ER32 Collet Holder/Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER32 Collet Holder/Chuck

I just purchased an MTA2 ER32 collet holder/chuck. As well, I purchased a set of ER32 collets. I will tell you that this is my first experience using this type of equipment. I was testing the runout using a .500 pin gauge and I noticed a couple of things:

1. The collet nut doesn't screw onto the collet holder as far as I thought it was going to. My thoughts were that the collet nut does not screw on far enough to secure the collet in the holder.
    2. The collet face is not flush with the collet nut.

Is this normal?

No this is not normal, you are supposed to snap the collet in the nut before screwing it on, that should correct all your issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvTh0FE_cwo

https://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/er_collet_system.asp
    Last edited by slamadeleine; 10-12-2020, 01:30 PM. Reason: Added link to better instructions

Comment

did you snap the collet into the nut?
      it is like spring loaded to snap in/out

Comment

Buzzz… Buzzz… Buzzz...

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

slamadeleine & Ringo...thank you for taking time out to reply. That was it, I needed to snap the collet into the collet nut. I knew I could count on members here to help. Now I just need to find a good 42mm wrench. Thanks again and have a great day.
          Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 10-12-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

If you did it up tight, then you may have damaged the collet. And it's meant to be done up tight. Real tight. Tighter than you think

Comment

Originally posted by lovemesomemachines View Post
              Now I just need to find a good 42mm wrench
              I made mine out of 1/2" 6061 bar stock. By making the handle long enough to hit the column I can use it to brace when using the other wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                I made mine out of 1/2" 6061 bar stock. By making the handle long enough to hit the column I can use it to brace when using the other wrench.
                I'm putting that idea away for my own use. Great idea.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

42 mm wrench? get a new um nut and wrench (sloted), much more handy. er32 torque is around 100 ftlbs.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                    If you did it up tight, then you may have damaged the collet. And it's meant to be done up tight. Real tight. Tighter than you think
                    I love doing it up tight.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                      42 mm wrench? get a new um nut and wrench (sloted), much more handy. er32 torque is around 100 ftlbs.
                      This wrench is for the body not the nut, for those of us without spindle locks.

Comment

no wrench and no spindle lock for er32/40. you need a fixture. i would like to see how you produce 130 ftlbs with two wrenches. thats why there are so many reports of tooling coming out and weldon holders being better.

Comment

Torque required is affected by how much you are compressing the collet.
                          If your tool shank is on-size with the collet, you don't have to tighten it to the max,
                          just good and snug. I never had one slip using judicious application of torque.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            Torque required is affected by how much you are compressing the collet. If your tool shank is on-size with the collet, you don't have to tighten it to the max, just good and snug. I never had one slip using judicious application of torque.
                            I don't think the collet being on-size makes much difference. It's very easy to compress the 1mm range of an ER32 collet. After that, it doesn't matter what the starting difference was because the collet is in contact with the tool.

I've never had one slip either, but I use a torque wrench. I actually don't tighten to the ER32 mark on the wrench because it seems unnecessary to go that tight in most cases. I generally stop a bit above the ER25 mark unless there is a good reason to go tighter (and even that is very tight). I also go considerably looser for smaller cutters. Torque can also have an impact on runout. Too much can deform the collet.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

I don't think the collet being on-size makes much difference. It's very easy to compress the 1mm range of an ER32 collet....
                              Mine are quite stiff.
                              You make me wonder if the set that I have are not slit enough.
                              Hmmmm…..

--Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X