Which Import Mig welder do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Hey Wierdscience - did you end up buying one? Any reviews you want to share? Still thinking about getting something for myself and would appreciate hearing your thoughts.
    Not yet, ended up having some repair work on the house first, welder purchase is next. Still going to go with the Hobart when I do, hoping TSC will have a sale on them soon
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I’ve had a lot of luck with thermal arc, I think they are esab connected though not sure, I bought the three in one, an AC tig and 40A plasma set off them, the three came in less than the hypertherm cut40 that got stolen, I’m happy, heavy build, lots of US innards good machines ( I was happy they gave me a rotobroach panther FOC, I think the rep felt sorry for me when he saw my new empty shop organisational plan)
      mark

Comment

I bought a Hobart 175 Handler about 20 years ago. Runs on 220-1 and the only thing that i have needed to replace was the hose for the gun. TSC was running a sale on them for about $720.00 at that time. After trying the wire with flux core, I went and bought a bottle of gas. The welder came with a regulator and hose. It has served me well, especially for thin metal. Another nice feature is if you have a need to build up a place to mill down, it does not leave undercut. Good luck.
        Sarge41

On edit; Another tip that is handy, use spray silicone on the tip before welding. After using, let cool then all the slag built up on the tip just wipes off.

Last edited by sarge41; 05-20-2021, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post

On edit; Another tip that is handy, use spray silicone on the tip before welding. After using, let cool then all the slag built up on the tip just wipes off.
          If I'm running a rod where spatter can be a problem (e.g. 6011) or using the flux core machine at work, I use Weld Kleen. If you buy it by the gallon, it's much cheaper than silicone spray and - more importantly - it's water soluble and leaves no residue after cleaning. Silicone spray probably works great but it's a PITA to clean off if you want to paint the weldment later.

https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Weld...s%2C161&sr=8-3

Thanks for the update, Wierdscience!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

If I'm running a rod where spatter can be a problem (e.g. 6011) or using the flux core machine at work, I use Weld Kleen. If you buy it by the gallon, it's much cheaper than silicone spray and - more importantly - it's water soluble and leaves no residue after cleaning. Silicone spray probably works great but it's a PITA to clean off if you want to paint the weldment later.

https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Weld...s%2C161&sr=8-3

Thanks for the update, Wierdscience!
            Glad to know about the Weld-Kleen. I'm sure it works better than the spray silicone, but no more welding than I do these days, it wouldn't be worthwhile. speaking about the silicone, i don't use it on the weldment, only in the nose of the gun. Never had any problem with painting any weldment. Thanks for the info. Stay safe.
            Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post

Glad to know about the Weld-Kleen. I'm sure it works better than the spray silicone, but no more welding than I do these days, it wouldn't be worthwhile. speaking about the silicone, i don't use it on the weldment, only in the nose of the gun. Never had any problem with painting any weldment. Thanks for the info. Stay safe.
              Sarge41
              Oops - I missed the fact that you were talking about the tip only!

Comment

Working...
              X