Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darryl
    replied
    My bank told me today that they have had several instances of this same thing showing up on peoples statements. They also said they have no answer to it. Got a new card, checked the accounts- all is well so far. They reversed the charges- I got 6 cents back. But no answers-

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

CVV2 is required to be collected only when the card is not presented for the purchase, that would be phone and E-commerce transactions.
    I'm more concerned that when the physical card is presented or swiped, no verification is made that you are the cold holder or authorized user.
    Yes.... And I am told that the signature is no longer even a factor, not collected on "small" purchases, and on larger ones, may still not be looked at in any way, not considered as "verification" at all..

And, of course, a dual-purpose credit/debit is run as debit with no notice and ZERO verification of ANYTHING even when it is several hundred dollars.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I thought at one time there was a law where merchants could not keep your CC number on file.

I used to have to give it to a merchant every time even if I did repeat business with them. Then I remember one of them asking me if I wanted to use my XXX card ? That's when I found out they were keeping numbers. The more businesses that have your info on file the more likely it is to fall into the wrong hands. Businesses get hacked all the time and CC info is stolen.

When they first started putting the three digit code on the back of the card a lot of businesses never asked for it and sometimes I would refuse to give it citing security issues, no one argued with me and the transaction always went through. Giving out that number is like giving out your SS # every time you make a purchase.

Apparently that changed some years ago.

JL..............
    CVV2 is required to be collected only when the card is not presented for the purchase, that would be phone and E-commerce transactions.
    I'm more concerned that when the physical card is presented or swiped, no verification is made that you are the cold holder or authorized user.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

Not if all merchants follows the rules (and there are some hefty penalties if they don't). Merchants are allowed to store all the information above, but not the CVV. Not saying it can't happen, but it's much less likely. On the other hand, you don't need the CVV to charge a card.
    I thought at one time there was a law where merchants could not keep your CC number on file.

I used to have to give it to a merchant every time even if I did repeat business with them. Then I remember one of them asking me if I wanted to use my XXX card ? That's when I found out they were keeping numbers. The more businesses that have your info on file the more likely it is to fall into the wrong hands. Businesses get hacked all the time and CC info is stolen.

When they first started putting the three digit code on the back of the card a lot of businesses never asked for it and sometimes I would refuse to give it citing security issues, no one argued with me and the transaction always went through. Giving out that number is like giving out your SS # every time you make a purchase.

Apparently that changed some years ago.

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Why bother writing void?

Easier to just tear them up.

Leave a comment:

• sch
    replied
    One other CC aspect, those "checks" they like to send out now and then attached to your statement: I generally wrote void in large print
    across these and put them inside of two envelopes before discard. Turns out 'someone' in the local trash collection acquired one I guess
    when it spilled out or maybe the acct was hacked dunnoh, but a check was written to the CC in a state 500 miles away that I have never
    been in for $1750. Since CC charges on this acct never exceed $300 with auto payoff every month I immediately called the CC hot line
    and complained. Charge was removed after 10 day investigation and CC replaced. So don't treat those checks lightly, they are a direct
    line into your CC. Incidentally the bank charge for the $1750 'cash advance' was $70, so another reason not to ever use those checks.

As to debit cards, I have one but it is linked to an acct which is not my main acct and has only $2000 in it. I set it up this way for a few
    trips to England as, at the time, it was cheaper exchange rate wise to use the debit than a CC at ATMs and gas stations, most of which
    in the UK were keyed to PINs at that time.
    Last edited by sch; 11-02-2020, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

Not if all merchants follows the rules (and there are some hefty penalties if they don't). Merchants are allowed to store all the information above, but not the CVV. Not saying it can't happen, but it's much less likely. On the other hand, you don't need the CVV to charge a card.
    Correct.
    If merchants don't follow the rules for CC processing: CVV2 carried with the transaction and only exists for the duration of the transaction, never stored, they are not allowed to do business.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripe
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    That three digit number is just another false sense of security. If a hacker can get the card number, expiration date your name and address etc. then they can get the CVV number as well.

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    It's not well known, but you can get an ATM card that is not a debit card. You can use it at most point of sale terminals like they have at the store. You can also use it at an ATM. An ATM card has protection similar to a credit card.

<snip>

Say NO to debit cards if you can.

Dan
    That worked for me for several years, but on the last card my bank issued, when I asked to have it only ATM and not debit, they said "Can't be done". The only thing they could suggest was to set a daily limit to just $1. I wasn't happy about that, but not quite pissed enough to change banks.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
    Our bank will only pay if the credit card is correct with the CVV number in the back of the card and invoice address matching the account.
    That three digit number is just another false sense of security. If a hacker can get the card number, expiration date your name and address etc. then they can get the CVV number as well.

Maybe it was the Bidens !!

JL.................

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    The worst thing about debit cards is that the store does not NEED any numbers at all! They do not need to ask for your PIN! They just run the card and hand it back, No big deal, you just get charged.

That PIN number thing is a TOTAL HOAX. NOT ONE TIME was I asked for a PIN to use the card as a debit, the store ran it as debit without telling me, and that was it, Anyone could do it.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    It's not well known, but you can get an ATM card that is not a debit card. You can use it at most point of sale terminals like they have at the store. You can also use it at an ATM. An ATM card has protection similar to a credit card.

Debit cards are easy to hack. The number format is easy to discover. Given that a hacker can just try one number after another until they get one that works. Hackers often use donations to an on line charity in order to test for a good card. The charities have poor security and most won't want to hassle the Red Cross about a $1 donation. A family member had a debit card that had never been used and hackers guessed her number and cleaned out her checking account.

Say NO to debit cards if you can.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Yes, yes, YES! Credit cards do have a lot of protection. You just have to notify the CC company/bank promptly. I have been preaching this for some time now, here and elsewhere.

OTOH, DEBIT cards are like the thief lifted your wallet. It is gone and good luck getting it reversed. I have only ONE debit card that I only use at MY bank's ATM machine. Never for anything else. Just because it looks like a credit card, does not mean it is.

I have told my story about a bad credit card charge many times. Search for it if you wish. I was reimbursed 100% but it took some time.

And DO get on the phone with the CC company/bank in the morning. And Amazon too. NOTIFY them immediately and I would do it in writing too (you know, SNAIL MAIL/USPS stuff). The written notification can be very important. That IS in the fine print.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Debit cards are fair game and no rules, no protection.

Credit cards are different.... they have protection.

Watch out, because some cards are BOTH. I have one like that which I want to change, but the bank won't offer a straight credit card. I found out (I "kinda knew" already) when some merchants ran it as a debit without asking or telling me. I just won't go back to them.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 11-02-2020, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Debit cards are fair game and no rules, no protection.

Credit cards are different.... they have protection.

Watch out, because some cards are BOTH. I have one like that which I want to change, but the bank won't offer a straight credit card. I found out (I "kinda knew" already) when some merchants ran it as a debit without asking or telling me. I just won't go back to them.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    OK.

So I was a Deputy for a second, people dont like cops now so I dont advertise.

The last stint I did was in the Detectives office. Tried to learn every section there.

Robbery/Burglary (211,459). Assaults/Battery (240). Rapes and Domestic Violence (261, 243) and Vandals,,

One section was interesting.
    A Detective that did all the Money crimes. In with that is Identity Thefts. I have taken over one hundred identity theft reports prior to learning from this guy.

You have an intrusion. LoL. I would not ignore that stuff. JR

I might have been called a computer hacker at one point also. Its all in the records. Unfortunately the internet keeps all. Oh well.

Hints and Tips: Never use your Visa or Mastercard backed Debit card anywhere!!

Except locally for what we do.

You travel? Do not use that card that is attached directly to your checking account or any other account with any large money in it.

MC and Visa will tell you to pack sand, its (Debit card) not protected and I can clean yer checking acct. that fast. They wont cover it and you can be cleaned real fast..

Wanna see? JR

Leave a comment:

Working...
X