OT influenza innoculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
    Don't forget your TETANUS shot every 5 years, since we all work with rusty, sharp metal.
    Nothing to do with rusty metal. Any type of deep wound. The booster is given every ten years.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351625

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      Note that I could have shown a sealed container and claimed the thing was in there.... but I did not......so I am not "BS-ing".
      I assumed it was an electronic vacuum tube with metallic grids JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Some people are just not much affected by ty;pical 'flu varieties.
        Doesn't that bring us back to sample size? A sample of one cannot be representative of the general population. A larger sample is more likely to be.

[QUOTE=J Tiers;n1905328]The piece of steel? Of course it is not true.... it was an example, a sort of "thought experiment", not a fact./QUOTE]

I know, that's why I put the emoji in. I was pointing out that you were throwing stones from your glass house as your response contained an error.

Note that I could have shown a sealed container and claimed the thing was in there.... but I did not......so I am not "BS-ing".
        It crossed my mind, that you might either (a) actually have a piece of metal in a vacuum for some obscure reason; or (b) that you would take such a photo to prove your point. Not to lie to the group, but rather for a bit of mischief. I had a response prepared just in case you did

My response to John was tongue in cheek, as I suspect his post was. My BS call was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

Doesn't that bring us back to sample size? A sample of one cannot be representative of the general population. A larger sample is more likely to be.

In the population there are people who are not affected much by 'flu. Quite a number of them, surely up in the tens to hundreds of thousands. I rarely get sick, for instance, even though family members do.

So the "sample group" is probably large enough. Mr Hobdeclipe may simply be a member of that subgroup, which takes him out of the "sample of one" category, and into the "possible member of group XXXX" category.

The entire "sample of one" issue depends on whether one tries to use such a sample to argue a point that is "outside of the data".... One might say "Person A has never had a 'flu shot, and has never had the 'flu, therefore 'flu shots are worthless". That is problematic, and clearly is a "sample of one" argument, at least. It is also "outside of the data", because you have no data on the past exposure of "person A" to the 'flu.

However, with the same data, one might say "Person A may be a member of the group of 'flu -resistant individuals", and with that there is no "sample of one" issue, nor is there any problem of arguing outside the data.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

The entire "sample of one" issue depends on whether one tries to use such a sample to argue a point that is "outside of the data".... One might say "Person A has never had a 'flu shot, and has never had the 'flu, therefore 'flu shots are worthless". That is problematic, and clearly is a "sample of one" argument, at least.
            Got it. So you and I interpreted john hobdeclipe's post differently. IMO, that is what he was implying. Maybe not that the flu shot is worthless, but unnecessary.

Comment

I got my first flu shot ever last fall and jokingly said to the wife when I came out "guess I finally won't have to worry about getting sick this year"....... Debating whether to get one this year......

Comment

Since they are free to over 65's in the UK, I always go for them.

Comment

Working...
                X