Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper storage of lubricating oil and solvents? (Have insurance inspection)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the museum, we keep paint and solvents in steel cupboards and keep the doors closed when they are not being accessed. This keeps the insurance company happy. If there was a fire, the spread would hopefully be slowed down and give the fire brigade more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

You agree that Reggie has the right to tell you how to conduct your personal business ?
      Who is he, your daddy ???

-D
      He certainly has the right to offer his opinion, same as you. Why shouldn't he? I can judge whether on not to accept it. It's different than dropping a dime on your neighbor, which I've had happen too. Had a prick across the street who called the buildings dept every time he thought I was working without a permit. Even stupid stuff like changing out a water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

He certainly has the right to offer his opinion, same as you. Why shouldn't he? I can judge whether on not to accept it. It's different than dropping a dime on your neighbor, which I've had happen too. Had a prick across the street who called the buildings dept every time he thought I was working without a permit. Even stupid stuff like changing out a water heater.
        Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
        You're running a business in the basement of a multi-family dwelling, get you're sh*t straight.
        Get your sh*t straight does not sound like offering an opinion to me.
        But whatever.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Get your sh*t straight does not sound like offering an opinion to me.
          But whatever.
          -Doozer
          In my interpretation of that, he's telling me to live by my own code that I cited above, 'don't be idiot, don't be an asshole'. If I'm going to break the rules, do it smart and as safe as possible. Fair enough IMO. I did not interpret that as 'shut down your shop'.

Comment

Hey man, I have no hard feelings towards Reggie or anyone.
            I don't think any decent person goes out of to put themselves
            or others in danger, be it chemicals or fire risk or whatever.
            I don't want to burn my shop down, nor the neighbor's house.
            I just can't stand someone getting into my business.
            When I see someone displaying the attitude of authority that
            they do not have, I get very interested, as they might be a
            threat to my freedom. Do what you think you need to do and
            I will do the same. But my eyes and ears are always open
            for those who display signals that they want to dominate
            someone else.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Hey man, I have no hard feelings towards Reggie or anyone.
              I don't think any decent person goes out of to put themselves
              or others in danger, be it chemicals or fire risk or whatever.
              I don't want to burn my shop down, nor the neighbor's house.
              I just can't stand someone getting into my business.
              When I see someone displaying the attitude of authority that
              they do not have, I get very interested, as they might be a
              threat to my freedom. Do what you think you need to do and
              I will do the same. But my eyes and ears are always open
              for those who display signals that they want to dominate
              someone else.

-Doozer
              I guess one man's friendly advice can be another man's domination. Have you never done something incredibly ****ing stupid that you wished someone had advised you not to or that you had listened to the people who had? I wish I could say that!

Without getting all political, this is exactly what's playing out now in the 'mask wars' across this country. One person's common sense is another's 'loss of freedom'.

Comment

I guess one man's friendly advice can be another man's domination. Have you never done something incredibly ****ing stupid that you wished someone had advised you not to or that you had listened to the people who had? I wish I could say that!

Without getting all political, this is exactly what's playing out now in the 'mask wars' across this country. One person's common sense is another's 'loss of freedom'.
                Wow. You sum it up quite well. Thanks.
                Whiskey and hookers for everyone, on my tab.

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Wow. You sum it up quite well. Thanks.
                  Whiskey and hookers for everyone, on my tab.

-Doozer
                  Pass on the hookers but I'll tip some Old Crow in your honor later. You'd have to have really blown my mind to get the good stuff!

Comment

Some years back a (very good) friend gave me a bottle of Pappy van Winkle bourbon. I've never had anything like it. Not in my budget, though, it was around $120 fifteen years ago.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...K29huod5WU6UAr

-js
                    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 11-03-2020, 08:37 PM.
                    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I like my bourbon too much to consider the investment grade stuff! There's some quite good bottles to be had for under $50, some of them wheaters like Pappy. Even Rebel Yell is a wheater. My current 'top shelf bottle' is a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Fantastic stuff and only like $40. We visited the distillery last year on a 'bourbon and BBQ' tour of Kentucky.

Comment

I always buy the "old guy" at the bar a shot,
                        just because he is there. Keeps me on the
                        good side of the local gentry.

-Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Well, it's over, and not anything like I feared. But it's good to fear sometimes and rethink your sh*t. I think the rarely used flammables will stay in the well ventilated garage, and some not touched in decades like the gallon of linseed oil need to go. I put a couple dozen decades untouched rattle cans in a bag and that will go to the waste disposal plant.

Dude was nice, admired the shop and said he used to be an automotive machinist. Was interested in the boiler, electric panels, hallways, fire escape and roof. At the end I kinda pumped him what red flags he looks for, and the non-obvious one was yellow jacketed flex gas line. He said they're not properly grounded and lightning strikes have lit places up! Good thing he didn't see the gas riser repair done years ago with the yellow flex line. I gotta look into that.

Comment

I've only ever seen that yellow stuff for appliance connections. And it was solid metal, seems like it would be conductive, maybe not as good as rigid pipe..... Do they not accept it for connections there?
                            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              I've only ever seen that yellow stuff for appliance connections. And it was solid metal, seems like it would be conductive, maybe not as good as rigid pipe..... Do they not accept it for connections there?
                              I had a new boiler in a house 8 years ago and they ran a 50' new line from the meter of 1" yellow jacket stainless. Permits and city inspected. It uses a compression fitting to the old metal, seems to me conduction should be continuous, but apparently there are issues. Gonna look into it.

Edit: so apparently the steel gas distribution system needs to be bonded, not the stainless flex (AKA CSST, Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing). Seems an issue because street mains are now PE and not providing a ground.
                              Last edited by gellfex; 11-04-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Well, it's over, and not anything like I feared. But it's good to fear sometimes and rethink your sh*t. I think the rarely used flammables will stay in the well ventilated garage, and some not touched in decades like the gallon of linseed oil need to go. I put a couple dozen decades untouched rattle cans in a bag and that will go to the waste disposal plant.

Dude was nice, admired the shop and said he used to be an automotive machinist. Was interested in the boiler, electric panels, hallways, fire escape and roof. At the end I kinda pumped him what red flags he looks for, and the non-obvious one was yellow jacketed flex gas line. He said they're not properly grounded and lightning strikes have lit places up! Good thing he didn't see the gas riser repair done years ago with the yellow flex line. I gotta look into that.
                                Glad you passed, Good for you.
                                FYI: https://www.structuretech.com/blog/c...s-final-update

Comment

Working...
                                X