Christmas came early to me today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas came early to me today!

I recently had a couple of articles published in Live Steam and Home Shop Machinist.
    With the proceeds of one of those articles, I bought this item.
    I had talked about adding this feature to my lathe a couple of months back in a thread posted here.

It looks neat Sid, but what is it and what does it do?---Brian
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Looks like a Hardinge lathe with a 5C chuck or spindle, have ran a few such lathes but have never seen that attachment in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
        It looks neat Sid, but what is it and what does it do?---Brian
        It's an accessory that Hardinge had for their lathes that allowed you to easily mount cutting tools from the back side, or what ever else you might come up with.
        Follower rest? Cut off tool?
        I recently got a lever operated taper tool (Hardinge) off of Ebay that will mount right on this.

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
          Looks like a Hardinge lathe with a 5C chuck or spindle, have ran a few such lathes but have never seen that attachment in the past.
          5C spindle.

I never saw one either, until I started looking into a way to mount a rear tool. Then someone pointed it out to me here.
          Sure enough, they made one. Its in their HLVH manual.

Sid

Comment

Very handy, my Herbert Capstan had a rear mount, built in... and..AND a 2 Speed cross slide..
            and a Chiprupter..

Comment

We have a small Hardinge turret lathe at the shop where I currently work with a 5C spindle. This machine has no cross slide or carriage.
              However there are attachments that part off small lengths and diameters, external thread and external groove, this is one of the few manual machines that I enjoy operating, very well made machines.

Comment

When you have a few of them machines in a shop, some are used more as 2nd operations lathes. .. cheaper to buy.
                they probabl can be fitted with cross slide is my guess, but may have been ordered without.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                  We have a small Hardinge turret lathe at the shop where I currently work with a 5C spindle. This machine has no cross slide or carriage.
                  However there are attachments that part off small lengths and diameters, external thread and external groove, this is one of the few manual machines that I enjoy operating, very well made machines.
                  I forget what model that one is.
                  i wouldn’t mind having one of those too.
                  Hardinge makes top notch equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

With the turret I believe it would be a DSM-59. DV-59 would have been the model with a tailstock and cross slide. Doesn't really matter in the end, same bed, headstock, and drive and all the components are interchangeable. Lots of them for sale in most areas for a decent price, and lots of accessories to set them up in any way imaginable are available on Ebay.

Comment

That’s true. A lot of stuff is interchangeable. And yes, there is a lot of stuff available on eBay.
                      I think first I am going to make a follow rest for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

One of the attributes of high end lathes is that they are very quiet when the spindle is running and not actually doing any work, one may easily leave the small Hardinge spindle on and not notice for hours until all of the other machines are turned off.

This machine is a large, ugly, difficult, smelly, heavy, powerful 1950's era Warner & Swasey #5 turret lathe, it is surprisingly quiet when running however.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait.... You get paid for magazine articles?

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                            Wait, wait, wait.... You get paid for magazine articles?

Doc.
                            Big picture, Live Steam and Home Shop Machinist likely does not make anyone a livable income, a very small demographic with very little appeal to the general public.

A dedicated papparitzi photographer may sell a single candid photo of Lady GAGA picking her nose for far more profit then the owner of this website will ever see.

Comment

Looks like a Feeler upper accessory.

-Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X