• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Very good point D..

Stupid me has house solar to the tune of 7kw and I dont have a hybrid.
    I wouldnt need to be cobbling some wacky battery pak together. I could drive one off the lot.
    I am obviously not taking advantage of my solar like I should be. You made some great points. JR
    Anyone wanna buy an old 1962 chevy that has a V8. I need a hybrid
    Not just any old hybrid. Different companies use different technology. Some are integrated so well that you are seldom aware that it's using the battery instead of the engine. Others are only hybrid in that they stop the motor when you are at a stop light.

If you have solar and drive a lot, a plug in hybrid makes a lot of sense. Depending on your choice, you will have 25 to 70 miles of range on battery without ever starting the engine. They are making the new plug in RAV4 available next year. It's all wheel drive and more range (42 miles) on electric than 95% of the population needs in an average day. According to car and driver, Toyota's plug-in RAV4 has 302 horsepower, stretches a gallon of gas, can tow up to 2500 pounds, and will beat a four-cylinder Supra in a few acceleration tests.

If you only drive occasionally there's not much value in upgrading unless you are already in the market for a new car. The original owner of my car drove it less than 50 miles a month**, so obviously did not get a decent return on his investment. I glad he sold it.

Dan
    ** The car has a mileage diary built in, and it was not cleared when it was traded in for a BMW. So I peeked.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Haaa. Maybe he got a different variant. They made 3. The HF, the Si and the standard.

I think the HF stands for High Fuel Efficiency (was king in the the day, 60+ MPG coming home from New Mexico one weekend, its down hill slightly).

The Si was the sports model and the standard was a lil nicer than the bare bones HF but not as efficient.

Wish I still had it... JR
    I knew i made a mistake when I wrote that without clarifying ,,, both were HF's and yes it stands for "high fuel" he also did have an SI and so did I along with the first gen CRX that I bought long long ago...
    BTW -- iv never had such a high speed car as my old SI,,, incredible the speed you could go with so little horsepower,,, like and honest 130 to 135 consistently ...

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by darryl View Post
    Offhand, the hybrid does seem to be the way to go. Electric assist for acceleration and hill climbing, with a small gas or propane engine for steady cruising and battery charging, power brakes and power steering. Go one step further and give it the generator capability- run your household in emergencies.
    Very good point D..

Stupid me has house solar to the tune of 7kw and I dont have a hybrid.

I wouldnt need to be cobbling some wacky battery pak together. I could drive one off the lot.

I am obviously not taking advantage of my solar like I should be. You made some great points. JR

Anyone wanna buy an old 1962 chevy that has a V8. I need a hybrid

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    JR my bro had both an 89 and has a 91 now, he was the king but as you can guess has been recently "dethroned" lol (he's handling it well)

great cars and stone simple (unlike mine)

for some reason his 91 has never achieved the same great scores that his 89 has, yeah it's slightly heavier (both did and do not have AC) but im thinking perhaps emissions rules may have gone through a change restricting nOx levels even further or some damn thing...
    Haaa. Maybe he got a different variant. They made 3. The HF, the Si and the standard.

I think the HF stands for High Fuel Efficiency (was king in the the day, 60+ MPG coming home from New Mexico one weekend, its down hill slightly).

The Si was the sports model and the standard was a lil nicer than the bare bones HF but not as efficient.

Wish I still had it... JR

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Another added bennie to the type of car your driving Danlb is the fact that short trips like that don't effect you and yet work into the honest values of your typical hybrids by them being on the enrichment mode most of the time --- even the almighty first second and third gen prius which is a work of mechanical/electrical art and have a secondary electric water pump that stores heated coolant into a thermos of sorts and reintroduces it back into the engine block upon start up is not immune to this fact,,,

it all adds up, although --- if you lived in really cold climate you would not be able to pull it off as cheap simply for the fact of having to heat a cab and all it takes,,, starts to make the waste energies of even a hybrid look more appealing --- lots of factors to consider... my little pea-shooter uses so little fuel it takes awhile to heat the cab even with an engine that gets up to temp as fast as it can by running its header system inside the head itself --- no bolting on a set of headers on this thing - it's just a single pipe coming out of the head --- hope i never run low on coolant or that could come back to bite me in a hurry - but oh forgot - barely burning any fuel to begin with lol

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    You make a good point Darryl. I've been driving a plug in hybrid for the last year, and find a small battery pack is all that's needed for daily driving. Most days I drive 10 miles or so. Because the battery is so small and the use is small it recharges in less than an hour from a 16 amp 220V source. But when I need to hit the freeway for a 500 mile drive the gas engine kicks in as needed, charging the battery while powering the wheels. When the battery is full it shuts down the gas engine and runs on battery for a few miles, then repeats the cycle.

The idea behind the plug in hybrid is that it behaves like an electric car most of the time, and can behave like a conventional full hybrid if you need to drive more than 25 miles in a day. Even with battery pack and gas engine the Prius Prime weighs 600 lbs less than the full range Tesla Model 3 or Nissan Leaf. Different plug in models have different sized batteries, so range and weight may vary.

I last put gas in my car back in February. It still has a full tank.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    JR my bro had both an 89 and has a 91 now, he was the king but as you can guess has been recently "dethroned" lol (he's handling it well)

great cars and stone simple (unlike mine)

for some reason his 91 has never achieved the same great scores that his 89 has, yeah it's slightly heavier (both did and do not have AC) but im thinking perhaps emissions rules may have gone through a change restricting nOx levels even further or some damn thing...

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Offhand, the hybrid does seem to be the way to go. Electric assist for acceleration and hill climbing, with a small gas or propane engine for steady cruising and battery charging, power brakes and power steering. Go one step further and give it the generator capability- run your household in emergencies. You could still charge the battery from house current, but in all likelyhood you wouldn't often need to. If you did, a single 110 outlet would be enough- no need to even go to 220, let alone a 'custom' charging station at home.

I once read that it takes all of 20 hp to maintain a full size car at 55 mph- the other 980 hp is for jackrabbit starts and accelerating uphill. For a small car, especially part or full electric, that should be less- my 13 hp generator could be enough to cruise with on gas alone for steady state driving. This would mean that gas alone could not be used for stop/start- electric assist would be mandatory.

I guess it comes down to the driving experience- most of us are probably still stuck on the 'full size car', big engine thing that we've become accustomed to, or are at least told that's what we want. I'm not against the 'big engine'- I like driving the Astro van with it's 200 hp and low revs, that's a comfortable experience on its own, with lots of interior room and loading capability. But I think I could also go way smaller than even the Kia- provided I got a good sporty feeling out of it. That could be something like a road-worthy 4 trak, or even a two wheeler- provided it had the full canopy and heat. An airplane cockpit on wheels- and with full diameter wheels, not the 9 inch castors that some of those car-wannabees have.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    after my CRX's a
    I had a 1990 CRX HF. For 1990 the HF was the all star gas sipper. Loved the car. Was so light that I had a completely flat rear tire and didnt know it till I was getting gas one day. True story. That car was plain jane cept for the 1000 dollar A/C I opted for. JR

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Iv always had to be somewhat efficient --- and for some reason as of the last couple decades even more so - so much that I just been opting out on taking pleasure cruises till now due to this car,

FWIW if anyone has a hybrid system and the battery is starting to shoot craps and your thinking of replacing it or selling the car give me a shout, allot of these batterys are actually still good in fact that's all the remanufactured ones are is old ones ran through some total drain/recharge modes, beats spending a couple grand or more for the same thing...

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    replied
    My daughter recently gave me her 2006 Silverado 4 wd pickup to replace the elderly GMC Jimmy I have been driving the past couple of years. It drives as if it had 10 miles on the clock, but it has travelled nearly 300,000 . It towed her camper across Canada twice without any problems.
    Providing I drive at 60 mph or less I get about 25 mpg on long journeys, As I travel only for pleasure and not for work or commuting economy is a minor. consideration.
    One ,long deceased employer who drove a real Land Rover always referred to small cars, especially those fitted with big exhaust pipes as " Fartmobiles".
    I have owned a few small cars in my time , but like Doozer, really enjoy big trucks,
    Regards David Powell.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    The 2000 insight had better mileage but had only two seats. It was able to do a decent 0-60, but could only do it a few times before the battery became discharged too much to allow electric assist.
    I think your off on the 0 - 60 taking out the pack in that short of order, id hate to put the car through it to see what it would take to drain the pack doing that and I have the original battery pack that was throwing an IMA code when i bought the car and I brought the battery back around by deep cycle draining/charging routine, You also have to keep in mind your going to be stopping the car to do another test, so "most" of your energy gets pumped back into the pack for the next "launch",

last night I left my town and had to climb out of what we call "8 mile hill" it's the only area I really charged up max throttle and assist the whole trip just to see what the car could do --- I drained the pack to only half level after many many minutes of assist, crested the "summit" @ 71mph... many many zero to 60 times could have been fit into that time frame - perhaps dozens, and that's all without the bennies of recharge braking that you would have gotten from lining up to do another 0 - 60 run...

there may be another factor here though --- I have a 5 speed and when having to gear down and rap the engine out for long periods it seems my assist scale drops off to about half level or 2/3rds depending, maybe my pack cannot put out the discharge rate for long extended periods because it's weak?

it might even be some kind of thermal protection mode for the long grunts to keep the electric motor/generator from having a meltdown, Im surprised to learn that these motors are not cooled - and they are sandwiched between two heat producing elements, the engine and the trans - now toss in the heat from the friction disc (clutch) --- cannot be an easy life!

that being said - for short periods like going through first/second and third gear it will hold full assist all the way up to redline from a dead stop till your shifting out of third,

So I don't know all the factors yet - im still learning about the car, but perhaps even many of the guru's who know them well do not live in the testing conditions that are in my backyard so never experience some things...

The 5 speed manual was not really made for long stop and go commutes, since it required you to put it in neutral when stopped in order to kill the engine.

Dan
    It's not a bad thing - it becomes second nature, I would say the biggest factor is the downshifting, something the CVT's do automatically, but Iv always done it automatically with my manuals just to save brakes, so yeah that's a preference but not even a consideration in my case, i'll take the manual any day, I milk out all the stored momentum and put it back into the battery with the re-gen system and then when the cars almost stopped I just slip it into neutral "IF" I see that im going to be sitting at a light or stop sign for awhile, "IF" I know it's going to be an immediate take off then I don't even bother,

in that respect the manual actually has an advantage - why turn off your engine when you don't want too ? why create the delay? yet the CVT's will make that judgement call for you, many times being the wrong decision, no big whoop it's just a split second - but one i don't have to even worry about and can stop and count on taking back off in an instant - sometimes allowing me to get through an intersection because the opportune time needed to be just that, instant...

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    The trifecta for automobile power plants is: Efficiency, power, pollution. It seems that it's easy to excel in any two areas, but all three at once is more difficult. It would seem that blinding fast acceleration would not cost in efficiency or pollution. Unfortunately even with BEVs the 1000 HP surges will make a dent in the battery capacity. I think it's Peukert's law that says that as the rate of discharge increases, the battery's available capacity decreases. Likewise, you can lean out an engine a lot to get better economy, but at some point the pollutants and / or power are impacted.

I'd say that the 2020 Insight is doing pretty well in most aspects for a 5 passenger car at 48 mpg and 8 second 0-60. Reading up on it, you get the 0-60 in "sport mode" OR you get 48 mpg in the economy mode. That's logical. The allowable emissions are limited by the government so power and efficiency are the only two areas that they can mess with. The 2000 insight had better mileage but had only two seats. It was able to do a decent 0-60, but could only do it a few times before the battery became discharged too much to allow electric assist. The 5 speed manual was not really made for long stop and go commutes, since it required you to put it in neutral when stopped in order to kill the engine.

Ringo asked: Well, what is it? the window sticker doesnt say. it it a 2 seater or no?

2020 is a 5 seater. 2000 is a 2 seater.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Yup Paul that's my car, It's a two seater, got to thinking --- after my CRX's a suzi X-90 and my del sol this is my fifth two seater that iv owned, in many cases one seat too many but nice to have in case you need it i guess...

all these years i have never owned anything bigger than a four banger.... crazy times and now I got a three lol

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    At least all the cars your talking about are steel - this things aluminum,,, you can't even call it a tin can,,, yet it's pretty robust in areas, very very thick stuff, supposedly has the same 4 star crash rating as it's bigger steel brother the honda civic of same year...

It is nimble as all get out, you can avoid allot of trouble in an instant - it literally darts around if and when you want it too.

I took a little trip tonight - mountain trip of 127.3 miles up and back down (I live in the foothills), could not believe it, 69mpg's to get up to a higher town, and by the time i got back down the MPG rating was 73.5...
    I have checked the cars estimated MPG rating to what goes in at the pump and how many miles covered and it's spot on along with it's speed comparison to those speed check boxes that show how fast your going.

Going up my driving speed was about average to maybe 5 under in key areas that I knew was a help, of course coming back down the speed was about average to 5 over. car has a drag coefficient of .25 so very slippery and good time to take advantage of it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05364.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1907901

it's not a car - it's a scientific lab experiment and a great cruiser very comfortable and fun to drive....

and ya have to keep in mind - this is with 10% ethanol... im smitten...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X