the rounds. Then after the train
                          journey, the horse drawn sleigh broke through the river
                          ice and the ordeal to get the sled and horses back in the
                          right again.

Fascinating stuff.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Osborne as in the Tales from Oil Country series ? ? ?
                            not sure where GL got it from, could be that, but I don't recall
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

The problem with the Coax is that it chews up an awful lot of headroom. You can fit a DTI like an Interapid or an edge finder in a lot less vertical space.

Comment

I have a 2" indexable carbide endmill from Accusize, I like it a lot, use it for facing.
                                As far as centering a hole, if the part fits on the CNC, I just use the probe with the bore center probing routine.

Comment

Working...
                                X