Got My Outside Chamfer Tool Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got My Outside Chamfer Tool Today

And I have to say that I'm not impressed at all by the workmanship or the finish it leaves.

They must have ripped through those slots as fast as the cutter could move through it. Never even bothered to deburr the edges. The cutting edges are finished the same burrs and snags.

I did a couple test cuts with it.

The chamfer cut is left all scored with radial lines and the edges of each side of the chamfer are left with burrs. It doesn't leave a smooth finish, in fact it more or less plows through the material leaving windrow burrs on each side. I could do 100 times better with a regular late tool bit.

It's supposed to chamfer down to 1/4" dia stock but won't go much below 5/16". When I tried to chamfer 1/4" it cut more or less of a step on the edge, all burred.

Maybe I got a bad one or should try a different brand. I really didn't expect anything this bad. I thought it would be finished as nice as all my counter sinks are.

JL...................

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20201106-171123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	1908991

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20201106-171256.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	1908992

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201106-171523.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1908995
    Attached Files

That is horrible, who made that thing? A blind Chimp with a Hatchet and Fine?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Looks like you have choices. Two of them.

Get in there with a type 12 wheel and clean that up, or take it up with the supplier.
      3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

The only thing that got deburred was your wallet. That is disgusting.
        John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
          That is horrible, who made that thing? A blind Chimp with a Hatchet and Fine?
          It's made by HTC Tool. Made in USA. Michigan I think.

If it came from china or india and the price was $10 I could see it.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            Looks like you have choices. Two of them.

Get in there with a type 12 wheel and clean that up, or take it up with the supplier.
            It's going back.
            I called the company earlier today. The guy apparently pulled one off the shelf and looked at it. I told him this thing looks horrible. I can't remember the word he used, but it was something like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, something to that extent. Either he's blind or I got a bad one, which means there is a whole bad batch of these that look exactly like the one I have.

I can see how thy are made, CNC cut, bar stock feeders feeding stock as fast as they can plunge the cutter in.

Tomorrow I'll post pics on how it cuts. I have some 12L and brass I'll use.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by john b;n1909012[COLOR=#c0392b
              ]The only thing that got deburred was your wallet. [/COLOR]That is disgusting.
              Not yet it hasn't !!

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                It's made by HTC Tool. Made in USA. Michigan I think.

If it came from china or india and the price was $10 I could see it.

JL...............
                HTC, usually has good stuff. That cutter looks like it went through heat treat and was never ground.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

HTC, usually has good stuff. That cutter looks like it went through heat treat and was never ground.
                  Yes, that's exactly what it looks like, weather it was deliberate or a mistake / cost cutting measure is yet to be known.

I have a few counter sink inside chamfer tools and they are all ground, even the flutes. Grinding wouldn't leave a burr.

JL................

Comment

how fast you running ? I would be at 150 or less especially on stainless..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      how fast you running ? I would be at 150 or less especially on stainless..
                      Running in back gear as slow as it'll go. Any faster it starts to chatter.

JL....

Comment

So I open the thread you made about these cutters you have been sourcing.

Sweet, he got them. I see the picture of the cutter and thinking maybe that is some new type of grind. Cause its ugly.

Oh, maybe they accidentally sent you a pre-grind cutter (bet its over sized). If not I am surprised. I have worked with HTC, good folks. JR

Edit: After looking at the photos again it looks like a "rougher" that didnt go through the entire grinding stage.
                        Last edited by JRouche; 11-07-2020, 01:53 AM.
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Looks like it came from India

Comment

Just where did they get a #1 grit wheel?
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

dont you see , its a roughing cutter. breaks the chips.

Comment

Working...
                              X