Sea Container Hoist Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Container Hoist Project

I bought a 20' sea container awhile back for storage. Cheaper than a wooden storage shed the same size and except for the floor,Termites are not a problem. I built in shelves in the front half and left the back half open for larger heavy items.

I've built a few of these hoists over the years, the first was for lifting test equipment in and out of a container used as a lab. The idea was to be able to ship the lab overseas and once to the destination country, leave it on the container trailer for easy transport. It allowed for test equipment to be loaded and unloaded from the ground with a simple manual hoist.

The cross member supports are 4x4x1/4" square tube and the I-beam is a standard 6 x 12.5# beam. In use the rollers are mounted on leaf springs so the I-beam floats and is fairly easy to slide in and out.When load is applied, the leaf springs deflect and allow the beam to bear on the support plate ears. This configuration will lift and move 800lbs unsupported and 2,000lbs with the extended end of the beam supported by an A-frame support I have yet to build.

I'm in the process of moving some heavy stuff to my house in town from my parents old homestead. I got a lot of light stuff, but also a few things like a 7-1/2 hp hit and miss engine, a couple mills and a Porter jointer that would need a forklift to load otherwise.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Very cool idea with that sliding I-beam.

Comment

I applaud you! Fantastic ideas! One question, though; how does the leaf spring rollers mount to the support plate ears? Got more photos?

Comment

Originally posted by millwrong View Post
        I applaud you! Fantastic ideas! One question, though; how does the leaf spring rollers mount to the support plate ears? Got more photos?
        Each leaf spring assembly has two mounting bars made from 3/4" sqaure bar. The one that holds the rollers has two rows of holes drilled and tapped at 90* to each other. One row holds the rollers and the other connects to the leaf springs. The other bar has one row of tapped holes to connect to the leaf springs. That block is simply welded to the cross member and both support plates. If you enlarge the third picture you can see the welds.

Comment

Looks good!
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Great idea and nicely done.

Comment

I have nowhere reasonable to put a container, or I would be tempted to do the same.

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
              ....... and except for the floor,Termites are not a problem. .......
              LOL!!
              3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                I have nowhere reasonable to put a container, or I would be tempted to do the same.

LOL!!
                Yep, I could have bought two 40' footers for a little over what I paid for this 20, but not enough room on the lot for a 40 and a new shop building. Under lot size rules though,I could buy another 20 and stack them

Comment

Working...
                X