OT: A Big Thumbs Up to Duracell Corp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: A Big Thumbs Up to Duracell Corp.

I have had a Canon PowerShot SX20IS digital camera for years. I didn't use it all that much except when I wanted to take long range photos, it had a good zoom range. So in June of this year I got it out to take on a little outing up river and get some wild life photos. When I went to put in new batteries, (4 AA alkaline) two of the Duracells was all corroded and swelled up to the point I couldn't get them out. They had only been in the camera for 3 or 4 months.
    I got on line to Duracell and their web page noted that they would stand behind their products to the point of replacing any item that Duracell batteries damaged. I filled out the form and sent it in. In about a week I received a letter stating if I would fill out the inclosed form and send in my Canon camera via inclosed prepaid postage, they would inspect the camera and either repair or replace the camera.
    Yesterday I got a letter back stating they would be sending me a check. Today I got a check for $400. I think that was about what I paid for the camera about 10 years ago. The sad part is, a camera of equal quality now cost $600.
    I have been shopping online and i think the one I want is the Canon PowerShot SX70 HS. Have any of you had any dealings with this camera, good or bad?

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

They have replaced several maglite flashlights for me that were ruined by their leaky AA alkaline batteries that weren't in there very long, less than a year.
    I've had the same thing happen to both of my digital thermostats.

I don't understand why these companies don't allow a little bit more clearance for batteries in their devices.

JL.......

Comment

It would also help greatly if the battery compartment would be essentially sealed, and the contacts gold plated. Might add 50 cents - maybe an issue for a flashlight, but not for a high end camera or multimeter or similar device. Usually when I find a battery that has corroded and leaked it is because I have left it in the device for years and sometimes the switch has been inadvertently left on. So hardly the manufacturer's fault. And about half the time I've been able to clean up the damage and get it working, but usually the plating on the contacts has corroded and just scraping down to bare metal (usually steel) is only a poor short term solution. I have a plating kit, but it's hard to access the terminals.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

The crazy thing about the batteries in my camera was that two of them was still ok and the other two was Very corroded and swelled so much that I couldn't get them out. And all four of the batteries was out of the same package with the same date stamp on them. Duracell must not have been able to get them out either or they would have repaired the camera. But I was wanting a newer camera any way.

Oregon Coast

Comment

Surprised to hear that the "warranty" actually works, I thought that they would just put you trough lots of red tape.
          Less surprised to hear that the leaked batteries were Duracell.

400 usd from Canon PowerShot SX20IS is a heck of a deal for you. Camera is worth maybe 100usd nowadays.

How much you need the long zoom feature like in SX70?
          "superzooms" suck in low light situations and something like Panasonic DC-LX100 II would be better by miles if you don't need the long-reach zoom.
          Or Panasonic FZ1000 II if you are after long zoom

Comment

recently i came accross my walkman. the batteries were immaculate. must have been in there for 20 years or so.

Comment

I've had many duracell leak in unopened packages well before expiry date and a few things destroyed by battery leakage. Don't buy them anymore they are rubbish. They have a bad reputation in Australia. They were once very good but not now.
              Nev.

Comment

Over the years I have had a lot of things that used AA batteries and always bought them in the large packs from Costco (Kirkland), but I started to have problems with leakage or corrosion. So I switched to Duracell. I'm wondering if its just something with AA batteries. But Duracell saved the day for me, Thanks ‚̧Duracell.

Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                  Over the years I have had a lot of things that used AA batteries and always bought them in the large packs from Costco (Kirkland), but I started to have problems with leakage or corrosion. So I switched to Duracell. I'm wondering if its just something with AA batteries. But Duracell saved the day for me, Thanks ‚̧Duracell.
                  I'd rate Duracell as one of the worst leakers. Worst of any brand name batteries definitely in my experience and I'd rather trust my luck for example with IKEA batteries than Duracell.
                  (at work I have replaced few thousand AA alkalines over the years)

Energizer has been pretty good and if I want to be extra sure there is only 2 things I'd really trust: Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop Nimh rechargeables and Energizer Ultimate Lithium (1.7v so works as a replacement for ordinary alkaline)

Comment

Good for them and for you for telling the tale. Its hard to remember all the unsavory moves companies make on the consumer; I like seeing one with a first class approach getting credit for it
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

I'd rate Duracell as one of the worst leakers. Worst of any brand name batteries definitely in my experience and I'd rather trust my luck for example with IKEA batteries than Duracell.
                      (at work I have replaced few thousand AA alkalines over the years)

Energizer has been pretty good and if I want to be extra sure there is only 2 things I'd really trust: Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop Nimh rechargeables and Energizer Ultimate Lithium (1.7v so works as a replacement for ordinary alkaline)
                      I couldn't agree more.

Since throwing away all my copper top Duracells and replacing them with Energizers (the pink bunny), I haven't had a leaker. Duracell needs a good warranty if it's going to continue making leaky batteries.

I've used Eneloops in my Canon SX10 (very similar to the SX70) for years and never had a problem. Same for my wife's smaller Canon.
                      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                        They have a bad reputation in Australia. They were once very good but not now.
                        Have you tried the Varta batteries that Bunnings sells? I only buy them and Eneloop these days. Haven't had one leak yet.

I've had bad luck with Duracell as well. I stopped buying them more than 15 years ago. When Dave Jones started his long-term battery leakage test, there were many negative comments about Duracell. I'm glad to hear that they paid to replace your camera, but I would rather buy a brand that is less likely to leak.

Comment

20+ years ago I had a digital piano damaged by some Duracell batteries replaced by them with no questions asked as well.
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I agree with the above statements about leaking Duracells. Whenever I have had something with leaking batteries it is most often Duracells or one of the cheap batteries. I always try to get Energizers when I can and have had very little trouble with them. Another thing I started doing if I have something that is battery powered and I will not be used for quite a while I take the batteries out. They can't leak if there not in there.
                            Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Duracell ruined too many devices of mine. I use Eveready Ultimate Lithiums and found they last the longest of any battery I have ever used. Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X