Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats is It Tool? Old fashioned digital indicators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats is It Tool? Old fashioned digital indicators.

Whats is It Tool? Old fashioned digital indicators. Why three? I have not tried to turn them on.

So I think they are digital plunge type gauges.

No big deal, we all have them.

What do these go to? If you know nice, if you don't know then I am with you also. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 dig.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1909268

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Why do they have to belong to anything? Why can't they just be indicators?

Your photo hosting sucks. I click on the cursor that indicates it will magnify them and I get a smaller version. Clicking on that does nothing. What the heck??? I wanted to read the brand name.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I think I have one in a snap gauge; for such an application the analogue representation would make it easier to use than digital
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

They are meant to be used on comparator stands. Digital and analog displays.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        Your photo hosting sucks. I click on the cursor that indicates it will magnify them and I get a smaller version. Clicking on that does nothing. What the heck??? I wanted to read the brand name.
        I don't have that issue in Firefox. They are sold under the Mahr Federal name in the US, but I think Mahr is the manufacturer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Why do they have to belong to anything? Why can't they just be indicators?

Try clicking on the photo again after the magnification symbol disappears. Each time I did it the picture was enlarged. The model and brand name is "MAXUM" by Federal of Providence RI USA. Resolution of the gauge is .001mm with a range of +/- 5mm

Comment

When I click on it while the "+" is still there, I get a somewhat bigger picture.

Perhaps some of your software is really what "sucks".
            3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

I have a couple of those and they're nice indicators. They use a special battery that's expensive if ordered from Federal, but you can get replacements from one of the electronic supply houses.

The display is electronic but with sort of a hybrid display. There's a zero setting and a digital display of the actual +- amount. Also, as you approach zero, there sort of a sweeping bar of graphic display to show how you're approaching the zero point or past it. Mine I think is metric meaning I'm measuring to .00004", close enough for who it's for.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Before I logged on, clicking on the picture gave just a tiny image, but having logged on, the picture is a usable 8" x 6", and then to 15 1/2" x 12" when I clicked on it on my 27" screen.
                I would like to see what the indicators look like when switched on. I wonder whether any usable alternative battery could be used in them?
                Federal is a quality manufacturer, most of the air gauging at work was their make.
                Last edited by old mart; 11-08-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

The black faces makes me think that it's got an LED display. Or possibly the blue display that was some other format and which was used on some of the calculators at the same time as LED's and prior to the shift to LCD.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I forget what the battery actually cost and it's been several years but something like $40 from Federal and $15 from Mouser. Don't quote me on that.

And I stand corrected that one of mine actually reads in inches but he last digit is just zero or five, IIRC the metric one actually shows the last digit so it would be finer grained by a few millionths FWIW.

The display is LCD to do the simulated dial indicator.

Attached Files
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I think the applications engineer I talked to sent me a .pdf of the manual which I should have somewhere if needed. I can't remember what all the other pushbuttons on the bottom do besides the big zero set so should probably review that myself.

Comment

That sort of indicator is intended for very fast checking of large batches, the excellent visibility allows instant reading within the set tolerances.
                        Am I right in thinking that most of the buttons can only be pressed with a ball point pen? If so, that would prevent accidental changes to the settings.
                        Last edited by old mart; 11-08-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          That sort of indicator is intended for very fast checking of large batches, the excellent visibility allows instant reading within the set tolerances.
                          Am I right in thinking that most of the buttons can only be pressed with a ball point pen? If so, that would prevent accidental changes to the settings.
                          Yes, the leftmost buttons require a pen or stylus. They set upper and lower limits if it's being used for go/no-go applications and offsetting the scale.

Interestingly there's no of/off switch. When the plunger is either fully extended or fully depressed it goes into standby mode and shows just a minus (or maybe a plus) sign to show that it's still alive.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSM_Gauge.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1909346
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

My Host Is Village Press.

My cost? Zip/

My complain factor. Same

I always say blame Geo....

Hahaaaaa....

JR

And oops. Operator error. Too fast to click.

If you slow down the big fat pics I take will be threr.

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X