X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
    I like my miller 211 for home use and it is a little older model. I talked to a guy that used his in production environment and had all kinds of issues. Mine I got used and has been perfect and easy to use. with great results
    Which Miller 211 is it? The current small frame portable one, or the older 250lb wheeled machine? Miller seems to have changed their model numbers around again. A millermatic 211 today isn't at all the same machine as one from a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    One thing on a MIG that is important to me,
    is to be able to weld sheet metal thickness
    as well as 1/4 to 3/8" thickness equally well.
    I have seen some videos, and high frequency
    pulse MIG seems to be really nice to accomplish
    this.
    I have a Linde 200 amp MIG and it rocks for 3/16
    to 1/2" thickness, but even with .032" wire, it
    sucks at sheet metal thickness.

-Doozer
    The 175 was useable down to 18 gauge with .023 with 1/4" or less stick out. I could go thinner with Silicon or Aluminum Bronze filler. I guess the new pulse migs would be better,but I can't justify the added expense/complexity. Welding machines are getting like pickup trucks, too many features.

Leave a comment:

• no704
    replied
    I’ve got one branded Clark. Got it off jc Whitney years back. 220v has 5 voltage settings + hi/lo. Variable feed. Can run gas, valve in gun Been a great little welder for the $400 I paid.

Leave a comment:

• Ed ke6bnl
    replied
    I like my miller 211 for home use and it is a little older model. I talked to a guy that used his in production environment and had all kinds of issues. Mine I got used and has been perfect and easy to use. with great results

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    One thing on a MIG that is important to me,
    is to be able to weld sheet metal thickness
    as well as 1/4 to 3/8" thickness equally well.
    I have seen some videos, and high frequency
    pulse MIG seems to be really nice to accomplish
    this.
    I have a Linde 200 amp MIG and it rocks for 3/16
    to 1/2" thickness, but even with .032" wire, it
    sucks at sheet metal thickness.

-Doozer
    Last edited by Doozer; 11-01-2020, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    started a topic Which Import Mig welder do you have?

Which Import Mig welder do you have?

My old Lincoln 175 died and can't be revived, so I am Mig welder shopping. It looks like everything in the 180-210 amp 220vac range is import. Don't get me started on Linc/Miller service, it doesn't really exist at this price point. Also there are no used machines in my area, period, full stop.

I cannot complain about the 175, it was one of the cheaper machines when I got it 15 years ago and it's been rode hard and put up wet most of its life.

What I want-
    Must be 220v 1~ input.
    Must be shield gas capable out of the box.
    Just a straight Mig welder, no multi-process machines allowed.
    Knob and Dials preferred, digital this or that not so much.
    Homeshop machine, but needs to be capable of single pass welds in 1/4" mild steel with at least a 20-25% duty cycle.
    Portability,this will run solid wire and C25 in the shop and flux core outdoors.

What I have found so far-
    Millermatic 211 All China components , assembled/boxed in the US. $1300 3yr warranty.
    Everlast Power i-Mig 200 E China with some Taiwanese/Korean components $590 5yr warranty.
    Lincoln 180C Mexico with I am assuming Chinese components $750 3yr warranty.
    Vulcan(Harbor Freight) China $700 1yr warranty.
    Hobart 190 Assembled in US $700 2yr warranty.
    Hobart 210 MVP $950 Assembled in US 2yr warranty.

Anybody that owns any of the above I would like to hear your experiences. I am also open to suggestions in the $700-1300 range, possibly more if there is a quality jump.
    Don't need any process advice, I've been welding almost daily for a few decades
Working...
X