No announcement yet.

OT: A Big Thumbs Up to Duracell Corp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get me wrong, I was not praising Duracell's batteries, I was praising them for standing up and paying for the damage their batteries caused. Worst of all batteries are those damn AAA's. All our remote controllers use them and I finally bought some rechargeable batteries for them. Never had a rechargeable leak, they just won't hold a charge very long.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

Hmmm I may have to re-think my battery strategy. Like the OP i used to buy the Kirkland batteries and had problems with them leaking and ruining stuff. I switched to the Duracels but have still had a ton of stuff ruined by their leaking. I guess that Duracell is lucky because I have never taken advantage of their warranty. Mostly flashlights, but also some multi-meters have been ruined. My first solution for seldom used items was to remove the batteries and store them and the appliance in a zip lock bag to keep them together. The problem with this approach was that when the bastards leaked, the **** still made a mess all over the exterior of the appliance. Now I place the batteries separately in a sealed bag and use a zip tie to keep them together. A pain in the ass, I know. I guess I will try to find out who sells Everyready batteries at Costco prices.
      Fred Townroe

Comment

I dumped all my alkalines for NIMH rechargeables. I've been using Eneloop Pro batteries for a couple years now. They work great and recharging is much better than having to buy new batteries all the time. Plus when a battery dies I am never "out" of batteries, I just go grab however many I need from the "charged" box. I used to forget to buy spare alkaline AA's - then I would be hunting around for something else to steal batteries from. And I have never had a NIMH rechargeable leak or damage a device.

I have had a couple D-cell Mag-Lites get their batteries permanently welded in by battery leaks. That happened with both Duracell and Energizer. Never bothered to call and try to get them warrantied. Probably would have cost more in shipping than a new flashlight. I remember leaving batteries in devices for years or maybe even close to a decade when I was younger with no issues. Nowadays you can't do that. There has either been a change in battery construction or maybe they are suffering poor quality control due to manufacturing moving to China.

Comment

Duracell batteries have leaked in almost every battery device I own. What was once a good brand name battery is now one of the worst. Most items I have are still working, but have sustained some damage to the terminals and such.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
            Never had a rechargeable leak, they just won't hold a charge very long.
            Get Eneloops. They hold a charge for years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

Comment

Recently I bought 100 pieces of "Amazon Basics" AAA cells for about $22, and they seem to be OK, but no idea if they will leak after a few years.

I've also had fairly good luck with PKCell brand. And some cheap Chinese "GodP" NiMH cells I put in a rechargeable flashlight have been doing well and seem to hold charge for months. They are supposed to be 3000 mAh but I tested them to only about 750.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3000mAh_GodP_NiMH_Discharge_Test.png
Views:	144
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1905231
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                And some cheap Chinese "GodP" NiMH cells I put in a rechargeable flashlight have been doing well and seem to hold charge for months. They are supposed to be 3000 mAh but I tested them to only about 750.
                Eneloop will hold charge for more than 10 years. Some people have found 10 years old Eneloop battery packages and tested them. Still about 60% charge left and after recharge they are back to 100% original capacity.

I have one set of 1. generation HR-3UTG Eneloops that I bought from Asia 14 years ago and they still work fine!

Similar LSD (low self dischage) cells from GP and Varta have pooped themselves in couple of years.

Comment

Does eneloop make a AA alkaline battery??
                  All all I see are rechargeables.

I'm about done with these leaky duracell's too.

JL..........

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    Does eneloop make a AA alkaline battery??
                    All all I see are rechargeables.

I'm about done with these leaky duracell's too.

JL..........
                    No, all Eneloops (by Panasonic) are Ni-MH rechargeables.

For what it's worth, I have no complaints about the AA's and AAA's I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                      No, all Eneloops (by Panasonic) are Ni-MH rechargeables.

For what it's worth, I have no complaints about the AA's and AAA's I have.
                      OK, thanks. I thought Panasonic made alkaline batteries. I remember getting them with new TV remotes and other devices. Those batteries always lasted a long time and never leaked.

JL..............

Comment

OK, thanks. I thought Panasonic made alkaline batteries. I remember getting them with new TV remotes and other devices. Those batteries always lasted a long time and never leaked.

JL..............
                        Panasonic makes also alkalines but have some other name than Eneloop

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Panasonic makes also alkalines but have some other name than Eneloop
                          OK, I'm not looking for rechargeable batteries.
                          All these different brand names that are made by the same mfg. is what makes it confusing. You don't know if there is a difference in quality between the names.

Do they all roll down the same assy line and get a different wrapper at the end??

JL................

Comment

OK, I'm not looking for rechargeable batteries.
                            All these different brand names that are made by the same mfg. is what makes it confusing. You don't know if there is a difference in quality between the names.

Do they all roll down the same assy line and get a different wrapper at the end??

JL................

Panasonic alkalines are not that common in here so I have limited sample size but I have never seen leaked one. Anecdotal evidence on internet tells also that they appear to be better than average.

Dave from EEVBLOG attempted battery leakage test but the test failed: despite his best efforts none of the batteries leaked in 10 month storage after complete discharge. Seems like there is more than one or two factors that cause them to leak. Installing the batteries to expensive equipment appears to be most reliable way to make them leak..

Comment

It was said somewhere that "high-current" or "high-power" alkaline batteries appear more leak-prone than "normal".
                              My experience points somewhat also to this direction, "max-turbo-super" batteries appear to leak more often.

Comment

I have gotten the leaking, welded in place alkaline batteries out of friends and family members flashlights by standing them reflector down in a plastic bowl and filling them from the other end with CLR, Calcium, Lime, Rust remover. A day's soak, smack the open end down hard on a block of soft pine, and the batteries usually pop right out.

I've never had a battery get welded in like that because of a trick my Dad showed me back in the 50's.
                                I take a length of wax paper, roll it into a tube, slip it into the flashlight, then slide the batteries inside the wax paper tube. If they leak, the wax paper prevents the corrosion from getting to the metal flashlight tube body.
                                Steve
                                NRA Life Member

Comment

Working...
                                X