No announcement yet.

Long Handled Ratchet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knurls suck as handles. Far better to have a "knob" on the end so you cannot easily slip off the end. I have a set of "Indestro" sockets and wrench that are smooth with a larger handle area, and no knob. They are very good tools, but I have slipped off on a hot day with oily hands. And I have also exploded one of the sockets (the 3/4", loosening lug bolts) just pulling very hard (no cheater). Replaced that with an impact socket that probably won't explode.

I have seen new chinese "Proto" brand at one of the big box stores, that have a contoured handle that is likely too small but at least looks as if you would not have your hand slip off, even though they are polished.

Polishing is kinda "iffy", it can just be the lipstick on the pig. My old Vlchek wrenches have a slightly smoothed "as-forged" finish that is easy on hands and fairly non-slip. A good compromise
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-28-2020, 02:07 PM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

My long handled ratchet is a Snap On I found, over 50 years ago, on the floor of a 57 Chevy in a junk yard.
      It's seen a ton of abuse, over the years, and still works as good as the day I found it.
      I'd hate to think what it would cost today!!

THANX RICH
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

I had Snap-On tubing wrenches and crows feet for brass tubing fittings. TIGHT fit. Other brands rounded the brass nuts. Snap-On NEVER did.

I have a 3/4" drive bar and a four foot cheater pipe. That, and the ratchet socket. Try managing all that running in 6 14mm-1.5 bolts 1-1/2 inch each in. Wear you sef out. Yeah, I think an 18" ratchet would do. Tekton? OK. I'll look. Craftsman is NVAL in 18"

Comment

At one time in my life 40+ years ago, I was a tool dealer, Snap-On, Mac and eventually Matco before I moved on to another career. It's likely things have changed but during my tool dealer days, S-K ratchets and Blackhawk ratchets had fewer breakages than Snap-on. Blackhawk made ratchets for Mac Tools before the two companies that comprised Mac Tools split up becoming Mac Tools and Matco. If S-K or Blackhawk still make tools and their ratchets are of the same design you wouldn't go wrong with either one if they make them in the length you want.

Comment

Found somethin interesting on Lowes website. Steelman variable handle ratchet, Item #2491077. Nice price.
            Gearwrench ratchet, 24" handle, twice the price. Item #2410696 If 24" is too long, I can always shorten it.
            Capri Tools 17-1/2" handle, flex head. $49. Item #2299254
            Craftsman 17" flex head. $52 Ebay item 192630133066

I have a nice discount at Lowes, and some gift cards.
            Last edited by John Buffum; 10-28-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firbikrhd1 View Post
              At one time in my life 40+ years ago, I was a tool dealer, Snap-On, Mac and eventually Matco before I moved on to another career. It's likely things have changed but during my tool dealer days, S-K ratchets and Blackhawk ratchets had fewer breakages than Snap-on. Blackhawk made ratchets for Mac Tools before the two companies that comprised Mac Tools split up becoming Mac Tools and Matco. If S-K or Blackhawk still make tools and their ratchets are of the same design you wouldn't go wrong with either one if they make them in the length you want.
              Good advice. Insider stuff. Will check availability. Those in Ebay are PRICEY. Twice to three times the price of Craftsman. Wow. What a choice. SK quality, or Craftsman easy replaceability. BTW, who sells SK over the counter? That might tip the balance in favor.

Comment

Originally posted by John Buffum View Post

Good advice. Insider stuff. Will check availability. Those in Ebay are PRICEY. Twice to three times the price of Craftsman. Wow. What a choice. SK quality, or Craftsman easy replaceability. BTW, who sells SK over the counter? That might tip the balance in favor.
                SK Tools went bankrupt in 2010 and was purchased by Ideal Industries. I've not seen any of their new hand tools; my small selection of SK stuff is hand-me down from the 80s and 90s. Based on the price and marketing, I suppose SK is still a quality brand.

FWIW, there seems to be a loose inverse correlation between the number of teeth and the strength of the ratchet. My SK ratchets have a pretty loud, coarse ratchet but I've abused the heck out of them and they're still going strong (abuse as in free a rusted nut by actually hammering on the handle with a hand sledge - something that should really destroy a ratchet!). On the other hand, I've stripped a couple of different ratchets with silky smooth mechanisms by putting cheater bars on them (another obvious no-no).

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

FWIW, there seems to be a loose inverse correlation between the number of teeth and the strength of the ratchet. My SK ratchets have a pretty loud, coarse ratchet but I've abused the heck out of them and they're still going strong (abuse as in free a rusted nut by actually hammering on the handle with a hand sledge - something that should really destroy a ratchet!). On the other hand, I've stripped a couple of different ratchets with silky smooth mechanisms by putting cheater bars on them (another obvious no-no).
                  Been there. Done that. 32 oz ball pein hammer. Ya duz whatcha gotta. Early days of JC Whitney. Tools made out of butter and tissue paper. 1960s. Bought Craftsman in the 1970s, and stopped having that problem. Gud stuf then.

Comment

I have a 24" handled ratchet. Harbor freight 1" drive. Got it for the sockets that came with the kit. For size, not quality. Ill never break it.

Here is my other 24" ratchet. Its semi manual so I have to make the click noise JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	24 wrench.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1907404

Comment

Hahahahahahahaha!

After careful consideration, the Craftsman on Ebay gets the nod. Sized right. A brand I've had good luck with. I'm no longer a pro, so won't be beaten to death in daily use. I think 24" was just too long, and 15" too short, which eliminated Tekton. SK was just too pricey for a home (ab)user. I had never heard of the other brands, and thanks to the brushing scam, you can't trust reviews anymore.

BTW, even tho our accounts are deleted, we're STILL receiving unordered merchandise from Amazon. (brushing scam) We write "scam" on it, and give it to the driver to take back. Annoying. At least they no longer have our card numbers, ... for now.

Thank you for all your good advice.
                      Last edited by John Buffum; 10-28-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X