Extending a tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending a tube

I have a mountain bike fork that has a steering tube that is short by 20mm. So I plan to lathe up a stepped tube, which I will shrink fit and Loctite into the existing tube. The OD is approx 1.13in and ID is approx 0.96in. The existing material is Aluminum, probably 6061. I plan on using the same.

For a tight shrink fit with this diameter, how much oversize should make my extension tube?

thanks!
    Last edited by JW1942; 10-14-2020, 11:40 PM.

Duuno, possibly a thou and a half per inch?

I did something similar with a new fork on my Lambert that had a shorter tube than the original bimetal fork. I hate it and need to change it. The extension is just too flexible, and I do not feel it is secure, so I hate riding it.
    1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

I'm just sitting here on a Wednesday night
      extending my tube.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Doozer you crack me up.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Better pin it as well, don't be surprised if it is 7075 material..
          how thick is it ? Matbe you could thread it internally ? And step, and thread the extension.
          Last edited by 754; 10-15-2020, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Machine up a complete new one? Then you don't have joints to worry about.

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

If it was my project, I would make it .001" loose and trust the loctite to do the job.

If you want to press it then .0015" would be my choice and lubricated with loctite on the way in.
              "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

What are the effects of a joint failure? I have visions of a fork falling off when wheelieing over an obstacle. I like my teeth and my face so I am not a fan of this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich View Post
                  What are the effects of a joint failure? I have visions of a fork falling off when wheelieing over an obstacle. I like my teeth and my face so I am not a fan of this scenario.
                  Possibly in his case... "too short" suggests it does not reach to the top bearing, so his extension actually has direct structural function in holding the fork in place. In mine, a failure would leave me holding a handlebar that is not connected to the wheel anymore... I do not see a good outcome in either case, so a different approach, such as a better fitting fork is a good plan.

The other problem in his scenario is that the handlebar support fits down into the fork tube and is typically held there by a split cotter setup. The support is sized to fit the ID of the tube, but in his case, it will all have to be in the extension portion, since the fork tube ID will have the adapter filling it. Does not leave a lot of grip for the handlebar support, unless the adapter is long.

A better fitting fork looks even better at that point
                  1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

If you had at least 2" of overlap, then 601 Loctite and a 0.001" loose fit would take several tons to pull it out. As long as the wall thickness is at least 3/16 and the aluminium is one of the strong alloys, I can't see any problems, even if the extension includes the top bearing.

Comment

that's an 1 1/8" steerer tube and by the description it doesn't sound like it's a threaded steerer tube. It'd have to be a pretty old bike to have one of those anyway (25yrs+?). Sounds like the steerer is not quite long enough for the stem to clamp securely onto it, in which case the joint will be inside the stem clamp. Not much to worry about there structurally. 0.001" over on the insert, put it in the freezer and heat the steerer with a hair dryer for a bit and it'll go in nicely. Wouldn't hurt to pin it though, just in case.

Going to be a bit of a fiddly job as it'll need to be a stepped insert - step down on the OD to press/ shrink fit into the steerer and step down on the ID at the other end for the star nut to go in. Not difficult, but concentricity at both ends with the major OD and the step at each end will be important.

Comment

Originally posted by JW1942 View Post
                        I have a mountain bike fork that has a steering tube that is short by 20mm...
                        Sell/trade it and get one the right length or long enough to shorten.
                        12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                        Index "Super 55" mill
                        18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                        7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                        24" State disc sander

Comment

yeah, a new set of uppers for a decent set of mountain bike forks (no idea what the OP has) are only about $200, bargain.

Comment

Some folks likevto modify their stuff, does not always make complete sense, but some of us here will try to help you bring your idea to a good ending..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              ...some of us here will try to help you bring your idea to a good ending..
                              Not by using Loctite. I'd like to see him do this safely.
                              12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                              Index "Super 55" mill
                              18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                              7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                              24" State disc sander

Comment

Working...
                              X