Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Project, a little different

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by AntonLargiader View Post

    The ones in the last pic with the dime. Screws, whatever. It would just add a layer of depth if the allen heads were recessed a bit; no need to be flush. But maybe the visuals are more appropriate with the slightly cruder look of them being right on the surface. I'm not an artist!

    Doesn't matter if they're real or not.
    Not sure I’d use the term crude, but yes, in general steam punk stuff is not as well refined as today’s consumer products. The whole idea is to be very mechanical and visual. Not smooth, hidden and digitally driven.

    Comment


    • #17
      looking forward to seeing the progress, it'll be a beautiful marvel for sure even if I can't understand how it works!

      Comment


      • #18
        Not to overly complicate things, but you could use a real boiler driving a dynamo that supplies voltage through a regulator to drive the electric motor if you wanted to "One Up" the steam punk crowd and make the artsy types quiver in feelings of inferiority.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          Not to overly complicate things, but you could use a real boiler driving a dynamo that supplies voltage through a regulator to drive the electric motor if you wanted to "One Up" the steam punk crowd and make the artsy types quiver in feelings of inferiority.
          That would be cool, but this will probably end up in my office at work. They probably would not appreciate a live steam boiler being stoked all the time!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

            That would be cool, but this will probably end up in my office at work. They probably would not appreciate a live steam boiler being stoked all the time!
            Ah the hell with them. Just make sure the boiler is coal fired. Nothing like the smell of coal smoke on a cold winter morning. If you're office mates don't appreciate it, that's their problem

            Kidding aside, I look forward to watching this build. Should be really cool.

            Comment


            • #21
              What are the reduction ratios?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by old mart View Post
                What are the reduction ratios?
                60:1 on each of the worm gears.

                The drive motor is 60 rpm

                Sid

                Comment


                • #23
                  To add to the illusion could you put a smoke generator out of a model railroad engine in the stack. Its been awhile since I was in model RRing so I don't know what is available and in what power requirements.

                  lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by larry_g View Post
                    To add to the illusion could you put a smoke generator out of a model railroad engine in the stack. Its been awhile since I was in model RRing so I don't know what is available and in what power requirements.

                    lg
                    no neat sig line
                    I was thinking about using a couple of flickering LEDs for fire simulation when the boiler door(s?) are open

                    sid

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Definitely - both would be cool (and pretty easy) additions!
                      Location: North Central Texas

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X