Which Import Mig welder do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MTNGUN View Post
    I picked up a Maxus (rebranded Campbell Hausfield) Pro-140 about 10 years ago. Have been using it quite a bit with 0.023" wire to do auto body repair, but have occasionally run 0.030" and 0.035" flux core. Nothing bad to say about it so far. It's 110V, but that's not an issue for sheet metal, and it's convenient to be able to roll it around and plug it into any outlet in the shop.

But that model is no longer on the market, and Wierdscience wants a 220V -- I'd look at Primeweld, just because their customer service is generally rated best of the imports. The Primeweld Mig180 is $479, and for that price you get a spool gun and a 3 year warranty. They sell out about as fast as Primeweld receives them so you may have to wait a bit.
    That I have to look at, I know a couple guys that have the Primeweld 225 Tig and love it. Thanks for the heads up.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I'll be watching this closely... I've been thinking about a small, home-shop type MIG welder to augment my Syncrowave 350. It's not often I find something where I think I'd prefer MIG over TIG or stick, but every now and then something comes up.

What about consumables? Might be worth comparing the cost and prevalence of tips, nozzles, liners, etc. for the units you're looking at. I'm not sure how things have changed, but I seem to recall the early Harbor Freight wire feed welders used an odd-ball tip so you had to buy their junky tips instead of using a standard 1/4-28 tip. I've always favored Miller because they've been dependable and parts were easy to find. It's a shame to hear that the local service centers are so unhelpful these days...

Comment

I have been happy with my Hobart Handler 180 (have had it about 10 years now). I've no idea why, but I could immediately lay notably better beads with it than I could with the Lincoln it replaced.
        I got lucky and got a killer deal on it from Tractor Supply. It came as a package with the welder, a cart, bottle (IIRC), regulator/flowmeter, a big spool of wire, an auto darkening hood, and gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

How many hours do you have on it so far? I already have a Tig machine and a stick welder for backup, so don't need the redundancy, but the price is close to the Miller so not out of the question.
          Not many hours; I haven't used it in over 2 years! That's because I enjoy using the TIG. Not in any hurry, or welding on cars (TIG can burn up the computer) so I never use it. Even have an aluminum spool gun for it. I have less than 2 hours on the square wave TIG weld to; use my Everlast ALL the time.

Comment

I have been very happy with the Miller 211 I got about 8 years ago, but I'm an amateur so maybe I don't know what I'm missing or how to be critical of it.
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
              I have been happy with my Hobart Handler 180 (have had it about 10 years now). I've no idea why, but I could immediately lay notably better beads with it than I could with the Lincoln it replaced.
              I got lucky and got a killer deal on it from Tractor Supply. It came as a package with the welder, a cart, bottle (IIRC), regulator/flowmeter, a big spool of wire, an auto darkening hood, and gloves.
              At the moment I'm leaning towards the Hobart 210. I watched a couple reviews on Youtube and they do look to have noticeably smoother transfer. Local store has several instock and usually there is a sale coming up after Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Yup,and I generally like the Miller stuff I have at work, though none of it is newer than 2005. Biggest reason I am hesitant to buy Miller this time, is their service centers local to me have two standard answers-

#1 "The board is shot, it would be cheaper to buy a new welder"
                #2 "4-6 weeks"
                I had a Diversion 180, just out of warranty, bad board, $1200. I opted not to fix it, and not to buy another Miller. When the mig dies, it will not be replaced by a Miller either.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                  A Kemppi, from your POV it would be an import.
                  Mine is a Kemppi as well. It was imported at one time of course, but I bought from my younger brother who was a distributor for Kemppi in the US years ago. It's been a good machine for me but honestly I have used it more for DC stick and scratch TIG. A couple years ago I bought a nearly new Arc Pig off eBay and added HF start/run to my TIG setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mig-tig.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1908389
                  Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I have an HF Titanium 170 which is dual voltage 120/240 and I am impressed with how well it welds with flux core, as I don't plan on getting a gas tank. All the inverter machines I have run are way smoother than transformer machines due to the higher frequency and lower ripple DC they put out. It appears nicely built and the wire feed mechanism is all metal but I have no ide of course how long it might last. I don't weld a lot so it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post

I had a Diversion 180, just out of warranty, bad board, $1200. I opted not to fix it, and not to buy another Miller. When the mig dies, it will not be replaced by a Miller either.
                      Do you still have it? If so, these people bailed me out the last time I have Miller board problems-

https://www.controlrepair.com/manufa...-electric/2096

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                        I have an HF Titanium 170 which is dual voltage 120/240 and I am impressed with how well it welds with flux core, as I don't plan on getting a gas tank. All the inverter machines I have run are way smoother than transformer machines due to the higher frequency and lower ripple DC they put out. It appears nicely built and the wire feed mechanism is all metal but I have no ide of course how long it might last. I don't weld a lot so it should be fine.
                        One of the guys at work has one of the Everlast inverter stick welders. It's amazingly smooth and surprisingly powerful for a welder not much bigger than a toaster oven.

Comment

I also use Kemppi welding machines. I have two, a MIG and a TIG. The MIG is really handy because of the way it is built. It is built on a two wheel truck sort of frame. So standing up it is easy to adjust. It is not so expensive either. I have the 253r Kempact machine. Three phase 250 amps. It has a really nice arc and welds like a dream. As much welding as you do Wierdscience I would think you would buy a good welder and not a cheapo Chinese import. Of course my Kemppi welders are imports as they come from Finland and I live in Germany.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

A Millermatic 211 is a bench top style machine. 1st gen was a transformer, second generation is an inverter.
                            If it was “full sized” it was a 210,212,251 or 252.
                            My mig machine is a 252 with a Spoolmatic 30A or an XR Alumapro push pull. The vast majority of the welding I do is tig.

Comment

"Which Import Mig welder do you have?"

I dont know? Hobart. Is that there??

What that fuk does import have to do with this place man!

I have an old Hobart TIG Machine.

I even went the third step and got or made the HF peddle. Yes, dial in frequency. I changed it from too high of a voltage to something safe,

And usable. JR
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X