So I tried out rust bluing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Doozer -- you do realize that I live less than a mile from Love Canal? Your post gave me a smile
    Ha,, that stinker. I was living in Jersey when that started making the News. Tragedy!

About ten miles from my house currently we have our own lil Superfund thats being dealt with, actually two, in opposite directions (one happens to be Nuclear in nature) JR

Love Canal for those not in the know...

https://archive.epa.gov/epa/aboutepa...l-tragedy.html
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Stuff is all over the place.... We have the old Carter Carburetor plant, we have nuclear waste bunkers all around St Louis, and while I was at Washington U, it turns out that there was an un-treated, open contaminated nuclear site in the dormitory grounds.... It has since been cleaned up, but it was just there in a little wooded area that people often went to study (or do a bit of necking).

Apparently, during the Manhattan project, waste product from various experimental studies was just poured down a hole there.

I very much doubt there is any place on earth you can go where there is no trace of hazardous/harmful pollution. There are surely some very nasty places, like that lake in Mongolia where all the waste from chinese production goes.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        I very much doubt there is any place on earth you can go where there is no trace of hazardous/harmful pollution. There are surely some very nasty places, like that lake in Mongolia where all the waste from chinese production goes.
        This site is in Concord, Mass, of all places, about a mile from my home:

http://coldwar-ma.com/Nuclear_Metals.html

Comment

Stuff is all over the place.... We have the old Carter Carburetor plant, we have nuclear waste bunkers all around St Louis, and while I was at Washington U, it turns out that there was an un-treated, open contaminated nuclear site in the dormitory grounds.... It has since been cleaned up, but it was just there in a little wooded area that people often went to study (or do a bit of necking).

Apparently, during the Manhattan project, waste product from various experimental studies was just poured down a hole there.

Pretty scary stuff right there. It's no wonder some areas have high rates of cancer.

I would think even back then hazardous wast like that was disposed of with more caution as opposed to dumping it in a hole in the ground.

JL..........

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            I would think even back then hazardous wast like that was disposed of with more caution as opposed to dumping it in a hole in the ground.
            JL..........
            Caution? Right! Nope. You would think the folks playing with Nuc stuffs would be careful due to the advanced education they have? NOPE.

JPL is responsible for our lil nuc mess over here. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              Pretty scary stuff right there. It's no wonder some areas have high rates of cancer.

JL..........
              Nope. Just like Watergate.... "follow the money". Those who profited handsomely from the pollution in my area, haven't had to live with the consequences. For example, the old Union Carbide plant on Highland Ave. was another brownfield site: After it was finally knocked down, the local taxpayers ended up paying to have all the topsoil removed to a depth of 8 feet, and replaced. I wonder who the largest shareholders were, on the board between 1910 and 1970?

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                For example, the old Union Carbide plant on Highland Ave. was another brownfield site: ?
                Hahaa. Ol fukers at UC havent stopped screwing things up. Recently here in the Los Angeles area they are still leaking their crap everywhere. JR

https://dtsc.ca.gov/wp-content/uploa...de_CEQA_IS.pdf

Comment

So, I changed gears a bit.

I made up some salt solution, since I had no peroxide, and it is unavailable due to "Covid hoarders". I have been dipping the part into the salt solution, and hanging it up to dry off and rust while it is drying.

Today I boiled it for a goodly while, had to add water a couple times. It's starting to come to a blackish condition after all. Still a couple spots that have not changed over, but much better than before. It seems that the salt water may rust it in a way that is better for the blackening.

The part dry. It may not look like much, but if you look at the areas between the rusty spots, it is definitely darkened, clearly not "steel colored".

When wet, the darkening is even more pronounced between the rusty areas, so I expect that after a few more rust and boil cycles, it may be decent looking when oiled. The brushing is not doing a lot, but we are not done yet.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Aaaaaannnnd we have success.

After some brushing

After more brushing and oiling, then wiping.

EDIT: Can't get down in those screw holes to brush.... the camera really picks up rust well. Some oil in there will probably make it much less visible. I'll run an old tap through.

As the surface gets more blackened, the rust adheres less well but some of the black comes off). Most brushes off, as does some of the black. I probably could have rusted it again, and repeated the brushing etc, but frankly I was in no mood to do it, and the thing is plenty black as it is.

Flash

Natural light
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-21-2020, 06:42 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Just to close this out......

In case anyone was wondering just what the part was, it is the body of a turret lathe box tool that I made some time ago for the Logan. I made several other tools as well, but those I blackened by either torch and oil or just hardening in oil for the parts that were to be hard.

Here it is, complete with the hardened pin on which the cutter pivots, the v-shaped back rest, and the very optimistic hole for the swarf to fall out of the tool through. Some does, a lot does not..

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Just to close this out......

In case anyone was wondering just what the part was, it is the body of a turret lathe box tool that I made some time ago for the Logan.
                        Yeah, I figurged it was for the Logan. I have some geometric die heads that your tool reminds me of.

Big difference between the two. Yours is very useful. And looks to be configurable.

The protestant process you did looks great. Metal?!?! Always wants to be very clean before what ever process we do to it. TIG welding is where I got it.

Great job and thanks for the Write up. JR

Comment

Working...
                        X