Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
    A note for rusted rims.
    Yes a tube fixes all. But to restore the pitted surface to hold air, just sand blast all the rust out and coat it with bondo. Sand and repeat. Paint it and bake the paint out at 200 F. It'll hold air for years.

BTDT.
    I wire brushed it with a 4 1/2" angle grinder then sandblasted and painted it. If I had been thinking I'd have put it in my electrolysis bucket and derusted it that way. The bead was still in good shape so the pitting won't be a problem now that the tire is on.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Dish soap.--Doozer

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

Waste of time. He's trying to get it off, not on.
      Work at a lawn mower repair shop,
      change over 100 small tires.
      Then come talk to me about soap.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

You should post a pic of the rim. I have had a Minibike that would now be 70 + years old..
        I still have a lot of another one, and have found wheels in the last 15 years or so.. 2 of them were on a hand cart (dolley)I bought..
        I sold a carb a few months back , for a 1912 or 1913 motorcycle.. found that in the last 20 years.. and more rare stuff ...

Comment

Dragging up an old thread here to see if I can post pics. The pics are of one of the most crude tools that I have ever made but it finally worked. I also found out what was rolling around inside of the tire. About a half cup or more of rust.

This tool didn't work initially because it was too thick to fit between the tire and rim but I milled it thinner and with me leaning into the tire while using the arbor press to press it down it finally came off. I bought new tires for it and am doing the front tire too.

THINK HARDER

Comment

Looks like still no joy trying to post pics here. First time I emailed pics from my phone to my computer and opened them in the email and saved them as html files. That didn't work so I tried changing the file extension to jpg and that didn't work either. Sometimes these computers really try my patience.

THINK HARDER

Comment

The only way I can get photos from my phone to the puter is by usb cable between devices.
              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Send the pics to another member , I can't resize if that is needed. Maybe someone will volunteer ?

Comment

What kind of phone? Mine is an I phone 7 plus and it saves photos with an HEIF extension which does not work with this/most forums. Apps are available that will automatically save your photos in JPEG format eg: https://www.guidingtech.com/switch-f...to-jpg-iphone/
                  Last edited by Dave C; 11-17-2020, 12:47 PM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                    What kind of phone? Mine is an I phone 7 plus and it saves photos with an HEIF extension which does not work with this/most forums. Apps are available that will automatically save your photos in JPEG format eg: https://www.guidingtech.com/switch-f...to-jpg-iphone/
                    I've got a Samsung Galaxy S10 Android. I'm not an IT guy for sure.

THINK HARDER

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                      The only way I can get photos from my phone to the puter is by usb cable between devices.
                      That's probably what I will do. It's probably time to back up my phone pics again anyway. Thanks for the tip.

THINK HARDER

Comment

That will work if your phone saves photos in JPG. If not jpg, you will still need an app to convert.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

One more try. I hooked up a cable from my phone to my laptop and moved 5,986 photos and videos to my laptop. Now to see if I can post a couple of pics of the mini bike tire in question.

Thank You to everyone who responded to my post.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

THINK HARDER

Comment

Gotta love it when a plan comes together and works. From the looks of that last pic, I'm surprised that the tire was ok.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

If the leak is slow, and you haven't ruined the tire trying to get it off, and would like to keep it "original".... try treating the tire with "Tireject". Its available on line. I used in on 1996 dry rotted garden tractor tires I thought all needed replacing since they were off bead, dry rot cracked in the side walls, and had pesky puncture leaks in the treads. The TireJect kit for my tractor was about $50 bucks but was worth a shot on an otherwise clapped out old garden tractor and probably $400 for new tires.

On top of prior attempts using "Slime", and "Fix a Flat", I treated the flat, unbeaded tires in June 2019 per the instructions,.... aired them up, drove around for 20 minutes, and guess what. All 4 sealed and stopped leaking. They are still within a couple pounds of the PSI I left in them in June 2019. I'm sold on this stuff, it just works.

https://www.tireject.com/
                              S E Michigan

Comment

He spun the tire until is was slick and bald.
                                Not dry rotted.

-D
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X