Help Finding Milling Machine Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding Milling Machine Videos

Our local Makers Space has a Grizzly Milling Machine (Bridgeport J-Head Clone) and I have been offering courses on it operation and use. This course has been be considered the persons "check-off" for use of the machine. Because of COVID, the face-to-face instructional classes have been cancelled. I'd like to offer a set of Youtube videos which prospective students could watch to get the necessary instructions on how to safely operate and use the milling machine. This would eliminate the personal contact but the information could be obtained. At the end of the video instructions, I'm proposing that a simple drawing be give to the student and have them machine the part to the specification on the drawing. I would meet with the student at the machine shop and oversee their work on the machine. This would be considered to be a "check-off" for their use of the machine by themselves. This method has been approved by the Board of the Makers Space.

I would welcome any guidance or wisdom which can be offered on a set of Youtube videos which could be used as an instructional class and provide the need information. Thanks.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Don't worry about making a mistake.
    If you spin the end mill in reverse, it puts the metal back on..

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Check this link out:
      https://www.youtube.com/c/mrpete222

Everything your students need to know, and then some. If they start now they might get through all 700 videos before they keel over.
      Last edited by Commander_Chaos; 10-21-2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I've watched a lot of videos of milling machines being used but not so much about HOW to use the mill. And more specifically to perform safe setups in the vise that won't be ripped out and sent flying across the shop. Safe use of the milling vise and clamping gear and learning about stuff like conventional vs climb milling and about speeds and feeds for cutter sizes and determining if a metal can be cut with a HSS vs carbide and a number of other things would be needed. I think you're looking at a playlist to cover it all.

A quick search on YT on "how to use a milling machine" did turn up a bunch of videos. But you'll have to do the same and watch them as I'm sure each will focus on different aspects. Similarly I think you'll need to find separate videos for things like how to safely use a milling vise and how to correctly use the clamping kit.

I'm pretty sure that your original course started out with a list of points to be covered. Likely from what the parts of the mill are and how to mount and tram a vise and on down to such things as zeroing edges and holes and how to run a boring head. You'll likely need to go back to that list and then go looking for videos to select for the playlist that covers each item. Some videos might cover more than one check list item... bonus when that happens. If you didn't really formally write down a list of that sort now might be a good time to do so. It'll be a handy guide as you preview a big list of videos to see which is best for each point.

If you're after a single video? I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna happen. It'll end up being a bit of this and some of that from a host of video makers.

The one hint you'll want to go with is to find the ones that make their points in the least amount of time. The playlist to cover the wide range of topics will already span a couple of hours pretty easily. No point in picking those which are long winded and simply put your student to sleep. And there's many of those. Some of them have some of the best machinists I've seen. But they simply like to hear themselves talk a LOT.

I'd suggest tossing in a few of This Old Tony's videos where it pertains to a topic. Nothing like a bit of comedy relief to wake up the student. Otherwise it's pretty dry material. And I've always found Mr Pete's videos to be well paced and contain lots of "meat" and not all that much "salad". So looking over his offerings would also be something I'd second.

I think I'd also start out the student with a bare mill with no vise. And they have to make a small gizmo during your overwatch time. It can be something they want if it's simple enough. Otherwise give them something to make which would be handy for them later on. Or a T nut. I'm sure you can always use more T nuts in the MS. But it'll show you quickly if they watched the videos by how they set up the mill, mount and tram the vise and how they set up the stock in the vise and how they approach their cuts for climb vs conventional milling and how they choose the end mill and RPM.

I know you wanted a list of videos to look at but I'd have to watch all the videos in the lists that come up to suggest what you should watch. But if you do a search for each of your points you want to cover you'll get the same list.
        Last edited by BCRider; 10-21-2020, 05:06 PM.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          Don't worry about making a mistake.
          If you spin the end mill in reverse, it puts the metal back on..

--Doozer
          Wrong, if you run a directional end mill in the opposite direction it will not add material to the part, this is however a very handy method of removing material from the end mill, far faster then grinding.

Comment

Whole bunch of how-to milling videos starting at #68 on this play list. By former teacher in technical college.
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mDcpIQtR_x0xxZ

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
              Whole bunch of how-to milling videos starting at #68 on this play list. By former teacher in technical college.
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mDcpIQtR_x0xxZ
              I like his videos even if he puts me to sleep. But again, Abom also can put me to sleep.

Comment

Bill, Mr. Pete mentioned above on Youtube also has instructional videos he sells. I bought his BP series and it's pretty thorough. I have a feeling that you are looking for free material, but you may want to discuss with him.
                Steve

Comment

There is a series of videos up on Youtube from MIT (Masachusettes Institute of Technology) on using shop machinery. As well as years worth of examples from ABOM79, Mrpete222, JoeP, and others.

Comment

My direct link to the MIT videos no longer works. However they are now on YouTube at MIT Machine Shop Videos
                    Last edited by Lowe.Buuck; 10-23-2020, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the hints and links. I'll look at them to see which would be appropriate for our situation.
                      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

i think this is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asmH4HjZLRY

Comment

Working...
                        X