Semi-off topic: Trailer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

like crazy. If anyone is assuming things here it is Jerry Tiers.
    -Doozer
    LOL!

Totally wild..... assuming? LOL!

Myself? I do not enter Wally World, and avoid chinese products as much as possible (I DO go to local chinese restaurants...or did until the chinese bat virus). If you are in St Louis area, try "Wonton King" in University City. Very good, just ignore the odd name.

Unlike many here, I do not gleefully buy from bang-good or ali-express, I see folks bragging here about their "good deals" from those bottom-of-the-barrel sources. I do not buy from them at all. I recommend everyone doing the same, but I know the deals are very tempting, and there are folks who would not be in this hobby at all without such sources..
    1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Things appear to have gone off the rails a bit but JT made a fair point. Saying "don't by Chinese tires" is not really that helpful. I try to buy the highest quality durable goods I can afford, whether that's tools, furniture, appliances, whatever. And in many cases, that means doing without. I've built most of my own furniture or done without because I don't like particle board or MDF and I can't afford real wood furniture*. But I need tires and it is hard to find made-in-USA ones. The only made-in-USA trailer tire that fits my trailer (even if I change rim sizes) only goes up to load rating E. I need F or G to take full advantage of the trailer.

Implying I made the wrong choice with the trailer is insulting and unappreciated. This is a 16000 lb. GTWR, 20' trailer that was gifted to me by my BIL. It was in perfect running shape when I got it, no rust, solid deck, electric brakes, and decent tread left on the tire. You suggest accepting this incredibly generous gift was a mistake? That I should have known better and refused the gift, so I could find some weekend-warrior trailer that runs on LT tires and has a payload capacity barely large enough to handle a pair of Bridgeports, let alone one of my Milwaukees? Channeling General McAulliffe, to that I say, "NUTS!"

FYI, Many of the tire brands we grew up with are now produced globally. Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Firestone, etc. are produced in China, Mexico, Brazil, I've even seen a "made in Turkey" on some Goodyear tires, as well as the USA. So buying from one of these trusted brands is no guarantee you're not getting a Chinese made tire but HOPEFULLY they have some decent quality control and you still get a reasonable product.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
        Things appear to have gone off the rails a bit but JT made a fair point. Saying "don't by Chinese tires" is not really that helpful. I try to buy the highest quality durable goods I can afford, The only made-in-USA trailer tire that fits my trailer (even if I change rim sizes) only goes up to load rating E. I need F or G to take full advantage of the trailer.
        You might try finding a reputable commercial tire dealer in your area and talk to a service/sales manager to get some first hand knowledge of what is available. F or G rated tires are not something that the likes of "wally world" or "tires r us" is going to have a clue about and the last time I was in a horror fright store their tire selection was limited to what you would put on an ex friend's wheel barrow.

Steve

Comment

Just a quick search turned up a few you could call.

15.96 mi
          New England Truck Tire Center
          134A River Rd
          Bow, NH

603-223-VIEW (primary)
          Vendor Details
          NOTESHOURS
          16.89 mi
          Matt Brown's Truck Repair
          26 Thibeault Dr
          Bow, NH

603-230-VIEW (primary)
          Vendor Details
          NOTESHOURS
          17.49 mi
          Sullivan Tire Commercial Truck Center
          82 Concord Rd
          Lee, NH

603-868-VIEW (primary)
          Vendor Details
          NOTESHOURS
          18.41 mi
          Maynard & Lesieur Inc
          31 W Hollis St
          Nashua, NH

603-883-VIEW (primary)

Vendor Details

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve! Good advice. My BIL runs two commercial semi-trucks along with all his agricultural equipment. My trailer looks so little compared to his stuff I don't think about the commercial tire guys when I think about trailer tires but that's probably who I need to be talking with.

Comment

I used to be a mechanical engineer at Michelin.
              They have 9 tire plants in the USA, not to mention 2 R and D centers.
              They have 70 tire retread plants in the USA.
              There are USA tires out there.
              Just maybe not what you want to pay.
              Now the 20" truck sizes I mentioned,
              no one in the USA has those. They are
              used in intermodal transport, so Michelin
              does retread 20" truck tires, but many times
              the used casings are sourced from India.

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

The Goodyear Endurance is a great tire but I think its only available in the smaller sizes. Another good choice is the Hercules, you can get them in the 14 ply for 16 inch rims.
                Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

Comment

This week ordered Goodyear Endurance tires to replace the 8 year old blown out tires on my utility trailer. "old" tires were ~8 years old. Says made in USA for the Goodyears. Still have the decades old bias ply tires hard as a rock I kept as spares. Good thing, now I have to take "new " wheels and replacement tires to have them mounted and balanced.

Comment

Working...
                  X