Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LeBlond Regal HydroShift lathe 19x40 available (cheap?), Metro Detroit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LeBlond Regal HydroShift lathe 19x40 available (cheap?), Metro Detroit

    Local auction last week - auctioneer way overpriced the starting bid and no one bid on the lathe. I was there picking up my one winning lot and got to talking to the auction employee doing the check out. He mentioned that the owners were anxious to sell and thought someone said that $750 would buy it. No financial interest (aside from the 18% auction premium I just paid on my lot). The lathe looked more than a 40 inch center to center. https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...b-ac320156ccb8
    Metro Detroit

  • #2
    A steal unless it has problems in the head.
    Looks like it has more than 3/4" through the headstock as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      You can put regular levers on the gears and disable the servoshift nonsense,
      We have one at work, you never know what gear it is going to go in, or stay in.

      -Doozer
      DZER

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        You can put regular levers on the gears and disable the servoshift nonsense,
        We have one at work, you never know what gear it is going to go in, or stay in.

        -Doozer
        You some kind of Luddite?
        I bet you have a Planer in your shop.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep.
          And I paid $6000 for a brand new trailer to haul it from Buffalo.
          Not a Luddite per se, but I am all about APPROPRIATE technology.
          I do not have a smart phone.
          I have an (many) old car.
          At least my planer is hydraulic.

          -Doozer
          DZER

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            ...Looks like it has more than 3/4" through the headstock as well.
            Typo I think: 3+ inches

            Comment


            • #7
              Yep, I see 3" listed for other Leblond 19" 11E models. That is a NICE spindle!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                You can put regular levers on the gears and disable the servoshift nonsense,
                We have one at work, you never know what gear it is going to go in, or stay in.

                -Doozer
                I've heard various stories about them being problematic.

                Originally posted by AntonLargiader View Post
                Yep, I see 3" listed for other Leblond 19" 11E models. That is a NICE spindle!!
                3" is a serious spindle. You can do some real work on a short lathe too if you have the appropriate outboard steadies.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

                Comment


                • #9
                  I bet you have a Planer in your shop.
                  Many decades ago I was an apprentice in a shop that had been around for over 100 years. Many of the tools were pretty ancient also. I could not understand why they let the planer take up valuable floor space, doing nothing. After a year or so a job came in that nothing but the planer could have handled. Look not down your nose at a planer.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

                    I've heard various stories about them being problematic.



                    3" is a serious spindle. You can do some real work on a short lathe too if you have the appropriate outboard steadies.
                    Not horn tooting, but...

                    My big lathe that I decided to buy was a 17" Colchester (round head, mid 1970s vintage).
                    It has a 3" spindle bore, and a gap bed that will swing 26" if the piece is short.
                    The bed is 54". If you watch my Doozer's shop channel, you can see I put a lot of work
                    into fixing it up. I still need to grind the gap insert, so stay tuned.
                    3" bore lathes are nice. In times past when spindle holes were LESS than 2", I guess
                    the theory was to use a long bed lathe and a steady rest for whatever work was needed.
                    Much nicer to be able to have the headstock swallow up medium length work.

                    -Doozer
                    DZER

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                      Many decades ago I was an apprentice in a shop that had been around for over 100 years. Many of the tools were pretty ancient also. I could not understand why they let the planer take up valuable floor space, doing nothing. After a year or so a job came in that nothing but the planer could have handled. Look not down your nose at a planer.
                      Not at all. I've seen Doozer's YouToob channel and his planer.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X