Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Even if that means buying NO tires? Seems extreme.

If you have only 1 choice (ie no choices) of tire, you're definitely doing something wrong.
    This is the reason I changed from 20" to 22.5" rims.
    Only 20" truck tires you can get are China.
    22.5" are carried in any brand you want.
    So I ponied up and bought new rims.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

The big difference of course between the 20" and 22" tires and wheels compared to the 22.5" and 24.5" ones is that the new sizes were put into place during the 80's in order to differentiate between radial tubeless and the old tube type, two piece rims.This is probably the main reason that 20 and 22 inch truck tires are simply not available here anymore, old tech no longer used.
      The wheel industry had to reinvent the wheel so to speak so that the newer radial tires could not be mount to an incompatible rim. Glad to see the old style tube type bias tires gone. I used to be in a tire shop at least once a week with a flat with the the old style bias tube type tires. After switching everything over to radials flats were just a bad memory.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

If you have only 1 choice (ie no choices) of tire, you're definitely doing something wrong.
        The trailer I have came along with a hit and miss engine I bought. The trailer is chinese in origin (I think actually through HF), as are the tires, and the fairly small wheels probably do not fit any other tires than chinese. It has not been determined if the hubs will take any other wheel with a different tire.

So I suppose you could say I made a mistake buying the engine, so THAT is "what I done wrong", but I am afraid I cannot agree with you on that point. Nor on the idea that I should have plucked the engine off the trailer and left the trailer.

My Made In USA truck (now traded-in), a Chevy S10, used tires that in the last few years were only available from a Korean vendor, Hankook. What mistake do you claim was made there?

No, I say there is a fault in your reasoning..... Many products are essentially not available except fro china. I assume you just do without.

1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

The problem with my tires on my fire trucks
          is the inside of the rims were rusty.
          Be it from rain getting in around the valve stem
          or the split ring, the rust gets so bad, that airing
          them up to proper pressure eventually caused
          all the tubes to blow from rust punctures.
          Pain in the azz is right. So as I change the tires
          I upgrade the rims to tubeless radial one piece.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

...No, I say there is a fault in your reasoning..... Many products are essentially not available except fro china. I assume you just do without.
            Change the hubs, rims, whatever.
            Why is this not an option ? ? ?

-D
            DZER

Comment

No, I say there is a fault in your reasoning..... Many products are essentially not available except fro china. I assume you just do without.
              My freind was trying to boycott stuff made in China,I laughed and told him to get rid of all his John Deere equipment ( there farm is Solid Green) as a lot of their replacement parts are made in China,Bearing included.Case New Holland is the same ,many others I'm sure as well.

Comment

John Deere is a cult.
                So is Harley Davidson.

-D
                DZER

Comment

The trailer I have came along with a hit and miss engine I bought. The trailer is chinese in origin (I think actually through HF), as are the tires, and the fairly small wheels probably do not fit any other tires than chinese. It has not been determined if the hubs will take any other wheel with a different tire.

So I suppose you could say I made a mistake buying the engine, so THAT is "what I done wrong", but I am afraid I cannot agree with you on that point. Nor on the idea that I should have plucked the engine off the trailer and left the trailer.

My Made In USA truck (now traded-in), a Chevy S10, used tires that in the last few years were only available from a Korean vendor, Hankook. What mistake do you claim was made there?

My advice was to the OP, who did not specify that his wheels were unique to only China-sourced tires, which indeed would be a serious handicap. If you are so misfortuned, then you should have known better.

It is not that I don't buy anything made in China. Indeed it is quite difficult to avoid these days; I have even just recently purchased titanium-axled bike pedals and ordered a DRO from there. But I must admit that it irks the hell out of me to send my money to a country who has unleashed this pandemic on the rest of the world.
                  12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                  Index "Super 55" mill
                  18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                  7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                  24" State disc sander

Comment

Can you piss farther with titanium pedal axles??
                    Just wondering.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

This week ordered Goodyear Endurance tires to replace the 8 year old blown out tires on my utility trailer. Says made in USA. "old" tires were ~8 years old. Still have the decades old bias ply tires hard as a rock I kept as spares. Good thing, now I have to take "new " wheels and replacement tires to have them mounted and balanced. The spares will hold the trailer up until the new ones are mounted.
                      Last edited by Greg_B; 10-25-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        Can you piss farther with titanium pedal axles??
                        Just wondering.

-D
                        Actually the titanium bicycle frame allows me to piss much farther than the titanium axles.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                        Index "Super 55" mill
                        18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                        7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                        24" State disc sander

Comment

Nice !
                          DZER

Comment

My advice was to the OP, who did not specify that his wheels were unique to only China-sourced tires, which indeed would be a serious handicap. If you are so misfortuned, then you should have known better.

I "should have known better?"

Nonsense.... Stuff AND nonsense. You ought to have read the post....The trailer was only in the deal since the engine was attached to it, and the price asked for the engine (of course, Made in USA) was quite fair if not rather low. The trailer formed no part of my decision, and still does not, so there would not be anything for even you to regret, or "know better than"..

So, the trailer is just an extra, which I may choose to keep, or send back to china for melting, at my choice. I shall probably keep it, secure in the knowledge that I have paid the chinese nothing for it. But the wheels or any other part of it are just something to find out about, and make future decisions based on the results. I would be out no cash if I were to just scrap the thing, aside from then needing to find another trailer for the engine.

You may continue to bask in your assumed superiority, avoiding all chinese goods as you surf the 'net with your chinese-made computer (the brand name pasted on it makes no difference).
                            1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

We drive in a lot of rain and salt during a normal year so my small trailers get galvanized rims. Trailer tires are suppose to do better sitting around most of their life than car tires. I find most problems with tires is the failure to keep proper inflation. Under inflated tires will not last long once you load your trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit

You seem to be very pro-China. Any relation to the Bidens?
                                I also try to avoid Chinese goods.
                                Maybe I am basking in my assumed superiority as well.
                                Or maybe I do not like to support a communist government
                                that treats their people like crap and pollutes our environment
                                like crazy. If anyone is assuming things here it is Jerry Tiers.
                                People have lots of reasons for that they believe is right.
                                Making assumptions and labeling and categorizing people
                                is never going to get you a clear picture of the person.
                                Asking questions with a goal of understanding perspective
                                is likely to yield better results. This approach does require
                                good self control of the interrogator, which may be the reason
                                things devolved quickly here in this thread.

-Doozer
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X