Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Chess. I love chess. No one to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Yes. I waited for a move and there were none, cept for the code stuff which I apparently need to learn.

So black went out first. Queen and King in the wrong spot was a faux pas. JR
    Have you actually read and understood the rules ?

Can you answer these questions...

How should the board be azimuthally oriented relative to the players ?

What are the rules for castling ?

What is pawn promotion and the rules governing it ?

How does a piece become pinned ?

What is a knight fork ?

How do you capture en passant ?

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I used to love to play chess when I was a kid. Only problem was no one else new how to play anything other than checkers !

Didn't have computers to play against back then.

JL.............

Comment

[QUOTE=mklotz;n1908233]

Have you actually read and understood the rules ?

Can you answer these questions...

How should the board be azimuthally oriented relative to the players ?

White square right corner

What are the rules for castling ?

Certain time pieriod

What is pawn promotion and the rules governing it ?

Dont know

How does a piece become pinned ?

Dont know

What is a knight fork ?

Dont know

How do you capture en passant ?

Diagonally

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

What a great game --- me and my brothers used to play a fair amount but have not played in decades, they used to beat me all the time cuz my attention span was lacking --- then for a few years I really did try to take it seriously --- seemed to be winning maybe half the time but took too much brain power and just wanted to be happy so went back to drinking and chasing skirts... lol

I have the utmost respect for anyone that is really good at it, to see that far ahead with all the variables is truly amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

I have the utmost respect for anyone that is really good at it, to see that far ahead with all the variables is truly amazing...
            The key to chess is to ELIMINATE variables and concentrate on the best possible moves, or at least the better ones, if rvaluating the opponent's choices. All the things that are not advantageous get eliminated. Of course, then if the opponent does them anyway, you know what to do.
            1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

The key to chess is to ELIMINATE variables and concentrate on the best possible moves, or at least the better ones, if rvaluating the opponent's choices. All the things that are not advantageous get eliminated. Of course, then if the opponent does them anyway, you know what to do.
              The way I play is probably not conventional because I never read a book on it or was never taught.

I do have some standard opening moves and then its just cat and mouse. My plan? do NOT make a mistake, that will get you dead. To not make mistakes is the easiest for me. I play defense almost exclusively.

Moves ahead? Varies. Hard for me to do when the board is still full. After about half empty I will have one or two strategy's with a few moves planned ahead. Not always. JR

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                If you can't find opponents easily, you can still improve your play a great deal by solving chess problems.

Here's one to try...

Set up a situation on the board where white is in check and his only legal move to cancel the check checkmates black. It's called a helpless mate.
                I am lazy. I would have to set my board up to figure it out!! Err. Will Do. Give me some time.

Sorry. So sorry for the late response. I just saw this. Got piled p.

Thank you ahead of time before I go see this.

And any invitation to play chess online via VP would be cool.

Ill kick ass

Comment

I recommend the recent Netflix series "The Queen's Gambit" to everyone but especially if you like chess. - metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                  X