Steam Punk Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Punk Clock

So, I thought I would start a specific build thread that I will post the build pictures in.

Thanks, Sid

Definitely worth a thread of it's own!

Comment

I will be following. Nice work, Sid----Brian
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Perfect pictures of fascinating work. Keep 'em coming!
        Southwest Utah

Comment

This looks cool! Can't wait to see how this goes!

I wish we had the animated emojis from a couple of years ago. I really want the one that eats popcorn. That would totally fit my mood here!

J

Comment

Originally posted by rebelrodder View Post
            This looks cool! Can't wait to see how this goes!

I wish we had the animated emojis from a couple of years ago. I really want the one that eats popcorn. That would totally fit my mood here!

J

Comment

Not a lot of progress this week. Paying work got in the way.

Comment

bloody hell, you don't hang around! How did you cut the small bevel gear? Is it one piece or pressed into the larger piece that you're tapping in one of the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                  bloody hell, you don't hang around! How did you cut the small bevel gear? Is it one piece or pressed into the larger piece that you're tapping in one of the pictures?
                  I cannot take credit for the gears (Boston gear made them). I designed the clock around the readily available gears. The disk was added for two reasons. Once I reamed the small gear to ID, I needed some thickness for the set screw. Secondly, it looks like a flywheel, all be it small.

Sid

Comment

If this is going to be a clock you will need to keep the engine RPM essentially constant. I see no governor. How will you do it?
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                      If this is going to be a clock you will need to keep the engine RPM essentially constant. I see no governor. How will you do it?
                      It will be electric. Not an actual engine will run the clock. He wrote about it in his first post.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Hi Sid, Have you done anything on that project we messaged about? I keep looking at it but haven't found the time to get started.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

thanks! Truly beautiful work. Macro photography hides no sins and there aren't any on show

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                            Like BF said, this clock is going to be electric. I am driving the vertical shaft with a 120v ac motor that will be hidden in the boiler. I just want he a steam punk clock that actually had plausible components. Not just “stuff” added on that looks like it might be steam related.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                              Hi Sid, Have you done anything on that project we messaged about? I keep looking at it but haven't found the time to get started.
                              I’m sloowly gathering parts. That’s probably a spring-summer project next year.

Sid

Comment

Working...
                              X