No announcement yet.

[OT] Relics from your childhood that influenced you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My second car was a 1965 Chevelle Malibu which I purchased for $675 in February 1970. In August of that year four friends and I drove from Baltimore cross-country in four days to Berkeley, CA, and then up the coast to Seattle (in one day), then to Holden Village on Lake Chelan for a 5 day conference on ecology. There were forest fires along the shores of the lake, and we could hear the flames crackle and feel the heat from the ferry. Two of my friends flew back, and the remaining two girls and I drove back through Idaho, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and back to I70 and home. One of the things I found recently was a maintenance log for that car, which I kept up meticulously until 1973. Gas was anywhere from 25 cents to 50 cents per gallon, and I typically got 13-18 MPG. That summer in Yellow Springs, OH. I bought a 1960 Ford Econoline window van for $40, and soon sold the Chevy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-25-2019_003.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	1904386

Name:	1-25-2019_006.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	1904384

Name:	1-25-2019_009.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	1904382

Name:	1-25-2019_014.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	1904385
    Attached Files
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Erector set, best toy I ever had, hours of enjoyment. And a subscription to Popular Mechanics.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

The smell of 3in one oil, Still smells the same. My grandma had a can I oiled everything.

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
          The smell of 3in one oil, Still smells the same. My grandma had a can I oiled everything.
          Your right, it does still smell the same. I just used some the other day. I have always wondered what they put in it to give it that distinct smell ?? Done deliberately for trademark reasons ?? No other oils have that smell.

If I remember correctly Marvel Mystery oil has a very distinct smell too. Aside from looking like tranny fluid !

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Indeed, a very fine machine in its day, I believe that they did not weigh more then about 225 Lb's in 73, very light and nimble.
            The bike before this one was a DT 125 Yamaha enduro that was over 300 Lb's, it was a night and day difference
            I too had a bike that was amazingly light, a 66 Ducati 250 Mach 1... about 255 lbs .. which was great even compared to the Elsinore.because it was 250 cc, 4 stroke , and had lights and a battery, and big brakes.. as it would hit 100 mph.. .... al, that 8 years prior to the Elsinore.
            I was at the Honda shop the day the first Elsinore , got uncrated and fired up, and rode around the back lot..
            great memories..
            BTW.. the Elsinore was a full on motocross ready to race bike, probably all the same. They also made MT enduro versions, ligjting, the 125 may have had steel rims and tank , not as sweet as the Elsinore...
            Last edited by 754; 10-11-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post

The car is a 1964 Chevelle 300 or a GM variant of that.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...t-chevelle-300

lg
              no neat sig line
              Our family car was a Chevelle 300 wagon, same color...64 I think.. we got it in 67..

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post

I was thinking arcadian, (sp?) Probably called a Pontiac in Canada. Saw the odd looking chevys, and a couple Mercury Trucks when I worked at a service station on I-5 in the early 70's.
                ACADIAN actually .. which is where Cajun comes from..... my brother had a 67 Beaumont, looked like a Chevelle body.. but it's a Pontiac..

Comment

Two things, Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, and all of my Legos. Also helped that my dad had a full wood shop, and seeing "Live Steam" magazines at an early stage.

Comment

flight sim- that's what got me interested enough in computers to actually buy one.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      This was inspirational................

JL.................

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20181018-153752.jpg Views:	117 Size:	332.3 KB ID:	1904366
                      What a coincidence, that's the same table saw my Dad has! Now maybe I can finally narrow down which model number it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post

What a coincidence, that's the same table saw my Dad has! Now maybe I can finally narrow down which model number it is.
                        When I get a chance later tonight I'll look it up and tell you.

JL....

Comment

Gonna agree. Thats a Rambler back there.

Comment

I had the best uncle. Him being 5 years older than me, he would give me his old toys as he outgrew them. I had a cap pistol from him that was a broom handle Mauser machine pistol. Had a key wind clockwork that would fire off a roll of caps fast! Even a broken toy from him was a treasure.

Comment

I was always fascinated by trains. My father set up a "Christmas Garden" every year with O-gauge trains and my German grandfather put one together with largely home-made houses and moving displays like a merry-g-round driven by pulleys and belts and powered by a water wheel in a basement sink. My other grandfather had me dress up in an engineer's suit and took me into the cab of a diesel-electric on the Baltimore-DC route, and I was allowed to blow the horn. Here I am on my very own little engine (probably actually around 1953 when I would have been four years old):

Name:	paul-tra.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1904599
                              A couple years later my uncle gave me a Fleischmann HO train set he had bought in Germany. I still have this train set.

Name:	paulho56.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1904598
                              Some of my most memorable Christmas presents were a printing press and a chemistry set:

Name:	printr59.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1904601

Name:	xmas57.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1904602
                              I made a robot costume for Halloween. I think it had batteries and switches that flashed some lights.

Name:	robot60.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1904600
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post

The car is a 1964 Chevelle 300 or a GM variant of that.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...t-chevelle-300

lg
                                no neat sig line
                                Larry: I know several people believe it is a GM product, but look at a Mercury Frontenac. They were a Canadian Mercury made one year.
                                Sarge41

Comment

Working...
                                X