OT: A Big Thumbs Up to Duracell Corp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RetiredFAE View Post
    I have gotten the leaking, welded in place alkaline batteries out of friends and family members flashlights by standing them reflector down in a plastic bowl and filling them from the other end with CLR, Calcium, Lime, Rust remover. A day's soak, smack the open end down hard on a block of soft pine, and the batteries usually pop right out.

I've never had a battery get welded in like that because of a trick my Dad showed me back in the 50's.
    I take a length of wax paper, roll it into a tube, slip it into the flashlight, then slide the batteries inside the wax paper tube. If they leak, the wax paper prevents the corrosion from getting to the metal flashlight tube body.
    I've always found that the batteries actually swell. I remove them in some mini mag flashlights by taking the light socket out of the one end of the flashlight and driving a batteries out with a wooden dowel, but it can damage the inside wall of the flashlight at pits the aluminum pretty bad.

​​​​​ The wax paper is a great idea but I don't think there's enough room, I'll have to give it a try.

JL....

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      It was said somewhere that "high-current" or "high-power" alkaline batteries appear more leak-prone than "normal".
      My experience points somewhat also to this direction, "max-turbo-super" batteries appear to leak more often.
      That's what I suspect as well. Seals take up space, and that may reduce capacity a little. Duracell and Energizer compete on capacity, not leak-proofness.

Comment

Every time I called Duracell about a leaky battery that ruined something, along with wanting to know the day codes or what ever off the battery, where I bought them, how long has the battery been in the devise etc. They always asked how I store the batteries and what type of climate is the devise used in.

I guess their batteries don't like big temperature swings.

I always store the batteries at room temperature and in their original packaging. They always says that's good, some people store them in the refrigerator or freezer.
        I said no I never do that.

JL.............

Comment

I have been storing some batteries in the refrigerator. It is a dry environment, which should reduce corrosion, and the cold should inhibit chemical processes that cause self-discharge and deterioration. I have some 9V batteries that have date code 05-2015 and still measure 9.4 volts, although I would expect that they won't last as long as fresh batteries. They were shipped to me automatically, four in a package along with several TENS pads, every month for a year or more, and I rarely used them. They were apparently covered by insurance. Their construction is interesting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9V_Battery_5272.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1905836

Name:	9V_Battery_5273.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1905835

Name:	9V_Battery_5274.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1905834
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Have not noticed which brands leak the most (they nearly all leak).

BUT..... Batteries used to be better.

Here is one that you KNOW has to be just about ancient, as this style battery has not been made since just after Moses was floating in a basket. This one not only has not leaked, but it still measures 1.48 volts. The cardboard seal/insulator is still fine.

I found it somewhere a few years ago, and kept it as a curiosity.

EDIT: I said "a few", but thinking on it, that few must be at least 20 years that it has sat on a shelf here. I'm thinking that if it was gonna leak, it would have already.

Last edited by J Tiers; 10-19-2020, 06:46 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Have not noticed which brands leak the most (they nearly all leak).

BUT..... Batteries used to be better.

Here is one that you KNOW has to be just about ancient, as this style battery has not been made since just after Moses was floating in a basket. This one not only has not leaked, but it still measures 1.48 volts. The cardboard seal/insulator is still fine.

I found it somewhere a few years ago, and kept it as a curiosity.

EDIT: I said "a few", but thinking on it, that few must be at least 20 years that it has sat on a shelf here. I'm thinking that if it was gonna leak, it would have already.

I remember those batteries very well as a kid. They runed a lot of toys. I wasn't happy, but just about every battery back then leaked after time, especially after storage.

Here is one that's even older. Found a few of these buried under a neighbors porch when they remodeled. I took the best one. They were used in the old telephone boxes...... the ones that were made of wood and you had to crank it. About 1910 I believe. Columbia later became the Eveready battery co.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image014.jpg Views:	2 Size:	359.4 KB ID:	1905888

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image006.jpg Views:	2 Size:	474.6 KB ID:	1905889

This stuff has been buried under that porch probably since the turn of the century. The old shoe gives a good indication of the era.

I don't know what the bar thing is with the triangles on it. I'm guessing part of some kind of grinder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image009.jpg Views:	2 Size:	339.5 KB ID:	1905890

JL..............
              Last edited by JoeLee; 10-19-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Yabbut.... that old battery you found, has it leaked, and does it still have voltage? The Ray-O-Vac has no leak and still has normal voltage.

We never had much if any leak trouble with the old batteries like the Ray-O-Vac. There was another brand that was a big leaker.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

That battery is from the '50s, saw lots of them as a kid. As I recall, Ray-O-Vac was the only battery with a steel case. The others had cardboard outer covers over the zinc shell.

-js
                  There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

" don't know what the bar thing is with the triangles on it. I'm guessing part of some kind of grinder."
                    If I had to guess, it would be a grate shaker from a wood or coal burning cook stove. You turned it to help drop the ash down into the ash box from the burner box.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                    Oregon Coast

Comment

I too buy batteries from Costco, but the odds they're made by Duracell are pretty high. Costco pressures big mfrs to make their house label stuff at a price point lower than than they would normally sell. I've also had maglites and cameras destroyed by alkalines. Recently discovered my infrequently used H-F laser tach was full of leakers, but managed to salvage it.

Comment

I found out that if you have problems, it pays to jump through their hoops and get a answer or in my case a refund for their poor product. They do seem to back up their products.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

Name:	?action=dlattach;attach=961122;image.png
Views:	45
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	1906026

Comment

When Proctor and Gamble sold Duracell the batteries went downhill fast.
                            The new owner wanted the brand recognition and got it. The batteries are now made in China and are just a re branded cheapie.
                            I'm sure they've profited big from the name and will run it into the ground and dump it.

I'm actually having the best luck with the yellow AA's and AAA's from Harbor freight.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                              Panasonic alkalines are not that common in here so I have limited sample size but I have never seen leaked one. Anecdotal evidence on internet tells also that they appear to be better than average.
                              What did I just say?
                              I went trough the junk battery box and had plenty of leaked Panasonic AA's
                              "power alkaline", pretty old ones, not even date codes on them (Made in Belgium)
                              and "standard power alkaline" BB 2017 (Made in Belgium)

Also remembered that I have used probably 750pcs of Panasonic Industrial from Digikey (made in thailand) without problems

Comment

Working...
                              X