Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's best doorstop/toe breaker

My dad made some of these years ago.

Start with some railroad track. Using an abrasive chop saw, cut into 6" pieces. Debur, clean up, clearcoat. Glue some felt onto the bottom and you are done.

The flange goes under the door and holds it securely.

I'd like to make some more as Christmas gifts; where do you get railroad track?

Mike

ebay

Comment

Try a scrapyard..

Comment

from my backyard, but it makes BNSF all crabby.

I had a pile of railroad ties back there. it got covered in a flood a couple years back. the ties were from the last time the same section of track got flooded.

Comment

BNSF was doing some work on a rail crossing in town. There was a 4' piece of track laying there and I asked about it.

Short answer: NO!
          Long answer: They have to turn in every little piece of track for the company to scrap. The guys working on the track did not have any idea where to get some track.

Ebay stuff is already cut short an way too pricey.

Nobody I've talked to can tell me where BNSF dumps their scrap track.

Mike

Comment

Just a few weeks ago we cut into short pieces about 120 tons of rail 😂
            Helder Ferreira
            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
              I'd like to make some more as Christmas gifts; where do you get railroad track?
              Mike
              Where you located? (meaning down here (Cali) or up there (CA)) I ask cause I have this six foot section that has been following me around for 40 years and could lop off a bit for you. Problem is, it is incredibly heavy, no shipping.

You cant buy or borrow this stuff from the RR. They are very protective of their steel rail. This stuff was passed on to me from an old Engineer's SIL Brakeman. JR

Here is my toe breaker Toad. He is pretty good about keeping the door open and wreckin my big toes I keep meaning to paint his eyes green and red.....

Toad the Toe Breaker.. TTB

Click image for larger version  Name:	Toad stop.jpg Views:	54 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	1907560

Rail from Ralph....

Click image for larger version  Name:	rail track.jpg Views:	54 Size:	964.0 KB ID:	1907561

Last edited by JRouche; 10-29-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I'm in NorCal (SF bay Area) as opposed to your SoCal location. 6'. That could be 200#. With the current CV-19 situation I doubt I will make south for awhile. I'll contact you when I feel more able to travel.

Mike

Comment

I'm in NorCal (SF bay Area) as opposed to your SoCal location. 6'. That could be 200#. With the current CV-19 situation I doubt I will make south for awhile. I'll contact you when I feel more able to travel.

Mike
                  Sounds good, anytime.. JR

Comment

Mike
                    Give these guys a try:[email protected]

Not quite as far as so cal

Steve

Comment

Railroads are very protective of it. This is to prevent thieves from pulling up track and selling it to scrap yards. You might fine some rail for overhead cranes at a re-seller. Most of it is a little lighter than mainline rail.
                      Sarge41

Comment

There are remnants of abandoned RR's all over the country, some still have track in certain places, mostly on abandoned industrial sidings. Best no one sees you, foamers will get very mad.

Comment

Selling rail to a scrapyard is illegal. However Joseph Fazzio scrap has short pieces of rail for sale in Glassboro NJ and has an online store. A lot of the pieces have a short ground wire thermite welded to the lower flange. So these are probably cutoffs where they repaired a rail.

Comment

I've got a chunk from the rail siding at Hendey Machine.
                            Just think it's pretty cool.
                            Len

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                              ............. A lot of the pieces have a short ground wire thermite welded to the lower flange. So these are probably cutoffs where they repaired a rail.
                              Likely subway or elevated rail. Could be regular rail, as I think there are still electrified parts out east.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                              X