Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who complain that Alibre "has no CAM solution"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For those who complain that Alibre "has no CAM solution"

    https://www.alibre.com/workshop/
    1601

    Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

  • #2
    Why would anyone carešŸ¤£

    Comment


    • #3
      Sounds like the CAM part needs an STL workpiece - wouldn't STEP format be a better choice?
      Mike Henry near Chicago

      Comment


      • #4
        To play devil's advocate, who's to say that "life" isn't limited? I paid for a pro license of a Logbook program. It only supports 32bit OS's. The company created a new program that works with 64 bit OS's... Well, I upgraded my Macbook pro to the new OS. Can't access my electronic logbooks anymore. Refuse to pay for that bullcrap. At least with Autodesk, I know what I'm in for.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          To play devil's advocate, who's to say that "life" isn't limited? I paid for a pro license of a Logbook program. It only supports 32bit OS's. The company created a new program that works with 64 bit OS's... Well, I upgraded my Macbook pro to the new OS. Can't access my electronic logbooks anymore. Refuse to pay for that bullcrap. At least with Autodesk, I know what I'm in for.
          Can't you use a virtual machine?
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Noitoen View Post

            Can't you use a virtual machine?
            Running older version of OSX? Suppose I could.

            Comment


            • #7
              You can use any CAM you already have with Alibre.

              The complaint I have seen is that there is nothing "provided with" Alibre for CAM. This clearly answers that issue, if anyone insists on it.

              Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              To play devil's advocate, who's to say that "life" isn't limited? I paid for a pro license of a Logbook program. It only supports 32bit OS's. The company created a new program that works with 64 bit OS's... Well, I upgraded my Macbook pro to the new OS. Can't access my electronic logbooks anymore. Refuse to pay for that bullcrap. At least with Autodesk, I know what I'm in for.
              That's not their fault, the program you bought will still work on any OS it is designed to use. You are at fault because you expect it to magically work on a newer OS.

              I don't think you have anything to complain about, actually.

              Originally posted by elf View Post
              Why would anyone carešŸ¤£
              Someone piss in your cornflakes?
              Last edited by J Tiers; 10-17-2020, 08:41 PM.
              1601

              Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                You can use any CAM you already have with Alibre.
                You stated that once before. Exactly how is that supposed to work? I am guessing you propose exporting the file from Alibre in step, iges or similar than import that file into your other cad/cam package and proceed to apply toolpaths. If that is the plan, then why even bother with Alibre? Just do the whole job in the package that has integral CAM.

                OR.... are you thinking of a generic CAM only software that works with common file formats? Can you give some examples?

                Using a total CAD.CAM package is a lot cleaner way of doing things, especially if you find the need to make any changes to the model to make machining easier while working in CAM.

                Of course, as you pointed out in the first post of this thread, Alibre had Cad functions. They do appear pretty basic though, no 4 or 5 axis and the features they spotlight are pretty basic stuff Still, it is a CAM package so that puts it ahead of the CAD's with no CAM capabilities at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why would you want a CAM program that claims it doesn't have a lot of features?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

                    You stated that once before. Exactly how is that supposed to work? I am guessing you propose exporting the file from Alibre in step, iges or similar than import that file into your other cad/cam package and proceed to apply toolpaths. If that is the plan, then why even bother with Alibre? Just do the whole job in the package that has integral CAM.

                    OR.... are you thinking of a generic CAM only software that works with common file formats? Can you give some examples?

                    Using a total CAD.CAM package is a lot cleaner way of doing things, especially if you find the need to make any changes to the model to make machining easier while working in CAM.

                    Of course, as you pointed out in the first post of this thread, Alibre had Cad functions. They do appear pretty basic though, no 4 or 5 axis and the features they spotlight are pretty basic stuff Still, it is a CAM package so that puts it ahead of the CAD's with no CAM capabilities at all.
                    I think you meant that Alibre had CAM features. I assume they were basic, but then, how many folks who would consider Alibre also have 4 or 5 axis CNC?

                    It apparently is not "integrated", so you would of course export.

                    How does it work? The same way all of the CAD output I sent to vendors for a decade or so did. They imported and used the STEP or IGES, generating their toolpaths etc from that as input. It seemed to work perfectly well, and they asked for the format they preferred. It was always one of those two.

                    Originally posted by elf View Post
                    Why would you want a CAM program that claims it doesn't have a lot of features?
                    Because the folks who demand the CAM be supplied are not sophisticated users such as yourself. They are simple hobby users and they want a simple solution that does not cost the earth and does what they want simply and easily. They want the package, because they do not want to have to become systems integrators, they want things known to work together, supplied together, and supported.

                    Remember, the packaged version is the simple CAM paired with the simple CAD version... Atom 3D, not the 10x more expensive Alibre Expert. Nobody is supposing that this package is going to be making wing spar attachment bulkheads, or parts for ICBM guidance packages.
                    1601

                    Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

                      I think you meant that Alibre had CAM features. I assume they were basic, but then, how many folks who would consider Alibre also have 4 or 5 axis CNC?

                      .
                      That is actually a common misconception. A great many home hobby cnc guys have a 4th axis. The most common being the standard old rotary table with a stepper motor mounted to it. 5 axis is far less common in hobby circles but there are things like the "pocketnc" which is a hobby class 5 axis tabletop machine. Like many things in the tech world, things that used to be exclusive to industrial users have now found their way into the home shops, CAD/CAM included come to think of it !

                      Things like this are within the hobby category
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Router-...kAAOSwIB9fg-w8
                      Last edited by Sparky_NY; 10-17-2020, 09:50 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, I'll accept that. I was , as you might suppose, thinking of a bit more exotic versions of 4+ axis.

                        But, the option has always existed to use a different CAM package and take in an available file format such as IGES. So it is not so much a limitation, as an addition now, for the folks who want basic functions on simple machinery, at a low price.

                        At $399 for the combo, it seems as if it hits a market that may not even be visible to the more sophisticated CAD/CAM users. And, although the site does not really mention it, the CAM is available to users of any of the Alibre packages, not just as the package. But, one assumes that most of those others probably want more CAM capability, since they already have more CAD.
                        1601

                        Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          OK, I'll accept that. I was , as you might suppose, thinking of a bit more exotic versions of 4+ axis.

                          But, the option has always existed to use a different CAM package and take in an available file format such as IGES. So it is not so much a limitation, as an addition now, for the folks who want basic functions on simple machinery, at a low price.

                          At $399 for the combo, it seems as if it hits a market that may not even be visible to the more sophisticated CAD/CAM users. And, although the site does not really mention it, the CAM is available to users of any of the Alibre packages, not just as the package. But, one assumes that most of those others probably want more CAM capability, since they already have more CAD.
                          Have you personally used the CAM packaged with Alibre?
                          Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            At least with Autodesk, I know what I'm in for.
                            More changes to the license terms

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X