Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McMaster-Carr never fails to amaze me, in a positive way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMaster-Carr never fails to amaze me, in a positive way.

I needed some 7/16"-14, stainless steel fully threaded rod for a shop project this week.

I could find it locally at the local take yer pay check places, Grainger and Fastenal but my mortgage was due, cant spare the 100$. So McMaster had it, inexpensive. Lill over nine bucks a stick. Needed four 3' sticks.

Put it in the cart and went to check out, no shipping quote, weird. I have an account with them for many years. Well, I need it last monday. I ordered it and hoped there wasn't a $40 shipping attachment. Ordered yesterday got here just now.

Shipping!! $7.49. What... How the heck, that is dirt cheap, I cant even drive there for that much.

Oh, and it didnt come in some flimsy birthday wrapping paper. Solid cardboard tube.

Another satisfing experience with them if not a lil scurry That seems to be their MO. Wont say who the manufacture is but its always top notch. Now inexpensive shipping is a secret LOL

JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcmaster.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1907411

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Love McMaster Carr.
    Every time.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Oh ... I feel cheated: you got 4, 3' sticks of 7/16 rod delivered for $7.49 and I paid $9.50 for the delivery of a 1/2" grinding wheel?

Comment

Yep and you might consider calling or emailing them to tell them how much you appreciate their realistic and fair shipping, not only cost but quickness. I let them know because I am sick and tired of 20 -40 buck shipping charges for things that should cost 10 to 15. Others are taking advantage and I quit using them. Been with MCM for 45 years and my first go to for everything. They have earned my business and I want them to know why. Rant over!

Comment

❤️ McMaster! Especially when I’m not paying!

Comment

Originally posted by no704 View Post
            ❤️ McMaster! Especially when I’m not paying!
            Ha! Ain't that the truth.

You know, I had someone from McMaster-Carr reach out to me asking how they could improve their website and online ordering experience. I just laughed and told them my usual answer to these kinds of survey questions is "go take a look at McMaster.com. That's how a website should look". Their online catalog and customer service have become the standard by which I judge everyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

You know, I had someone from McMaster-Carr reach out to me asking how they could improve their website and online ordering experience. I just laughed and told them my usual answer to these kinds of survey questions is "go take a look at McMaster.com. That's how a website should look". Their online catalog and customer service have become the standard by which I judge everyone else!
              Ha! Same thing happened with me, but it came from my bitching about them getting rid of the bookmark feature. They set up a Zoom session and interviewed me! I told them the saved cart, reorder, and shopping list features from Amazon would also greatly improve their usability. For ex: I'd like to have a "6 footer" shopping list, so when I get enough pieces to make the expensive overlength shipping worth it, I can pull the trigger.

They're damn good, but no one's so good they can't improve, and it's great to know that they know it too.

Comment

Count me as another with only positive experience dealing with McMaster-Carr. Only a few states away from their NJ location, if I put the order in before 9:00AM I typically get it the next day. I was told UPS has an office within the McMaster warehouse, and that's how they keep cost down and delivery so fast. Whatever they're doing, I hope they keep doing it. It would be a shame to "try" to make improvements only to lose their edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Ain't that the truth! We've got a healthy senior design budget, and I'm looking at McMaster items in a whole new light. I don't gotta be cheap for once.

I have a friend who is a web dev. I pulled him over one day and told him that if he ever makes a sales site for a customer, emulate this one. And how about that search! Takes you to the actual page, instead of pulling up 9000 items containing that keyword buried in the description. MSC could learn a lot. Like when I'm in a damn hurry to buy something and you shove 4 pop-up's in my face, I'm gonna be pissed.

I did make a complaint once that their bearing locknuts don't have the ABMA standard number listed like, uhh, everyone else. They said they'd look into it but didn't change it. Like Gellfex said, they're good, but there are always improvements that can be made.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Yep, when I need quality, I go to them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

I did make a complaint once that their bearing locknuts don't have the ABMA standard number listed like, uhh, everyone else. They said they'd look into it but didn't change it. Like Gellfex said, they're good, but there are always improvements that can be made.
                      Yeah, I actually ended up complaining about the lack of datasheets / specifics on some of their electronic components. I get their justification for not listing manufacturer, but sometimes I need a smidge more info than they provide for some components.

Comment

Oh I am so envious whenever you guys mention McMaster Carr. We don't have anything like that in the UK!
                        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Love them. It's a little scary at first agreeing to give them your CC number without having a fixed price, but they have always been more than fair in shipping, MUCH better than most.

Comment

Yes they are awesome. I have had occasions where shipping was a little high but generally they are good about that. They are generally very good about getting your stuff out super fast.

Comment

They are usually great, but... I once ordered a 1/2"x10', Schedule 80 PVC pipe. It was $6.76. The invoice showed for $76 freight shipping.
                              Beyond that, they have one of the best search engines I've ever used.

Comment

Working...
                              X