Finally got a decent hydraulic press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a decent hydraulic press

Picked this 75 ton press up the other day and am quite tickled even though it's not even close to being a you suck tool. I'd been looking a long time for a high quality hydraulic press for a reasonable price but wasn't having any luck. Actually I have all the parts to build a 50 ton unit with an arbor press on the side and I still may do that but for now I'm excited about the K R Wilson. The data plate says it weighs 1546 lbs and I believe it. The uprights are 1 1/2" thick by 3 1/2" wide, basically a steel 2 x 4. I'd never seen an H frame built this well until now.

It was sitting in an unheated shop so when I got it in my heated shop the high speed pump started dripping a bit and the bottom brace is bent. In addition there are 2 gear teeth broken on the lifting winch and the cover to the reservoir is missing but I'm still pleased with the score.

Last edited by nc5a; 11-04-2020, 01:22 PM. Reason: added gear teeth

You probably already know this but make sure that you stay clear of anything that could fly out of that press. I used to run 300 ton presses mostly assembling cold former tooling and those presses had 1" lexan all around. There were also some cracks in the lexan. When things go wrong in a large press it's like a hand grenade going off in there.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

http://www.devinmfg.com/krwilson.html
      DZER

Comment

You have Great looking press.
        If you don't mind what price range do they go for.

Hal

Comment

Nice press!

How do you move the table up & down? Or is that what the forklift is for...

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Ian read last paragraph of first post..

Comment

Is it power up and down? Electric pump?

Power up is important if you're punching. It can take significant force to pull the punch up out of the punched hole.

I bought a Canadian made press very similar to that one. $2K at auction, I would have gotten it for less except a dealer I purchased a lot of machines from was bidding against me. When I glared at him he quit bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
                You have Great looking press.
                If you don't mind what price range do they go for.

Hal
                Thanks, I'm not sure what something like this goes for because I've never seen one like this before. But in Alaska sellers ask premium for their presses. I tried to buy an older (orange/white) 25 ton OTC manual press last year and the guy wouldn't budge off $2000. Another guy was asking $4000 for a 50 ton OTC with a small power pack that sounded like there were tin cans rattling inside the pump, plus it was in poor condition.

Doozer thanks for the link, I already sent them a message.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                  Is it power up and down? Electric pump?

Power up is important if you're punching. It can take significant force to pull the punch up out of the punched hole.

I bought a Canadian made press very similar to that one. $2K at auction, I would have gotten it for less except a dealer I purchased a lot of machines from was bidding against me. When I glared at him he quit bidding.
                  It has a single acting cylinder, 4 heavy duty springs pull the cylinder back up. I would prefer a double acting ram for the pull feature but I considered myself lucky to get this. I can upgrade it though.

Comment

Nice press! I have been on the lookout for a while for one just like that.

Comment

Very nice small shop press. Once all fixed she will eat JR
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

".........it's not even close to being a you suck tool." It's a press. So does that mean we can say "you squeeze!" ?

Looks like it's going to be a great addition to the shop. Congratulations on a good find.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                          ".........it's not even close to being a you suck tool." It's a press. So does that mean we can say "you squeeze!" ?

Looks like it's going to be a great addition to the shop. Congratulations on a good find.
                          Good start on the Brayton cycle: 'suck, squeeze, blow & go' - at least, that's how we learned it in A&P school!
                          Southwest Utah

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194 (2).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1908663
                            Attached Files
                            DZER

Comment

That's way better than decent. Great find. 75 T is way more than I would ever need.

JL...................

Comment

Working...
                              X