Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper storage of lubricating oil and solvents? (Have insurance inspection)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by gellfex View Post
    It would be grounding the gas line, not grounding the elec to the gas line. It presumes your panel is properly grounded.

OK, there was mention of the street mains. Maybe he meant that the hookup lines for gas are now being done with that orange plastic, which obviously is not a ground, and the change would have un-grounded the facility pipes. That would make sense, and fits what you said. That would be if your lines are like that. Not all are (yet). If they are still steel, they would be grounded, albeit not very well, simply by being in the dirt.

A "proper ground" can have up to 25 ohms resistance (or whatever two rods give), which is only a little under a 5A current at 120V, not near enough to pop a breaker.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Last issue of NEC I have specifically FORBIDS grounding to ANY gas line........
    It would be grounding the gas line, not grounding the elec to the gas line. It presumes your panel is properly grounded.

reggie_obe I already read that! I'm a bit uncertain how well grounded my panel is, unlike another property that actually has stakes into the slab. But happily, it sounds like the the risk is greatest in gas lines in the attic, and both of mine are well below that.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

I had a new boiler in a house 8 years ago and they ran a 50' new line from the meter of 1" yellow jacket stainless. Permits and city inspected. It uses a compression fitting to the old metal, seems to me conduction should be continuous, but apparently there are issues. Gonna look into it.

Edit: so apparently the steel gas distribution system needs to be bonded, not the stainless flex (AKA CSST, Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing). Seems an issue because street mains are now PE and not providing a ground.
    Last issue of NEC I have specifically FORBIDS grounding to ANY gas line........

(B) Not Permitted for Use as Grounding Electrodes.
    The following systems and materials shall not be used as
    grounding electrodes:
    (1) Metal underground gas piping systems

There IS a requirement IF the gas piping is likely to become energized, that it be "bonded to" a legitimate grounding electrode. That is a slight but important difference from being THE actual PE, and seems to allow bonding the internal piping, with no requirement for pipes outside.

(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in, or attached to, a
    building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including
    gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be
    bonded to any· of the following:
    (1) Equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is
    likely to energize the piping system
    (2) Serviceequipinent enclosure
    (3) Grounded conductor at the service
    (4) Grounding electrode conductor, if of sufficient size
    (5) One or more grounding electrodes used

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Well, it's over, and not anything like I feared. But it's good to fear sometimes and rethink your sh*t. I think the rarely used flammables will stay in the well ventilated garage, and some not touched in decades like the gallon of linseed oil need to go. I put a couple dozen decades untouched rattle cans in a bag and that will go to the waste disposal plant.

Dude was nice, admired the shop and said he used to be an automotive machinist. Was interested in the boiler, electric panels, hallways, fire escape and roof. At the end I kinda pumped him what red flags he looks for, and the non-obvious one was yellow jacketed flex gas line. He said they're not properly grounded and lightning strikes have lit places up! Good thing he didn't see the gas riser repair done years ago with the yellow flex line. I gotta look into that.
    Glad you passed, Good for you.
    FYI: https://www.structuretech.com/blog/c...s-final-update

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I've only ever seen that yellow stuff for appliance connections. And it was solid metal, seems like it would be conductive, maybe not as good as rigid pipe..... Do they not accept it for connections there?
    I had a new boiler in a house 8 years ago and they ran a 50' new line from the meter of 1" yellow jacket stainless. Permits and city inspected. It uses a compression fitting to the old metal, seems to me conduction should be continuous, but apparently there are issues. Gonna look into it.

Edit: so apparently the steel gas distribution system needs to be bonded, not the stainless flex (AKA CSST, Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing). Seems an issue because street mains are now PE and not providing a ground.
    Last edited by gellfex; 11-04-2020, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I've only ever seen that yellow stuff for appliance connections. And it was solid metal, seems like it would be conductive, maybe not as good as rigid pipe..... Do they not accept it for connections there?

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Well, it's over, and not anything like I feared. But it's good to fear sometimes and rethink your sh*t. I think the rarely used flammables will stay in the well ventilated garage, and some not touched in decades like the gallon of linseed oil need to go. I put a couple dozen decades untouched rattle cans in a bag and that will go to the waste disposal plant.

Dude was nice, admired the shop and said he used to be an automotive machinist. Was interested in the boiler, electric panels, hallways, fire escape and roof. At the end I kinda pumped him what red flags he looks for, and the non-obvious one was yellow jacketed flex gas line. He said they're not properly grounded and lightning strikes have lit places up! Good thing he didn't see the gas riser repair done years ago with the yellow flex line. I gotta look into that.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    I always buy the "old guy" at the bar a shot,
    just because he is there. Keeps me on the
    good side of the local gentry.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    I like my bourbon too much to consider the investment grade stuff! There's some quite good bottles to be had for under $50, some of them wheaters like Pappy. Even Rebel Yell is a wheater. My current 'top shelf bottle' is a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Fantastic stuff and only like $40. We visited the distillery last year on a 'bourbon and BBQ' tour of Kentucky.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Some years back a (very good) friend gave me a bottle of Pappy van Winkle bourbon. I've never had anything like it. Not in my budget, though, it was around $120 fifteen years ago.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...K29huod5WU6UAr

-js
    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 11-03-2020, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Wow. You sum it up quite well. Thanks.
    Whiskey and hookers for everyone, on my tab.

-Doozer
    Pass on the hookers but I'll tip some Old Crow in your honor later. You'd have to have really blown my mind to get the good stuff!

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

I guess one man's friendly advice can be another man's domination. Have you never done something incredibly ****ing stupid that you wished someone had advised you not to or that you had listened to the people who had? I wish I could say that!

Without getting all political, this is exactly what's playing out now in the 'mask wars' across this country. One person's common sense is another's 'loss of freedom'.
    Wow. You sum it up quite well. Thanks.
    Whiskey and hookers for everyone, on my tab.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Hey man, I have no hard feelings towards Reggie or anyone.
    I don't think any decent person goes out of to put themselves
    or others in danger, be it chemicals or fire risk or whatever.
    I don't want to burn my shop down, nor the neighbor's house.
    I just can't stand someone getting into my business.
    When I see someone displaying the attitude of authority that
    they do not have, I get very interested, as they might be a
    threat to my freedom. Do what you think you need to do and
    I will do the same. But my eyes and ears are always open
    for those who display signals that they want to dominate
    someone else.

-Doozer
    I guess one man's friendly advice can be another man's domination. Have you never done something incredibly ****ing stupid that you wished someone had advised you not to or that you had listened to the people who had? I wish I could say that!

Without getting all political, this is exactly what's playing out now in the 'mask wars' across this country. One person's common sense is another's 'loss of freedom'.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Hey man, I have no hard feelings towards Reggie or anyone.
    I don't think any decent person goes out of to put themselves
    or others in danger, be it chemicals or fire risk or whatever.
    I don't want to burn my shop down, nor the neighbor's house.
    I just can't stand someone getting into my business.
    When I see someone displaying the attitude of authority that
    they do not have, I get very interested, as they might be a
    threat to my freedom. Do what you think you need to do and
    I will do the same. But my eyes and ears are always open
    for those who display signals that they want to dominate
    someone else.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Get your sh*t straight does not sound like offering an opinion to me.
    But whatever.
    -Doozer
    In my interpretation of that, he's telling me to live by my own code that I cited above, 'don't be idiot, don't be an asshole'. If I'm going to break the rules, do it smart and as safe as possible. Fair enough IMO. I did not interpret that as 'shut down your shop'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X