OT: Medical Question on "Jumpy" Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Medical Question on "Jumpy" Legs

This may be the most Off Topic question ever posted here, but there is so much knowledge in this group that I felt I had to ask.

My wife, who is in her mid 70s, has had an increasingly bad problem with her legs when she tries to sleep. Her legs become nervous and "jumpy". She can not sleep for more than a couple of hours without interruption. Then she must get up and walk around for a period of time before trying to get back to sleep. Our doctor has prescribed a medication to help, but she does not like the possible side effects.

I would think that at least some of our members or their spouses would have this problem. So I am wondering what can be suggested to allow her to have an uninterrupted night of sleep. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Some reports show good results from using C.B.D. for restless leg syndrome.
    Last edited by redlee; 10-26-2020, 06:36 PM.
    Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Is it RLS or PLMD or ??
      What tests were taken?
      Too much caffeine? Low Iron levels?

Comment

Has she tried the prescribed meds and does not like the side effects she gets? Or, has she read the info and doesn't want to experience the "possible" side effects? Not everyone gets all or any of the "possibles."

Comment

An older friend of mine had the same problem. He went to a chiropractor and that helped him quite a bit.

JL...........

Comment

drink enough water, take good vitamins, eat less of what she eats most, including drinks such as tea if she drinks a lot of that.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

My wife had that. Caffeine in her evening tea was causing it. The caffeine didn't interfere with her sleep, but it did give her jumpy legs. She switched to a no caffeine tea in the evening and the problem went away.
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Paul.
                I get restless legs a bit , but not to the extent your wife does. Mainly just involuntary twitching when I'm trying to get to sleep. I have found that these help me. Not sure if they will be available where you are though
                https://schuesslertissuesalts.com.au...-tissue-salts/

regards Peter

Comment

Does she drink diet cola? A friend of mine had restless leg syndrome and found that the aspertame in diet soda was causing it. Once he stopped drinking it his problems went away. I think caffeine has a similar effect.
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I have one of those “Chi” leg shaker machines.
                    When I was working at the refinery I drank a lot of coffee each shift. I would get restless legs fairly often and using the machine before bed really helped.
                    Some units are pretty expensive, but ours was about $130 and has multiple speeds and 3 time ranges.
                    It’s supposed to help circulation too.
                    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Hi,

There are several medications that can be prescribed for restless leg. But your wife may wish to have a sleep study done to get a better handle on all the issues that could be going along with the leg issues. I was prescribed gabapentin and an iron supplement along with a c-pap machine. Who knew that I could sleep more than a couple hours a night.

Poor sleep is not good for long term health.
                      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I've had that problem occasionally, and found that taking an anti-histamine and/or a muscle relaxant such as diazepam or lorazepam have helped. Applying electrical stimulation via a TENS unit may also be effective. I found a fairly comprehensive list of suggestions:

https://www.healthline.com/health/re...her-treatments
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

She is afraid of a prescription medication. I wouldn't even mention that.

I have wondered about a glass of wine before bed time. But I doubt that she would agree to even that.

Originally posted by redlee View Post
                          Some reports show good results from using C.B.D. for restless leg syndrome.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Caffine? I don't think so. She has one cup of coffee a day and often that is decalf.

Low iron? That could be. She was told to reduce her iron intake and she could be overdoing it. I am going to look into that.

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            Is it RLS or PLMD or ??
                            What tests were taken?
                            Too much caffeine? Low Iron levels?
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

I have that problem when napping in My recliner, hands move also. Solution..... move the recliner so Your feet are flat on the floor with a little weight on Them. Hands, just tuck Them along inside by My hips and all is good. Don't need much pressure.
                              mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Working...
                              X