No announcement yet.

OT: Medical Question on "Jumpy" Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that. You know that. 99.99% of the population knows that. An even larger percentage of doctors know that. She has had side effects from other drugs and is nervous about it. If I am going to suggest something, I am afraid it will need to be very free of possible side effects.

Originally posted by gmax137 View Post
    Has she tried the prescribed meds and does not like the side effects she gets? Or, has she read the info and doesn't want to experience the "possible" side effects? Not everyone gets all or any of the "possibles."
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

It is pretty normal for a person to make some jerky movements as they fall asleep. Some may be awakened when they do that. I expect you are not referring to that, but it is something to remember.
      1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

No diet drinks and not a lot of caffeine in her diet.

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
        Does she drink diet cola? A friend of mine had restless leg syndrome and found that the aspertame in diet soda was causing it. Once he stopped drinking it his problems went away. I think caffeine has a similar effect.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

I also suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome. CBD is absolutely fantastic but I haven't found it to have any effect on RLS. Two options: prescription Zanaflex (generic tizanidine) which works well, its major side effect is sleepiness; the other option is a Gatorade style mineral supplement which includes magnesium and potassium. I can understand her reluctance to try a new drug, so try a bottle of Gatorade (or similar).
          Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

A leg massage machine! Sounds like a possible solution. I need to introduce that idea somehow. Perhaps I will just get one and let her take it from there.

If anyone sees a bit of stubbornness in this, all I can say is she is Italian.

Thanks for all the good suggestions: I really do appreciate them. It is nice to know she is not alone in this.

Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
            I have one of those “Chi” leg shaker machines.
            When I was working at the refinery I drank a lot of coffee each shift. I would get restless legs fairly often and using the machine before bed really helped.
            Some units are pretty expensive, but ours was about $130 and has multiple speeds and 3 time ranges.
            It’s supposed to help circulation too.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

A number of years ago I had what was described as Restless Leg Syndrome, and was prescribed several medications for it, and none seemed to help. Then after my Doctor retired, my new Doctor prescribed gabapentin, He said there could be some side effects, But they would go away after I became accustom to it. A person can take up 3500 mg a day and I now take 1600. My wife takes 400. I would bypass all the other drugs for gabapentin and have never in my 79 years found a medication that did more for me. PLUS it is one of the least expensive medications on the market.
              A person has to decide if the side effects are greater than the problem and then decide if they and live with what they are dealt. I gladly chose Gabapentin.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

Comment

Articles have been favorable to d-tocopherol (vitamin E) natural not artificial
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocopherol

Comment

My Chiropractor recommended drinking some tonic water when the symptoms occur. This has worked for me for several years. I use Fever-Tree premium Indian tonic water without any flavor added. The label states "made with natural flavors including natural quinine - no artificial sweeteners." Keep looking until you find something that works!

Comment

Ive got the same problem with RLS. Checked my multivitamin and it showed Iron 0%. Well thats not helping. So im taking an Iron and a potassium supplement and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Dont drink wine. Alcohol inhibits the bodys ability to get into REM sleep and she will wake up tired.

Comment

A bunch of machinists offering medical advice?

Well what the heck, I'll chime in:

Given that your wife is sensibly cautious regarding prescription medications, maybe start with simple things. Is she taking calcium supplements? It's common for women, as they age, to be prescribed calcium to prevent osteoporosis. However, if you have too much calcium and not enough magnesium, muscle spasms and cramps are common. I'm young enough to still enjoy getting out in the sun and doing some pretty physically demanding things like rock climbing. I used to have terribly twitchy legs after a long day of climbing or even just hiking / running. It ended up being caused by a loss of electrolytes. I found drinking "Body Armor" (a coconut water based sports drink that has a lot of potassium and magnesium in it) made an enormous difference. No "charlie horses", no twitches.

So maybe it's worth looking into vitamin levels - not just "does she have enough X or Y" but "what is the ratio between X and Y" type of thing.

Comment

Comment withdrawn due to carl byrns statement below.... good day
                        Last edited by ahidley; 10-28-2020, 03:04 AM.

Comment

That’s exactly what I was going to say, I had the same after tramadol, jumping even in my sleep, I stopped the tramadol, jumping continued, Mg stops it, plus helps sleep, I take the liquid ( oddly they whack a load of it into you if your having a heart attack)
                          mark

Comment

Have you asked anyone with a degree in medicine?
                            Seriously, my wife is an RN and can tell you all sorts of stories about home remedies or diagnosis causing unpleasant-to-permanent health problems.
                            Free medical advice is worth less than you pay for it- it can kill you or make you wish for death.

Comment

Working...
                            X