• Show
Clear All

• Lathe tool grinding jig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	news 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	1908807

I have one of the "Universal Tool Grinders" or a copy of the Deckel S0 D-bit grinders and yes I know they are not really a universal grinder. Most of the Chinese copies come with extra attachments including one for grinding square lathe bits. The first problem is the holder is about 7/8" x 3/4" so the lathe bits need to be shimmed into place somehow and that adds the problem of getting the bit square to machine itself. My solution is the block shown in the picture. It holds 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 square bits and just slides into the machines holder with the bit in question on the bottom and then the screws holding it in are tightened. Easy peasy.

I sharpened a bit today for the first time and it worked great, flipping the bit over to sharpen the "other" side is now a simple and quick operation.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Must be missing one degree of freedom.
    Nice job.

-D
    DZER

Comment

That's the way to do it.

I made a similar type holder / adapter so I could hold my smaller shank tool bits in my BXA tool holders

JL....

​​​

Comment

Working...
      X