Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an oxy-propane torch. Do I really need a plasma cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

Bull pucky. You can do it better with plasma. Both counts. You either have a crummy plasma cutter or you just haven't got it yet. Dial down a plasma cutter and you can peel a race or nut down to literally nothing without damaging the inside part. And do it much faster. If you're punching a bolt out of a hole, you can do that much more precisely too and with no 'back popping' of the torch.
    Huh ? I honestly assumed you could not do it with a plasma.
    I need to expand my horizons and try it.
    Thanks !

---Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Hypertherm even make special gouging tips too that direct the air out the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I thought Jerry was a little pie-in-the-sky on that one too.
        Maybe you heard my eyes rolling from where you are.

-Doozer
        Comes from thinking like an insurance person. They hate tanks also, don't let on you got 'em.

How many keep a flammables cabinet, with enough pan depth to hold all the liquid that could spill? That's another of those OSHA and Insurance requirements that nobody much pays attention to.

Stuff like that is OK until someone discovers, after the loss, that that this or that requirement was not adhered to. "Sorry, not a covered loss due to violation of the terms".

Plasma cutters have no such issues. If the unit is UL, there isn't anything to complain about. And they do not leak gas.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

""I have an oxy-propane torch. Do I really need a plasma cutter?" "

The one or the other threads are nice at first.

17 years later? Same stuff. Heck, Mickey has been here for awhile. Should know this stuff.

Have both. Dont pick. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

the thread was about oxy-PROPANE. how well does that cut?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
              I am moving towards Oxy Propane instead of Oxy Acetylene, safer and cheaper, don't plan on gas welding. I am told that oxy propane cuts as clean as oxy acetylene if you got the right tips and know how to use it, requires a different technique than acetylene. But I mainly want it for thicker stuff and also for heating parts.
              Oxy propane is the way to go for cutting: 10 times cheaper fuel, easy refills, less explosion hazard.
              Acetylene prices are crazy high here in Finland and for example with Woikoski it takes 1 month to fill your acetylene bottle.

Comment

yes, but does it cut as well?

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Comes from thinking like an insurance person. They hate tanks also, don't let on you got 'em.

How many keep a flammables cabinet, with enough pan depth to hold all the liquid that could spill? That's another of those OSHA and Insurance requirements that nobody much pays attention to.

Stuff like that is OK until someone discovers, after the loss, that that this or that requirement was not adhered to. "Sorry, not a covered loss due to violation of the terms".

Plasma cutters have no such issues. If the unit is UL, there isn't anything to complain about. And they do not leak gas.
                  Why do anything?
                  Why have anything?
                  Let's all stay in bed all day so we can be safe.
                  Ship it all to China, they have acetylene tanks there.
                  Let them do the work.

-Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                    yes, but does it cut as well?
                    Oxygen does the cutting.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

From experience, acetylene cuts much cleaner on very thick material.

After the cut starts, you can close the gas and it will carry on cutting. It will be a bit messy but it will cut.
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Why do anything?
                        Why have anything?
                        Let's all stay in bed all day so we can be safe.
                        Ship it all to China, they have acetylene tanks there.
                        Let them do the work.

-Doozer
                        Go right ahead.

I don't expect to do any of that, but you are welcome to.

OSHA storage rules FOR INDUSTRIAL USERS. Many home shops would have trouble complying with such rules (but are not covered by OSHA). Most are pretty sensible rules.

Note in particular the "well ventilated area" mentioned..

The idea is to avoid gas buildup, since your shop is not a class and division suitable for flammable liquids/gases, and will have ignition sources..

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

What you "need" is entirely dependent on what you "do". As noted materials that do not contain sufficient carbon can not easily be cut with Oxy/Gas equipment.
                          Home shop cost plasma cutting equipment has a very limited range of how thick of a cut it will produce, Oxy Acetylene cutting can easily cut 5" thick steel at home given careful control.

This is a 5 1/4 inch diameter blank, cut from 4" thick steel plate using a CNC Oxy/Gas torch, this was done by a reputable nation wide metal processing vendor whom shall remain unnamed.
                          This is simply sloppy work when piercing but was likely the first article, only this one out of 15 parts would not clean. They did send several replacements the next day which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                            What you "need" is entirely dependent on what you "do". As noted materials that do not contain sufficient carbon can not easily be cut with Oxy/Gas equipment.
                            Home shop cost plasma cutting equipment has a very limited range of how thick of a cut it will produce, Oxy Acetylene cutting can easily cut 5" thick steel at home given careful control.

This is a 5 1/4 inch diameter blank, cut from 4" thick steel plate using a CNC Oxy/Gas torch, this was done by a reputable nation wide metal processing vendor whom shall remain unnamed.
                            This is simply sloppy work when piercing but was likely the first article, only this one out of 15 parts would not clean. They did send several replacements the next day which was nice.
                            Two words. Water jet.
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Three words, just an employee.
                              I do not make that decision (-:

Of course WEDM would be even better.

Comment

What caused me to invest in a plasma cutter in a one man shop, was a greatly reduced heat accumulation to the metal i was cutting and the reduced expense in welding/ cutting gasses. When your closest supplier is 60 miles away, this is quite a significant savings.

Comment

Working...
                                X